UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Having a "qualified" selected jury

11/5/10 5:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hef's fluffer
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For a school paper:

Would it be better to have a more "professional" jury group rather than randomly selected citizens? Considering the seriousness of some cases such as murder and rape, wouldn't we want to make sure that the jury's decision is as accurate as possible?

i.e. Philosophy professors, Medical professionals, etc.

That we wouldn't have lawyers using "theatrics" to play with their minds?

Thanks, love to just get some thoughts, opinions, and a supported stance to take
11/6/10 12:37 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is already a professional overseeing the process. The point of the jury is to minimize professional corruption.

Check & balance.
11/7/10 6:01 PM
Shaz

Philosophy professors?  Yuck. 

Having tried over 40 jury trials, and picked about 20 more that settled before trial, I don't think that "professional" juries would necessarily be any better than the current system.  The average person is usually pretty good at knowing when they're being bullshitted. 

That said,  I generally prefer smarter jurors on my trials because, since I'm always on the right side, I don't want someone who can be fooled by slick defense tactics :)

-Shaz!
11/9/10 7:59 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who were allowed to be jurors when the Bill of Rights was ratified?
2/25/11 4:10 PM
Cookie Monster
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The average jurors are supposed to a baramometer of what our society would represent. Parties and the governement are to be judged by and held accountable to the citizenry and a panel of everyday citizens the single best mechanism to effectuate that notion.
3/1/11 10:23 AM
Fake Pie

One of the most offensive notions I can think of to our system of justice honestly. Goes against everything it stands for.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.