UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> what have you done this week.....

11/11/10 9:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ashleigh11
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

to be more self sufficient?

self sufficiency doesn't happen overnight. it takes thought and careful planning over months and even years. planning can be as simple as making the decision to be self sufficient, or complicated like a 5 or 10 year plan. here's a chance for you to brag, spark some discussion, and maybe even inspire someone with your ideas.
11/11/10 9:41 PM
ashleigh11
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this week i spent cleaning out the last of the garden except brassicas. i'll be putting up an 10x16 greenhouse after deer season. the last of the canning is done for now, until i can venison. blackberry wine has been racked off twice and i'll be bottling in a few weeks.
11/13/10 3:36 AM
ClayK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

swapped my BOB from summer to winter prep.
11/14/10 12:28 AM
hagarules

tinkering with a food dehydrator that was given to us because of lack of use.
so far i have done: 2 batches of baby carrots and 2 batches of potatoes that i cut into 1/4 inch cubes.

I watched Kvr29's post and watched those videos How to dehydrate food and it gave me a bunch of ideas for future food storage.
11/29/10 9:09 AM
hagarules

How is that wine coming ashleigh?
11/29/10 9:55 AM
sourcheese
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I learned how to separate plasma from blood.
11/29/10 10:00 AM
ClayK

you learned how to or you donated plasma for money?
11/29/10 10:20 AM
sourcheese
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

learned how too.
11/29/10 12:30 PM
MoreThanUFC

Just got more 10 oz bars of silver delivered.

I'm up to 400 lbs of rice and beans. Shelf life exceeds 30 years. Still working on the protein. The idea of eating Spam for the rest of my life after TSHTF doesnt sound appetizing.
11/29/10 4:18 PM
ClayK

Make friends with a Hawaiian. I'm not kidding. I'm buddies with a guy from Hawaii and he's taught me a few new recipes for Spam. Not terrible stuff.
12/4/10 6:41 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

helped myself to 3 ziplock bags full of salt and pepper and honey packets,  and wetnaps from K.F.C. :)
12/6/10 8:05 AM
ashleigh11

Robert Wynne -  helped myself to 3 ziplock bags full of salt and pepper and honey packets,  and wetnaps from K.F.C. :)

fuck yea!!!
12/6/10 3:29 PM
MoreThanUFC

Edited: 12/06/10 3:31 PM
Heineken Man - In what type of container do you store that much rice and beans so it lasts that long?

It is all rotated, stored in airtight plastic drums.  I add Damp Rid to the inside.
The rice itself is de-egged by irradiation, that's the way it's sold.  All grains have mealworm eggs that will eventually hatch otherwise. 

I also bought a bit more silver.  With Bernake basically saying last night that QE3 is a possibility, I dont see why $50 an ounce isnt too far off.
12/15/10 3:06 PM
LeroyJ

Spam Musabi - Look up the recipe.

I'm strangely addicted to the things.
12/16/10 6:28 PM
dentalninja
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought 3 month's worth of minimal-prep food. Already have 1 year's worth of dehydrated food.
1/9/11 3:29 AM
hagarules

Broke out the dehydrator again. gonna do bunch of veggies.
1/28/11 2:49 PM
Bluegrass
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bought another 45w solar kit from Harbor Freight.  They are on sale for $169 .... down from $250.  Purchased 300 lbs of hard winter white wheat and going to seal into mylar and put into 5gal buckets.  Planning my Spring garden and slowly gathering seeds from here and there.  I also just purchased two more 55 gal drums to add to existing rain barrel setup.  And, of course, added 250 more rounds of buckshot to my collection. 

Planning in the near future to purchase dehydrator and play around.  Also, looking into buying a welder.  I don't know too much about the how-tos with it, but I'm a quick learner.  It seems like a good thing to know.
1/28/11 5:56 PM
dentalninja
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looked at 14 acres of land. Mostly sloping terrain with a lot of gulleys. Will continue looking...
3/8/11 11:39 AM
Bluegrass
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 -  did you find land dentalninja?

my big push the past 3 weeks have been knowledge, I've been reading a crapload of books for different things this spring, we are starting the thaw this weekend, it's 45 and rainy all weekend, I hope it continues, I have some potatoes from the tires left over that I was saving for seeds, I'm going to plant them as soon as the snows gone and build a hoop house over them and see how they do

I've been playing around with the idea of using old tires to grow pototoes, as well.  My only concern is the chemical run-off into my potatoes from the tires and the emulsion in the rubber.  What are your thoughts?   
3/8/11 1:52 PM
simthefarmer

i applied for comunal garden, bought some seeds and an incubator to start them inside.

Also had my mom sew me a home-made strawberries topsy-turvy
3/9/11 5:19 AM
hagarules

Edited: 03/09/11 5:27 AM
i bought a bread machine. i wanna tinker with this and see how it works out. i see i can also make different fruit jams with it.

i am gonna buy a pressure canner with the next paycheck as i wanna get into canning too.
3/9/11 8:03 AM
hagarules

well i feel like a jackass for making an impulse buy. i didn't realize how easy it is to make bread and the more videos i watch i realize i don't need a machine to do it.
anyway the bread maker is going back......

Now before i make another mistake is it a good idea to get a pressure canner to can?

somewhere i saw it said just boiling (212') doesn't get hot enough to kill everything but pressure canners get to 240'

UR Thoughts?
3/12/11 9:43 PM
hagarules

FRAT

So the wife got me with a good one and it is related to my posts on buying a bread machine so i thought i would share.
first off the wife is pretty much on-board with the prepping and getting some skills that have been lost in our generation, so i have been going on about we need to get good at baking bread etc. even though neither one of us has a clue.
as posted in above posts i got a bread machine, made a batch and returned it. anyway it was sitting on the table for a day or so waiting to be taken back.
i work nights so the next day i wake up to the house smelling like a sweet ass bakery !!! i think wow wtf. i go into the kitchen to find a loaf of fresh baked bread, it had a light crust, perfect shape and no shit, was softer than the store bought (soft n good). so i'm like wow way to go babe you fuckin' rock blah blah, go into work raving about the bread she baked and how it was perfect etc. in my head i'm like awesome that her first loaf is perfect.
next day i wake up another loaf is baked and it is perfect again. so later in the day i'm talking to a friend and telling him how awesome her bread was as i was looking at her loaf in the kitchen and i quickly think, wait when i got the bread machine and did a batch it was a big ass mess. instanly i search for ANYTHING a flour spot, a measuring cup, nothin.

then i knew B.S......
so i called her out and sure enough.....

frozen bread loaves :(
3/12/11 10:41 PM
Josh Gibson
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still working on my garden. Got my peppers potted. Got my tomato cages today. Need to get a trellace for my blackberries.

Ordered 50 1 gallon mylar bags and 50 300 cc o2 absorbers. They say 1 absorber per bag, but someone told me I should use 3. Any one know?

Also has anyone had experience storing brown rice or quinoa? I understand that they dont normally last as long because of the oils, which is a problem white rice doesnt have. I dont really eat white rice and I trying to go by "stock what you eat, eat what you stock".

Anyway, im looking into buying a pressure canner. Blueberry/blackberry preserves, okra/cucumber pickles, italian style tomato mix to cook with dried white beans and a tomato based chili mix to cook with lentils/pintos are all current canning ideas.

Mostly have just been reading a lot and trying to become an informed individual.
3/29/11 3:17 PM
MoreThanUFC

Edited: 04/03/11 1:38 PM

Each bucket except the one on the left has:
25 lbs of rice <--- edit not 50 lb bags.....
10 lb bag of pinto or yellow beans
1 1lb bag of either peas or corn
1 bag of egg noodles
1 can of iodized salt 
1 jar of spices - 2 garlic, 2 season mix, 1 Italian mix
1 16oz bag of Damp Rid

The bucket on the left has rice, salt, spice, and DR, but will also contain powdered milk when I go grab some from the market this weekend.

Total cost was less than $130 including the buckets.

This now gets me to 14 months total food storage.  I'm shooting for 18.  After that will come more diversification: more dried fruits ( working through 200 lbs of fruit right now in the dehydrator ), more oatmeal, more dehydrated ground beef, more salted beef, etc. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.