UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> how do i find out if a judo guy is for real?

11/9/10 12:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Elastic Assassin
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i am curious abouta guy that came to class (bjj) last night....

he claims to be a BB in judo...

i have no real reason to doubt him i just got a weird vibe form him and thought i would take a look....

how do you look this sort of thing up?
11/9/10 1:18 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

usja, usjf
11/9/10 1:22 PM
The Elastic Assassin
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no go the usja has no search function that i can see...
11/9/10 1:26 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

no there is no search function....

is it really that important? is he going to teach there? ask him what his rank is and what card he has (USJF, etc)

he should give an answer like shodan, nidan, etc...

you'll be able to sniff the BS if there is any.
11/9/10 1:34 PM
The Elastic Assassin

Rock n Raleigh Suicide - no there is no search function....

is it really that important? is he going to teach there? ask him what his rank is and what card he has (USJF, etc)

he should give an answer like shodan, nidan, etc...

you'll be able to sniff the BS if there is any.

it not MY gym....he is just a guy that is going to teach judo there.....he just said some thigns that made my BS detector move a bit.....i'm not saying he's lying but all o can find on teh net are bios that he wrote

he claims to be an AAU nationa champion and a 2nd degree usja black belt
11/9/10 1:56 PM
The Elastic Assassin

it seems the aau championships did not start until 2006 correct?

because i can't find him listed in any of the results...
11/9/10 2:02 PM
The Elastic Assassin

i can't find this guy anywhere....
11/9/10 3:42 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is his name. If is an aau champion he should be listed somewhere
11/9/10 3:49 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

or search his name with judo in the search, even my name shows up in some tournament results, lol
11/9/10 4:00 PM
The Elastic Assassin

gbutts - What is his name. If is an aau champion he should be listed somewhere

i don't wnt to list his name in case i am wrong and look like a jackass...

but i looked at teh aau results from 2006 on and there is nothing with his name in it...
11/9/10 4:33 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/09/10 4:36 PM
I understand. Contact usja and ask if this guy is a blackbelt. Let usja you want to know because he teaching.
11/9/10 4:37 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

search for 'his name' + 'judo' see what comes up
11/9/10 7:06 PM
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All of us know our rank (Shodan,Nidan, Sandan, etc) and tournament accomplishments. National level player? Masters player? Major tournament wins (top 3)? Major wins against ranked/tuff opponents? Email me at judoblackbelt@wowway.com and I will help with your search. I won't respond on this forum with his name. If I was going to teach I would have a list of my credentials/competition record with major wins,etc.
11/9/10 9:30 PM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know how usja does it, but my usjf card has my rank on it. Usjf also has certificates for sankyu and above.

11/9/10 9:56 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

it's not quincy rice is it?
11/9/10 11:01 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

proof is in his skills.
11/9/10 11:53 PM
leothelion

The legit Judo community is very very close knit at the top ( and I might add BJJ as well).. all the top instuctors know each other...they are not always friendly with each other but they know each other...Judoblackbelt on our forum will out this guy or not...
11/10/10 9:50 AM
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To Ken and Leothelion. My (2010-2011) USJF card has everything except my rank(Nidan). And we are close knit at the top because what we do is not about money ( because there isn't any) but the teaching of judo. I have my 2 certificates of promotion to Shodan in 2001 and Nidan in 2005. We do have our differences especially on promotions. Being honest about your tournament accompishments/skills becomes very apparent once you get out there and we see you in action. All the top level players should have a long list of accomplishments. I will help if I can.
11/10/10 9:58 AM
The Elastic Assassin

judoblackbelt you have mail...
11/10/10 10:00 AM
The Elastic Assassin

Bull_in_chinashop -  proof is in his skills.

i am on baord with this....

hell i teach grapping and bjj with no official bjj rank....

but i DO NOT CLAIM any rank or liniage.....i am up front about this....

but i am not being paid either....and if this guy is going to get paid and i'm not then he had better be who he says he is...
11/10/10 11:03 AM
judoblackbelt

TEA- I responed to your email with what I found so far. The guy appears legit. There is a difference for example if I say I took 1st place in the 2006 Great Lakes Open Championships (which I did and my last competition) but fail to mention it was age 40+ in the light division and there were only 3 contestants and I finished the day 2-0. So I need to make my training relevant in what I have done since to qualify me to teach judo today.
11/10/10 11:08 AM
The Elastic Assassin

i appreciate your help bro...i am glad he's legit...ona scale from one to ten my wrestling is abotu a 4.....i think some judo woudl do me some good for counter wrestling and clinch work (takedowns/trips from the clinch)..........
11/10/10 3:32 PM
leothelion

There you go....the Judo family is small....I knew JudoBB would be able to find out about this guy.....

One way to tell if someone is legit...grip fight with them....grip fighting with a legit Judoka is like being mauled by a silverback gorilla...

11/10/10 3:49 PM
The Elastic Assassin

oh he got me in a scarf hold teh other night...right then and there i knew he had skills....
11/11/10 3:39 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

even mentioning winning the AUU nationals, excuse my honesty here, is like saying you were the best guy at a tournament where nobody in the entire USA who stands any chance of winning even 1 match at the real US Nationals would go to.

in other words.... i wouldnt let a guy who uses that as his qualifications teach my kid to sneeze. I'd rather somebody be honest and say, "i havent done much in terms of competition that is impressive, but i know decent Judo and can help you guys learn throws and gripping safely."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.