UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Masters Degree Worth My Time?

11/7/10 8:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
subjitsu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thought I would see what the IT forum thinks about this, maybe there are some IT managers on here who would have some good input?

I have a BS degree in Business Administration with 13 years experience in telecommunications. All technical roles, everything from data to voice. I've been in senior technical roles for the last 7 or 8 years.

Would working on a MS in Telecommunications, part-time, be a worthwhile improvement to my resume or is my non-technical degree enough? I'm thinking about work life balance and whether it's really worth my time and effort.
11/7/10 8:36 PM
theseanster
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would not pursue an advanced degree unless I saw payout, but that's just me. You should research what it would be worth by contacting some recruiters for jobs you are interested in going after with your degree once you get it.  I seriously doubt it will help you with a technical job, and if you are interested in management I would think an MBA would be better...but do your homework before you invest your time and money!

11/8/10 6:58 PM
subjitsu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like a lot of work for only a marginal return.
11/9/10 9:58 AM
subjitsu

Anarkis2 - If your going to do it you should go to a reputable school, otherwise it is a waste of your time.

University of Colorado
11/9/10 9:25 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are some companies that like graduate degrees, usually they are very specialized techie firms, like research oriented defense contractors, scientific software, etc.

Outside of those I don't think a technical MS does anything if you have a tech BS. In your case it might make you look more technical. Another comment, for a guy with a tech BS, there is occasionally value in a MBA, but again it depends on the company.

My current company could care less about grad degrees.
11/11/10 8:32 PM
subjitsu

All good feedback.
11/12/10 2:58 PM
OneScoup

Also it depends on the timing and funding. If your parents or company is paying for it and you enjoy spending the time in night school, why not.

If you're employed and thinking about quitting for 1-2 yrs to get an MS and pay yourself, then hell no.
11/13/10 11:48 AM
subjitsu

OneScoup - Also it depends on the timing and funding. If your parents or company is paying for it and you enjoy spending the time in night school, why not.

If you're employed and thinking about quitting for 1-2 yrs to get an MS and pay yourself, then hell no.

I totally agree. My company would be paying for it.
11/14/10 8:05 PM
subjitsu

I decided not to go this route. Right now I'm studying for ITIL, then I'll go from there.
11/15/10 8:33 PM
OneScoup

I think you chose correctly. And make sure you enjoy the free evenings you've saved over the next 3-4 years.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.