UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> how do i find out if a judo guy is for real?

11/11/10 6:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To:leothelion- Thanks for your confidence in my "abilities". You mentioned grip fighting. The guys in (our) class who are strong grip fighters are the strongest physically. They are not the best throwing skills but good judo skills in general. MY philosophy is get your grip and try to throw. The best modern day grip fighter I have seen is Ole Bishof of Germany, 2008 81K Olympic champion. Can you imagine the best grip fighter in the world going against Kosei Inoue? I won't matter one bit you are going to get ipponed.
11/11/10 2:05 PM
jayflo145
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.judoinside.com/uk/
11/11/10 7:35 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of info on current European players and top tournaments. This was more of a local inquiry and at a much lower skill level. Did not know about this website though.
11/17/10 3:52 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JBB... sometimes i am amazed at what you say... Inoue LOST to people in part becuase he was getting out gripped.

11/17/10 7:17 AM
judoblackbelt

From his 3 part DVD set he explains his losses (back injury, torn shoulder muscle, not focused) and he doesn't mention being out gripped. He goes into detail on how he beat Shinohara/Gill using gripping and moving strategy's, He rarely lost and won by ippon so what you are refering to I don't know and do not see it in his matches.
11/17/10 11:59 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you actually watch those matches you do not see "back injury, torn shoulder muscle, not focused..." you see a guy getting beat. period.

if you are going to step onto the tatami to compete at any level than nobody cares about what excuses people have. i dont care if those "reasons" were why others were allowed to maintain their grips or not. nobody cares about what his "reasons" (or yours, or mine) are for the losses... you dont get to dispariage the people who walked off the mat in victory, or defeat. that's just not right.

everybody gets out-gripped at times. period.
11/20/10 6:53 PM
nowaydo
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"..."i havent done much in terms of competition that is impressive, but i know decent Judo and can help you guys learn throws and gripping safely."

This.
12/23/10 3:58 PM
Your Arsonist
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - even mentioning winning the AUU nationals, excuse my honesty here, is like saying you were the best guy at a tournament where nobody in the entire USA who stands any chance of winning even 1 match at the real US Nationals would go to.

in other words.... i wouldnt let a guy who uses that as his qualifications teach my kid to sneeze. I'd rather somebody be honest and say, "i havent done much in terms of competition that is impressive, but i know decent Judo and can help you guys learn throws and gripping safely."

My sensei was 2003 AAU champion, was not able to pursue extensive high level competition for personal and financial reasons, but has won a bunch of state titles as well as other comps, has trained all over the country including OLY training center, Head Coach at several university clubs,and is an absolute monster player. His biggest accomplishment on PAPER is AAU champion. Your statement is flawed and ridiculous.
12/23/10 5:16 PM
JoshuaResnick

My sensei was 2003 AAU champion, was not able to pursue extensive high level competition for personal and financial reasons, but has won a bunch of state titles as well as other comps, has trained all over the country including OLY training center, Head Coach at several university clubs,and is an absolute monster player. His biggest accomplishment on PAPER is AAU champion. Your statement is flawed and ridiculous.

No, my statement is not flawed and ridiculous. it is dead-on. ANYBODY, and i mean, ANYBODY, could travel all across the USA and train anywhere s/he wants to. get in your car, drive, show up with your gi and give it a go. So what if s/he trained at the the OTC, they take anybody who is willing to show up. i cant tell you how many times i was at the OTC and would ask "who is that guy" and the answer was "idunno, he just showed up and it training hard."

Won a bunch of state titles? okay. I think i won about 14 state just titles before i was 17. winning a state title in judo is easy. i mean, EASY. head coach at what university clubs? you do know that most univeristy clubs in the USA are nothing more than recreational judo clubs, right? they train 2-3 days a week for maybe 2 hours. they aren't real teams like what you are thinking. they certainly are not SJSU, not even anywhere ner remotely close.

personal and financial reasons, huh? hmph... well, join the club. it isnt as if people were lining up to pay my bills or those of anybody else. it isnt as if the people on the current national team are making $100,000 for doing Judo. the truth is simple-- you show up every day, you train your ass off, you move somewhere that will allow you to give up everything else in your life to focus just on judo and then you go fight the best guys you can.

anybody who does that is certainly not somebody who cares about winning a state title or winning the 2003 AAU Nationals in Judo. when i was competing i wouldnt even want to know if the guy i was playing won the AAU anythings.... it wouldve ruined my mentality because it is an event i do not respect... it literally wouldve made me think "phew. well, ive got an easy first round."

you may think i am being a jerk. but i am not. i am being absolutely honest without any hiding of reality. ive been there and ive given everything i had up to see what i could do.

i am not saying your "sensei" might not know some good judo... im saying that if he is saying that winning the AAU's means something, well... he is wrong. period. the AAU nationals isnt even on par with a half-way decent level-E event that gives one stupid point on the national roster. that's the truth.

i am happy he competed. i am glad he gave himself the opportunities to train and travel some and that he is teaching judo. i am happy that you think he "is an absolute monster player." but, ummmmmmmm... really, are you qualified to make that statement?

im not even an "absolute monster" in my book, and i damn well know i did a lot more than win the 2003 AAU's.
12/25/10 8:13 AM
leothelion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The most impressive Judoka are those that "brag" about their accomplishments and can actually back it up... "Judo" Gene Lebell comes to mind ...I was told by one of his prominent students ( one of my Judo coaches) that Lebell scared the living bejesus out of the Japanese when he visited the Kodokan in the 50's...he went down the black belt line and just demolished guys....
12/28/10 1:47 PM
JoshuaResnick

These stories are all over the place. This guy and that guy went to Japan and beat the hell out of all of them!

Wanna know the truth to all of those? They are garbage. Period. Even Yamashita got his ass handed to him in training. Going to the Kodokan and demolishing everybody? That was never the biggest feat in Judo. The Kodokan is not a place for hard training unless there is some special training going on.

Now, I don't know what it was like in the 1950's, but then again very few people in the world do right now. And, how reliable those tales are is up to interpretation, for certain.

What we know is that Lebell was/is a very, very good Judoka and at his peak was most likely one of the best in the world. But, in Japan, even the best in the world get their asses handed to them. One or two or three rounds or even a full day's worth of hard training means nothing in Japan. They do that 350 days a year and always have.

I am sure on a given day Judo Gene was as good as anybody. But the stories always need to be considered in reality too.
12/28/10 9:03 PM
leothelion

Oh Joshua,....Now you made Judo Gene mad...now he will have to come over to your house and choke you until you poo in your pants...ask Steven Seagal, he will tell you... :-D...
1/1/11 12:31 AM
judom
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its always funny to read all the stories about people destroying the top japanese judokas.

I've read also BJJ ninjas claiming some BJJ guy, Rickson or someone also destroyed all the top Japanese judokas in seconds...all these people collectively suffer from the ninja syndrome and can't differentiate practice from competition.

I have another story btw, that is far less impressive, but still interesting and real, by an olympic bronze medalist from 2004 (I will let you guess who that medalist is).

He said, when he went to Japan to train, a while ago, he was looking to find someone his weight class or higher, but everyone was already randor'ing...except 1 guy warming up on the side lines that looked quite small...so he figured: lets use the small guy as a warm-up, crush him a little bit, throw him around for ippon, and move on to the partners his size or bigger..so he proceeded to invite the small judoka to come and randori with him...what a shock it was, when that small judoka started throwing him around like a baby...time and time again...ippon after ippon...he said: i've never seen so much air time in a randori...

turned out later that small judoka was Tadahiro Nomura...:)

1/4/11 3:49 AM
JoshuaResnick

...and that is why he is a 3x Olympic Gold Medal Winner....
1/4/11 9:38 AM
Outkaster
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - 

No, my statement is not flawed and ridiculous. it is dead-on. ANYBODY, and i mean, ANYBODY, could travel all across the USA and train anywhere s/he wants to. get in your car, drive, show up with your gi and give it a go. So what if s/he trained at the the OTC, they take anybody who is willing to show up. i cant tell you how many times i was at the OTC and would ask "who is that guy" and the answer was "idunno, he just showed up and it training hard."

Won a bunch of state titles? okay. I think i won about 14 state just titles before i was 17. winning a state title in judo is easy. i mean, EASY. head coach at what university clubs? you do know that most univeristy clubs in the USA are nothing more than recreational judo clubs, right? they train 2-3 days a week for maybe 2 hours. they aren't real teams like what you are thinking. they certainly are not SJSU, not even anywhere ner remotely close.

personal and financial reasons, huh? hmph... well, join the club. it isnt as if people were lining up to pay my bills or those of anybody else. it isnt as if the people on the current national team are making $100,000 for doing Judo. the truth is simple-- you show up every day, you train your ass off, you move somewhere that will allow you to give up everything else in your life to focus just on judo and then you go fight the best guys you can.

anybody who does that is certainly not somebody who cares about winning a state title or winning the 2003 AAU Nationals in Judo. when i was competing i wouldnt even want to know if the guy i was playing won the AAU anythings.... it wouldve ruined my mentality because it is an event i do not respect... it literally wouldve made me think "phew. well, ive got an easy first round."

you may think i am being a jerk. but i am not. i am being absolutely honest without any hiding of reality. ive been there and ive given everything i had up to see what i could do.

i am not saying your "sensei" might not know some good judo... im saying that if he is saying that winning the AAU's means something, well... he is wrong. period. the AAU nationals isnt even on par with a half-way decent level-E event that gives one stupid point on the national roster. that's the truth.

i am happy he competed. i am glad he gave himself the opportunities to train and travel some and that he is teaching judo. i am happy that you think he "is an absolute monster player." but, ummmmmmmm... really, are you qualified to make that statement?

im not even an "absolute monster" in my book, and i damn well know i did a lot more than win the 2003 AAU's.
Nice post!
1/4/11 10:42 AM
The Elastic Assassin
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol to get back to teh origonal post...i told him i checked up on him...he wasn;t upset that i did he was a bit peeved that i had to ask for help.....he seemed to think his info was more "out there" than it was......
1/5/11 12:23 PM
leothelion

JoshuaResnick - ...and that is why he is a 3x Olympic Gold Medal Winner....

And.... There are no secrets to why champions win....it just takes hard slugging work....hours and hours on the mat...drilling...drilling...drilling....fall after fall....

If you want to win...be the first on the mat....and the last off....

why am I not a better Judoka/ BJJ player they I am? ....because I have not put the time in...not because I have not found the lastest video teaching some weird rubber..spider...whatever guard...

Too many "johnny come lately" grapplers I have encountered, those infliuenced by the latest marketing fad....forget this....

Thanks again Joshua for bringing us back to base....
1/5/11 10:13 PM
black koala

try to throw him

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.