UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Good Gi for both Judo and BJJ?

11/7/10 10:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aaronlapoi
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is a good gi that works well for both Judo and BJJ. I will be wearing it to Judo class so I don't want it to have a jiu-jitsu emblem on it. At the same time, I don't want it to be so thick that my partners can't chocke me out with it or grab a hold of my sleeves during newaza. I also want it to be legal for BJJ tournaments. Thanks.
11/7/10 9:01 PM
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HCK single or double is a good choice, imo. They're cut a little more traditionally these days then they used to be so you shouldn't have a problem for judo tournaments. No patches or ridiculous script, either.

I had a competition double back in the day and loved it, though my current favorite is the unbleached standard single that you can get for $50-60 most places and I really don't see myself buying anything else again unless the green gi chick solves her manufacturing problems. lol

http://www.jiujitsuprogear.com/HCK-Unbleached-p/hck-unblchd.htm

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=20575

^The budovideos link gives you an idea of the cut/fit.

11/8/10 8:42 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best gi for both BJJ and judo that I have owned is the Mike Swain Deluxe single weave. www.maols.com. Around $75. The best way to describe it is it is about a 1 1/2 weave. The singles are too loose for judo and the doubles to thick for BJJ. I donated my old white/blue Deluxe single weaves to the juniors (who wear them and love them) when I stopped competing in BJJ and now just wear my (Mizuno/Fugitaka double weaves. (I still own judo star gi from my white belt days that I wear in 90 deg weather).
11/8/10 9:15 AM
leothelion

The Fuji Bjj Gi works well too....inexpensive...and you have the choice to patch it up or not...
11/9/10 11:06 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

leothelion -  The Fuji Bjj Gi works well too....inexpensive...and you have the choice to patch it up or not...

11/11/10 3:42 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wwww.e-bogu.com has some awesome, and i mean awesome, single weave gi's... they have 3 levels of single-weave gi's, their nicest has a mixed fleece and mesh lining that keeps it easy to dry and air out...

i use to drive by their shop all the time when i taught in Torrance, CA... stopped by a few times and checked out their stuff... the only reason i don't buy from them is they do not have much in terms of blue judogi's... but, honestly, their gi's are flippin niiiiiiiiiiiiice.
1/19/11 2:14 PM
CyborgRoyce
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/20/11 12:48 PM
Spartan79

What are the main difference between judo and sambo? Can somone informe me please. Is it just rules are differnt really? Phone Post
1/20/11 11:01 PM
Empire
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i did randori at Jason Morris' place w/ an atama gold weave. mind you i like my GIs bigger to begin with (i buy a size up and shrink/bake it in hot water and hot heat).

they had no problem gripping me. they thought the atama marking/kanji on shoulders was an odd one.
1/20/11 11:03 PM
Empire
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

although he did say, "Might want to get a judo gi at some point, if you want to do judo". i think he meant it more on the view point if i decided to compete.
1/27/11 1:48 PM
beowulfgsd

Mizuno Euro Comp are great. I liked the older ones because the pants were a little thicker as well as the collar.
1/27/11 3:53 PM
faixa rua

beowulf beat me to it, Eurocomp is your fren
1/27/11 4:39 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Datsusaras are looking pretty judo friendly.

http://www.dsmma.com/HCG.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKB9ttjCyI
2/3/11 12:56 AM
KingBodhi
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Toraki has a great cut that works well for both sports.

I also like the Fusdida gis from Canada, very versatile.

Dax Moskito is pretty good too.
2/8/11 9:47 PM
Mr Mike from NC
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure about this "hard to choke due to thick lapel" type of belief. I wear my Dax Moskito gis, with are stiff, thick and, have thick to both Judo and, BJJ class and, have been choked/strangled by both instructors and, students. I also have a Howard BJJ gi and, have been choked/strangled in that. A fellow at the local MMA store told me that about Howard gi's as well.
2/8/11 11:35 PM
John Turner

another vote for Toraki

www.toraki.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.