UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> facing stronger Judoka

11/11/10 8:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
quijote
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am pretty strong, but I am usually not as strong as my opponent leaving it difficult to get in close or even breaking his grip.
Anyone have a good tip or favorite throw for the situation?
11/11/10 8:12 PM
quijote

I am pretty strong, but I am usually not as strong as my opponent leaving it difficult to get in close or even breaking his grip.
11/12/10 4:37 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

HughSlaman - Step 1: Switch to BJJ.

Step 2: In your Judo class, as you are having trouble breaking the guy's grip, pull guard and submit him.

Step 3: When the instructor tells you this is against the rules, tell him, in a thick Brazilian accent "In Zhoo Zhitsooo, we do not have so many rules, my fren."

Step 4: Get out of there before they kick your ass.

Step 5: Get on the internet and tell everyone how you stormed a Judo dojo using BJJ.

+1
11/12/10 8:08 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

sacrafice throws... one step up from pulling guard.
11/13/10 2:09 AM
quijote

^^Thanks for all the post.
I keep being told to be looser, but I am having a hard time convincing myself that being looser against someone that is muscling me around is going to be helpful.
I like the combo ideas
11/13/10 11:03 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When someone has a strong grip usually a stiff lapel hand and you can't get in. The way you counter this still lapel hand is with a forward throw like seionage to the side of the his stiff lapel hand. Right stance vs right stance let go of you lapel grip and attempt seionage to your sleeve grip hand side. Right stance vs left stance let go of your sleeve grip hand and attempt seionage to your lapel grip hand side. this is the best counter to what you described and is common. For me I am not good at seionage so I prefer to use tomenage where I step in almost parallel by turning as I sit down sideways to the opponent. I learned this tecknique from a 2001 world champion (and the setup to it).
11/14/10 6:28 AM
Bently

What is your level of Judo? How long have you been training?

Ben
11/15/10 12:51 AM
quijote

I am a green belt, with on and off training for 1 year.
11/15/10 4:55 AM
Bently

quijote -  I am a green belt, with on and off training for 1 year.

Your expectations are too high. Go to judo steadily as many times as possible and you will improve.

Telling you this or that technique in this case is useless.

Ben
11/15/10 6:25 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I may not completely agree that this or that tecknique is uselss. Forward throws/tomenage are well know teckniques for stiff arms. One tecknique I didn't mention that I use when I am being stiff armed by an opposite stance (rt vs lft or lft vs rt) is I take an over the (upper stiff arm) grip on the back and pull the opponent in. This breaks the stiff arm. But you have to be able to throw from this grip. There is also a way of breaking the stiff arm by grabbing the stiff arm hand above and below and double yanking it down and into uke. (grip beaking teckniques). All these need to be developed to see what works for you.
11/15/10 4:02 PM
quijote

Bently - 

Your expectations are too high. Go to judo steadily as many times as possible and you will improve.

Ben
When do think it is more appropriate for a Judoka to ask questions, ponder situations, and inquire about
counters?

11/17/10 3:46 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bently is the only person here who has a brain between his ears on this one..

you are a green belt. you do judo, what? 2x a week for 2 hours for 10 months? for a grand total of 160 hours a year. my HS kids did over 200 hours of judo in just over 2 months.

oddly enough, they dont have a problem with stiff arms-- because they are too busy trying to throw with everything they have, moving and grip fighting...

strength is not the problem any more than a specific throw is a solution..."this guy has a strength factor of 10" is not countered by "sumi-gaeshi" in this world....

11/17/10 12:53 PM
quijote

^Understood.

11/17/10 11:51 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i mean, technique wise... i would love to suggest sode or standing armlocks or drop seio or a russian side-on stance...

but note of those are appropriate for somebody with 160 hours of training whose instruction i am not there to oversee... anything we suggest here could get somebody hurt, that's a serious thing.

the one piece of advice that i do feel good about passing on would be simply that you might need to get to your grip and (balanced) body contact sooner than your opponent does... often by being hyper offensive, such issues fade into nothingness.
11/24/10 8:29 PM
black koala

Rock n Raleigh Suicide - 
HughSlaman - Step 1: Switch to BJJ.

Step 2: In your Judo class, as you are having trouble breaking the guy's grip, pull guard and submit him.

Step 3: When the instructor tells you this is against the rules, tell him, in a thick Brazilian accent "In Zhoo Zhitsooo, we do not have so many rules, my fren."

Step 4: Get out of there before they kick your ass.

Step 5: Get on the internet and tell everyone how you stormed a Judo dojo using BJJ.

+1

maybe pulling guard isn't the best idea...1:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57J54Dkbk5I
11/24/10 11:42 PM
jayflo145
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quijote -  I am pretty strong, but I am usually not as strong as my opponent leaving it difficult to get in close or even breaking his grip.

Do more judo...
11/30/10 11:57 PM
Bently

quijote - 
Bently - 

Ben
When do think it is more appropriate for a Judoka to ask questions, ponder situations, and inquire about
counters?

Whenever such a person likes. He asked an honest question and I gave him an honest answer, based on my experience as a judo teacher.

Ben
12/1/10 1:50 PM
Robin Ashe

quijote -  I am pretty strong, but I am usually not as strong as my opponent leaving it difficult to get in close or even breaking his grip.

Since you say you're pretty strong it sounds like you may be relying on strength more than you should. As a weak person I find it to be self serving to suggest stronger people not use their strength, but in this case if you're middle of the pack you have two options - 1) get stronger or 2) use less of your own strength.

Doing both at the same time is probably best, as both will decrease the impact of your partner's strength.

Also, something that may or may not have any success, is playing with different grips. I've got a few grips that I defaulted to, but switching to some less intuitive grips gave me a lot of success where I didn't have any before.
12/4/10 10:10 PM
michaelk

focus on staying relaxed. if the dude is strong, he will have to relax a bit in order to attack, therefore allowing you to telegraph his movements.

stay moving, stay relaxed, focus on breathing and moving, take what grip is given, always be moving your shoulders up and down (rolling them sometimes if he has a high grip and locking you down).

oh and when i say move, move backwards, don't follow him.

this will take some time to understand, so be patient, but i promise it will work for you.
12/5/10 3:43 AM
JoshuaResnick

i love how people act as if strength is a culprit. like being strong is a bad thing, or using strength is poor judo.

strength is as vital to judo as being able to breathe oxygen. being able to deadlift a ton is a good thing for judo, as is being able to squat a ton, pull a ton, and even press a ton...

being strong, however, does not make somebody a good or bad judoka. it doesnt even make one more or less successful on its own. having ample strength, and being able to apply it in an effective manner, is what makes somebody a good or bad judoka.

sorry, but i am not getting thrown by the weakest guy in the room, no matter what. i might not get thrown by the strongest either. but most people do get thrown by the guy who can apply his strength through solid technique, timing and body positioning.
12/19/10 10:08 PM
TerribleTed

They are certainly correct when they tell you to keep going to class .... it really will get easier with time. I only scrolled through all the responses so if I'm being redundant my apologies but here is what I would recommend:

- if your smaller generate movement; if you stop moving a bigger guy will throw you for sure.

- (someone mentioned it but worth mention again) use combination (along with movement) .... see how you feel setting things up with ashi waza...its a good start point for developing combinations

- the weight lifting comment was a good one (put emphasis on SQTs, DLs, cleans and bent over rows --- then add in supplements ...... follow a power lifting circuit (high weight/low reps/ lots of rest between sets); work your cardio during randori .... build the ability to generate short bursts of extreme power

- and once again.... keep going to class

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.