UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> 5th degree BB in Vancouver

11/7/10 3:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dougie
846 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not that I am agreeing or disagreeing but this is stuff you see in a lot of TMA schools. It's a combo of pointfighting and some grappling. It doesn't look to me like they are trying to claim it is BJJ at all.

Having said that. If you are a BJJ BB you should be able to say who gave you your belt.

11/7/10 3:51 PM
monkeyroll
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You would think with all those World Champion "medals" and having even rolled with Helio, that some video or photo's exist. I know if I had the chance to meet Helio or Royce..I would at least have a photo or two. But I guess the person in question was too busy tooling everyone in Torrence to notice this was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
11/7/10 4:04 PM
CTD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like there are a few levels of these dudes. I have encountered three in the last three months.

Type 1 Pretender Douchebag- local storyteller who brags about his BJJ bb just to anyone in hearing distance. Generally no harm done because everyone knows what kind of blowhard he is. The one I met was stupid enough to claim Joe Doerksen as his "sensei" and claim he got his bb from him. Winnipeg is a small town, easy enough to check.

Type 2 Pretender Douchebag - still small scale but hoping no one checks up on him but harmful because he tries to make cash off of the claim. At least the one I found had the decency to pull back on his claims and apologize. Of course this type of PD will change his posters to submission grappling or MMA and still make money off of it, but at least no false claims. We have a couple of these guys in Winnipeg.

Type 3 Pretender Douchebag - the whole enchilada kind of guy. They are the ones that have bb's in a dozen or more arts, all over 3 dan. They have all trained military, police and special ops. They all have kool-aid drinking disciples that swear they are the real deal. They usually get very defensive and start claiming "secret family lineage" or that they were considered bb rank by someone like Helio and trained with him privately so that is why no one recognizes their name or trained with them.

I am sure there are more categories in the Pretender Douchebag realm. We all work too hard and put too much time in on that mat to let these guys continue to represent themselves falsely. Sadly, they may have started out with good intentions but their ego got the best of them and common sense never kicked in and told them to shut up.
11/7/10 4:06 PM
Dougie
846 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/07/10 4:06 PM
Looking at the videos I see a japanese style jiu jitsu with some judo and a bit of Wally Jay's small circle jiu jitsu and some very American Kenpo like strike attempts. Maybe it's just me but I am not seeing a super strong BJJ influence in anything presented here.

11/7/10 4:38 PM
yusul
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

''You people are incredibly funny lol I did not say I not incredibly proud of my lineage or any of my teachers and I had the great fortune of training with some incredible individuals.You have all made the exact assumptions I knew you would, which is typical of how people think when in forums on the net.''

it's an easy assumption to make (that you aren't proud of your lineage), if you don't give it and are willing to type paragraph after paragraph of deflecting and attacking text, instead of a 1 sentence answer. the question is very straightforward: who gave you your bjj black belt? also, who gave you your 'combat' jj 7th dan would be my additional question?

'All so called honorable martial artists, with proud heritage and use words like respect and honor yet act no different than a bully on a playground lol its actually very entertaining.'

lol at the self persecution complex. asking questions is bullying? sorry on the playground, bullies use coercion through violence or threatening violence. the only one threatening violence is....

'Heres a tidbit for you to entice your sense of thinking you know all about me. How many of you had the pleasure of rolling with GM Helio Gracie umm I did in and it sure wasnt a seminar I can say that for fact.lol and if you need further proof ask Royce himself, hes the one who was standing right there.''

finally, getting somewhere. someone could ask royce here as the community is small. so who gave you your bjj blackbelt?

''Oh but wait Im a nobody who has no background because God forbid I denounced a title on an internet page. Wow then on top of that YUSUL says Im a bad businessman the worst lol yet my classes are full all the time and I have a large private class database hmmmm guess Im not really that bad.'

i didn't say you were a bad businessman, i implied through SARCASM that it's a bad business practice not to let people know what your credentials are. even a conman grifts people and can make a lot of money. note, i wasn't calling you a conman; i was presenting an example to show you that a busy business also isn't necessarily a sign of a good business practice. there is a difference, shihan.

conning people is a bad business practice, simply because it can catch up to you, like the lottery scam and the woman who got donations because she pretended to have cancer. i'm slowing this down so you can understand, shihan.

also, nobody called you a nobody as far as i saw; that in english is what we call a strawman argument.

11/7/10 5:34 PM
scrappydoo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting. So if I asked about your lineage with all your other multiple black belts in other arts, will you remove them too? Wont be much of a resume then will it.
Any student wishing to be trained by you, should be able to ask about your credentials especially if your are charging them money for your instruction.

You fail.
11/7/10 6:18 PM
brigsy
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wish I had a popcorn munching gif.
11/7/10 6:36 PM
BushidoAristotle
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/07/10 6:40 PM
Tim Henry - 
One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance who ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Test of Three."

"Test of Three?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my student let's take a moment to test what you're going to say. The first test is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

No," the man said, "actually I just heard about It."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second test, the test of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.

Socrates continued. "You may still pass though, b ecause there is a third test - the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me at all?"

The man was defeated and ashamed. This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

All the best and sorry or long winded response.
Shihan Tim Henry
NOT 5th DAN BJJ

Hate to break it to you, but you went 1 for 3, Tim.

(1) Is it True?

Maybe not.

(2) Is it Good?

Depends.

For your business and reputation, no. For students aspiring to learn BJJ from a legitimate BJJ black belt, it is. Instead of being scammed and paying their hard earned money to an instructor who hasn't earned a black belt in the martial art that they wish to learn, they can find another instructor who won't be wasting their time and money.

So is it Good? For your business and reputation, no. For "your" students who wish to learn BJJ, Yes.

Is it Useful?

For those looking for a BJJ instructor, it is useful to know that you, Tim Henry, are not a legitimate BJJ black belt and are in fact, a JJJ practitioner.

So, Socrates, would in fact, welcome this bit of information to his Greek ears, for it passes his Test of Three. And then he would call you a sophist, for your deceitful argument.
11/7/10 6:44 PM
forreal

OK guys I have a question for you.

What do you call a guy who claims a black belt in arnis, karate, kung fu, tae kwon do, combat jujutsu, and aikido?

a bullshit artist.

Everyone here has trained martial arts for a good chunk of their lives. Have you ever met anyone ELSE who has this many BBs??
11/7/10 6:44 PM
forreal

OK guys I have a question for you.

What do you call a guy who claims a black belt in arnis, karate, kung fu, tae kwon do, combat jujutsu, and aikido?

a bullshit artist.

Everyone here has trained martial arts for a good chunk of their lives. Have you ever met anyone ELSE who has this many BBs??
11/7/10 6:46 PM
MMArijuana666
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd. I just started 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu a few months ago. If I had a black belt in BJJ and rolled with Helio and met Royce....shiiiit. I'd wave my lineage like a damn flag everywhere I went. Might een get a tattoo tracing me back to the likes of rorion or helio or fuck even renzo. Lol. This guy sucksbat life. Phone Post
11/7/10 7:23 PM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

forreal - OK guys I have a question for you.

a bullshit artist.

Ive met a few guys who have that many black belts and the one thing they all had in common was that very few of the ranks they claimed (if any) were legit.  Most of them were honorary belts given to them by high ranking friends in different disciplines.  They would give each other rank based simply on association and nothing more.  Not belts that were actually earned from studying and practising any given art.  Others were just straight up bold face lies.

11/7/10 7:49 PM
heatmeiser
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of these types floating around. A few right here in Hamilton. Phone Post
11/7/10 8:57 PM
KrazyRussian

Tim, you're full of it. If you were a black belt in bjj you would tell us who gave it it to you, and wouldn't remove it so fast from the site, and you would simply understand WHY we ask this very simple and standard questions - because you would know that black belt is a great achievement in the sport of BJJ; takes years or decades of hard work/training/competing; and in my opinion one of the hardest, if not the hardest, black belts to achieve.

So...true? Yes...you're not BB in BJJ.
Good? Absolutely - I'm sure it'll spill out to your existing and new students, and they will find out that you are a liar about BJJ....what else? they will wonder.
Useful? Again yes...same reason as above.

And if we're wrong simply say whom you got it from; and not going into "car sales pitch" long messages...oh yeh that "works"...maybe on your young students.

Oh yeh, I trained with Fedor many times - I am Pride and UFC level fighter.
11/7/10 9:21 PM
forreal

I wondered how many of the otherr BBs he claims are false...I googled his name with the other martial arts he claims, the only sites that hit were ones where he posted the info.......
11/7/10 10:26 PM
yusul
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/07/10 10:29 PM
11/7/10 10:40 PM
Dougie

brigsy - Wish I had a popcorn munching gif.

11/7/10 10:59 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow.

Since Grandmaster Sifu O-Sensei brought up a comparison with a plumber, I can't resist:

If a guy claiming to be a master plumber showed up at a jobsite and charged for work performed but in trust was merely an apprentice plumber (if that), would he not be guilty of fraud, or at least tortious misrepresentation?

Even if not civilly pursued, would it not be the right and duty of master plumbers to expose this guy as a fraud for the good of the profession?

Can someone register this guy with bullshido and would one of you fine upstanding gentlemen be so kind as to lodge a complaint with the BBB in Vancouver?

Someone's got to call him on this shit, and since he operates in the real world and, by his own admission, has duped a great number of rubes, calling him out on a forum isn;t going to do it.

Cheers!

Joe
11/7/10 11:08 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oops! Meant to say "... but in TRUTH..." can't edit b/c of reformatting.
11/7/10 11:15 PM
kckyote

lol thanx Robin! yes i guess im getting a lil old haha but i still feel 18 0r 16 lol! you know i should just stay on the sidelines but i do miss fighting even though my last boxing match was in 1993 i guess you can say i was a lil rusty lol but i wanted Lee to throw alot so i could take him into round 2 but getting caught wasnt part of the plan..and i dont care what anyone say's i refuse to keep my hands up! lol .

take care!
11/7/10 11:19 PM
kckyote

oh and the blackbelt question for Tim Henry? i do know who gave him his bjj blackbelt...Tim Henry did!
11/7/10 11:21 PM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1armedScissor - 
monkeyroll - 

Whooops :

this is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bsfMoUYYk

Why are comments disabled for this video I wonder?

lol the video is for SEALS combat jiu-jitsu, which turns out to be an acronym and not an association with the ultra-famous fighting force, even though unsuspecting potential clients might think otherwise. Slick.
11/8/10 8:15 AM
brigsy
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Dougie. Phone Post
11/8/10 12:22 PM
tjmitch
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a Black Belt.
11/8/10 12:37 PM
Corky22

scribed!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.