UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> my opinion on guard pulling in mma

11/11/10 8:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EddieBravo
529 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/10 8:37 AM
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, www.thetwister.tv

11/13/10 7:50 PM
shlever
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/13/10 8:29 PM
I really wanted Damian Maia to jump guard when he fought Silva (just eat the slam). Obviously if a guy has an air tight guard then pulling guard is a viable option and probably under utilized. But honestly at the upper ranks of pro level the bulk of strikers and wrestlers at the top tiers of mma don't have their jiu jitsu developed enough to pull it off. Guys coming out of the adcc or top tier bjj (gi and nogi both) have that option but most fighters don't have the 7-10 years it takes to develop that type of game. Now if they were raised in brazil and started training at 12 yrs old then by the time they are game to fight pro in ufc or whatever then yeah, pulling guard is a great option. For most guys, who havent trained for at least 5-7 years minimum in SOLEY bjj without concentrating on or any distraction from mma, they will get smashed by GNP more than not. Phone Post        
11/13/10 8:25 PM
shlever
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/13/10 9:26 PM
 Another relevent point is when you see guys who refuse to engage certain people on the ground (silva maia). Forcing a guy on his back to get up or refusing to engage someone who lays on his back is a sure fire sign that pulling guard is probably a smart move for the guy on the ground. 
11/21/10 4:35 PM
Talengard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/21/10 4:36 PM
I watched this a day or two before Javier Vasquez fought Chad Mendes, and I thought that his jiu jitsu would enable him to secure a submission at some point. Although Javier had a very active guard and looked great in the fight, do you think that pulling guard the way he did is still a viable answer to the elite wrestler, or does power just win sometimes?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.