UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> I think I dun goofed. Help please.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/9/10 12:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

O.k., I'm not sure if I played this correctly, but I think I did, despite losing the hand. If I'm incorrect, please let me know because the hand represents a fundamental leak in my game if it's wrong.

I was playing in a $77 buy in, $15,000 guarantee tourney on PS yesterday and there were 200+ entrants and we were down to 47 (43 was the bubble).

Anyway, the big stack has been abusing the table because he has the chips for it and we're close to the bubble. He's on the button and I'm in the SB with 13BBs. The big stack has 26BBs.

He has raised from the button for the last 5 orbits and I folded each time because I didnt have a hand I could go to war with. So this time I wake up to 77. It folds to the button, he makes his standard raise of 2.5X the BB, and I shoved. Standard?

He showed KQ and the board was perfect until the river, when the K hit and I was eliminated in 47th place, just 4 shy of the money.

My thinking is that I'm playing to win and not just cash, and I think shoving with 13BBs in that spot is the right play, but I'm not sure.

And yes, I would still be asking if he hadnt hit the K or Q.

Thanks!
11/9/10 2:07 PM
JHR
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To me it's a no brainer.

At 13bb you're going to have to win a flip regardless, so any hand you choose to play you don't have enough chips to scare him off anyways, so chances are he's calling with anything.

You got your money in good. what's not to like about that.

Unfortunately, he not only had the chips to call with anything, he actually wakes up with a hand that isn't that much of a dog even if your holding a better starting pair. Even if you have queens he's still got a live card.

Don't think you could have done anything different. That's poker.

11/9/10 5:26 PM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much is the lowest prize? Because it makes a difference if the prize is $80, or if it's two buy-ins like $140.
11/9/10 5:50 PM
andre
582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, JHR. My only concern was the bubble. I was wondering if it was the right play at the time, or if I should let the 4 drop out before engaging in a coin flip.

PR, the lowest prize was $100, so a profit of about $23. Not much, but since it was so close I'm not sure if it's worth taking a coin flip. I think it was, though.
11/9/10 6:13 PM
wreckker
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its a shove spot u made right play..
 Fact is he is raising every button AND you have fold equity with 13BB;s

So you canb win uncontested becasue good chance he has air or you play a big pot chance to now have 28bb stack.

Right move andre

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.