UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Recording Classical Guitar

11/5/10 11:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Kangaroo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Need some advice on recording classical guitar. I want to record some of the stuff im playing, nothing professional level, just a passable recording to document shit im writing. I bought a webcam and the audio is shit on it regardless of where I place it. (Audio is thin and nasally) My laptops internal webcam recorded audio at better quality.

Anywho, my thought was to buy a mic to plug into the PC and then use the webcam for video and use the mic out to improve the audio quality.

Is there a specific type of mic I should look for? Can I get a basic mic that can run directly into the computer with the little mini pc connecter instead of the standard mic input?

Any help is appreciated.
11/5/10 6:17 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are mics with a 1/8" miniplug connection but most are shit on par with the one in your telephone & are meant for voice. There's probably something out there a little better but I don't know what it is. I'm just chiming in to say at a pro level (which I realize is not what you're asking), you want a mic that picks up some room tone & doesn't need to be super close. I like the EV RE20 for drop & go acoustic recording. A lot of recording engineers prefer high-end ribbon/tube/condensor mics to up the definition, and many swear by using a stereo pair aimed at the soundhole & the fretboard, but you can get a great recording just off the one RE20 on a budget.
3/4/11 5:05 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I record with a MXL/Marshall USB.006 Cardioid Condenser USB Mic. It plugs right into the USP on my laptop and seriously has studio quality. Best $80 I have spent in years. If anybody in the future reads this thread I highly recommend this Mic for easy recording.
3/8/11 10:13 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/08/11 10:15 PM
Internal mic or piezo saddle pickup for high end and sm57 off axis close for big bottom.

Record the two channels, roll off the treble from the sm57 and play with the mix live as you listen to playback.

Of course, some internal mics pick up amazing bottom and do a good job of discarding fret buzz and noise.

Just make sure you use more than one mic/pickup to record....more choices are better no choice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.