UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> what have you done this week.....

4/4/11 11:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
simthefarmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

started some seeds to let them germinate inside this week-end. We are approximately 5-6 weeks before last freeze right now.
4/4/11 1:11 PM
simthefarmer

kvr29 -  I'm still waiting for snow to melt, sim, I found a neat website for some people up in your neck of the woods I believe, they have a earthship they built and rocketstove and are off grid I believe

<a href="http://es-cargo.qc.ca/">es-cargo.qc.ca/</a>

Thanks man! Bookmarked
4/10/11 2:18 AM
hagarules

got some heirloom seeds in peat discs indoors.

- Green Beans
- Cucumbers
- Pumpkin
- Melon
- Watermelon (Black Diamond and Dixie Queen)
- Rhubarb
- Tomato
- Banana Peppers
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Golden Sweet Peas
- Sunflower

i plan on planting onions, carrot, broccoli and cauliflower
after the last frost.
4/13/11 1:39 AM
lmcleod24

I planted a second garden this week and I've been trying to finish a fence around it as time allows.

Put in three hives of bees

Bought a deep well hand pump, hand powered grain mill, and 60wt solar kit.
4/14/11 1:07 AM
lmcleod24

kvr29 -  Imcleod24, is this your first time with bees? difficulty? cost?

No this isn't my first time working with bees, actually when I first started prepping around 6 years ago the first thing I did was get some bees.
I'd been looking for how ancient people lived without electricity and fuel. One of the oldest stories is how John the Baptist lived off wild locusts and honey. Then when I was looking at shelf life for foods, I saw that honey was about the only food that would last indefinitely. 3000 year old honey has been found in the Pharaohs tombs that was still edible. There is a ton of other stuff that the bees make to that can be used like wax and popouls. The thread about cinnamon and honey has a lot of info in it.

Expense and level of difficulty are dependant on how far you want to go in bee keeping. You should be able to get all the equipment you need for 2 hives, bees, smoker, veil and all for under $450. If you take care of this equipment it should last a life time. After that all the expense you should have is buying some sugar and replacing bees if you loss a hive, but if you get to know what you are doing you can get the bees to make a new colony.

There are usually two reasons people want bees for pollination or honey. If you just want them for your garden your expense stops there. For honey you have to buy some more equipment the most expensive thing is the extractor. You can get a nice stainless steel hand powered one for around $300, but they go on up to around $2K. Some beekeeping associations will rent one. When I first got started I got the "economy" model, a plastic one for around $100, the instructions and stickers were all in Chinese. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for, the thing is a piece of shit, maybe I can make it work this year.

If someone wanted to do a side business, they should be able to get their money back in a year or two. A strong hive can produce 60-100 lbs of honey at $4 per pound. And farmers will pay around $35 per hive to go in their fields per crop and some will do 3 crops a year.

It's really simple to get started; I got started by using just books. But you can save a lot of money and hardship if you get an experienced beekeeper to mentor you. For just pollination all you have to do is put the bees in the hive and check the queen every so often to make sure she is laying eggs. There is a little more too it than that, but it's really easy just for a basic set up. When you start getting into splitting hives and grafting queens it gets more complicated. I can split hives but I don't know how to graft queens yet. It's possible for an experienced beekeeper to be entirely self sufficient in creating and raising bees once he has the knowledge and equipment.

I would definitely recommend anyone gardening to get a couple of hives you'll be amazed at how much they will increase your harvest.
4/14/11 8:59 AM
simthefarmer

lmcleod24 i heard there is a big problem here in quebec about the bees massively dying in the past couple of years. Did you come accross that problem?
4/14/11 12:40 PM
lmcleod24

Colony collapse disorder(CCD) is a big problem everywhere, some people lose 40-90% of their hives to it.
I personally have not experienced it. I think all the losses I have had came from me not knowing what I was doing or the bees just dying. Sometimes you will lose a colony no matter what you do.

People blame all kinds of stuff for CCD GMO, pesticide, cell phone towers, biblical plagues, fungus and a lot of other stuff. I personally leaning toward a man made pesticide, and if not that a biblical plague would be second on my list. In the last few weeks there has been a lot of info coming out about a pesticide made by Bayer that has been shown to be killing the bees even with minute amounts.

http://www.beecharmers.org/

I can’t find the article now but I saw something from a reputable news source that said the FDA or EPA was hiding a study about how bad the effects of one of Bayer’s pesticides is on bees. Bayer also pays more than any other company for studies on the “health” of bees, their scientists and grant recipients all say that there is no link between pesticides and CCD.

I think the reason I haven’t been affected is because I’m not near any large fields or industrial areas. Everything my bees collect is from the woods or my gardens. I was thinking about starting to rent my hives out next year to farmers, but now I’m probably not unless I can find an organic farmer somewhere around here.
4/18/11 2:20 AM
Teufel_Hunden
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subbed
4/18/11 8:30 AM
simthefarmer

there is also a documentary that came out in 2010 aoub this in quebec. Can't find if there is an english or subtitled version somewhere though. It's called "La reine malade".
Saw it yesterday, really good.
4/18/11 7:36 PM
Josh Gibson
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ordered my canner. Picked up a good bit of dried goods to be stored in mylar(still need more). 25 LBs rice, 10 LBs pintos, 25 LBs sugar. A case of tuna, case of canned milk, sanitary items, starter first aid kit

Started using my dehydrator. The pineapple rocked. I sliced the banana too thick and it tasted like shit, maybe it wasnt ripe enough?

Blackberries are popping up,still green. The cherry tomatoes are already coming in as well. Ill be sun drying them and canning them in olive oil.

Blueberries got some brown patches on a few leaves. Not sure what it is, may have burned it with the sulfur I layed down, may be over watering it, dog might be pissing on it. Growing blueberries in Texas may have been overzealous. I got a variety that is supposed to do well here but we will see.

Heading to my first Appleseed in 10 days. Gotta get the web slings attached to both my wife and Is liberty training rifles. Was hoping to get a couple tech sites on them but we may be shooting with ruger 10/22 stock sites. Oh well, should be a lot of fun. I know we will both learn a lot.
4/20/11 12:48 AM
LakerGirl

Bought Royal Berkey (I think thats the model, for 4-6 people). Totally bummed out though. Missed a good deal they were having (Free gift, I was going to get 2 travel water bottles with filters). Also all the prices went up.

Ordered new 1095 Steel knife to practice sharpening on.

Collected more MRE extra pouches.

4/20/11 1:39 AM
ClayK

My first plants went in to pots this week. Just a small jalapeno and green pepper plant to get me started. I've got more going in this weekend as well as the vertical pots from the other thread. My current roommate is moving out and a friend of mine is moving in and he's a believer so we'll be planting more and working on other projects.
4/20/11 2:15 AM
lmcleod24

ClayK - My first plants went in to pots this week. Just a small jalapeno and green pepper plant to get me started. I've got more going in this weekend as well as the vertical pots from the other thread. My current roommate is moving out and a friend of mine is moving in and he's a believer so we'll be planting more and working on other projects.

It's great to have someone to help you and brainstorm ideas with. Prepping is often times a lonely endeavor.
4/20/11 6:37 AM
MoreThanUFC

lmcleod24 - 
ClayK - My first plants went in to pots this week. Just a small jalapeno and green pepper plant to get me started. I've got more going in this weekend as well as the vertical pots from the other thread. My current roommate is moving out and a friend of mine is moving in and he's a believer so we'll be planting more and working on other projects.

It's great to have someone to help you and brainstorm ideas with. Prepping is often times a lonely endeavor.
That's why we all come here. :)

4/20/11 12:46 PM
Bluegrass
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Gibson -

Blueberries got some brown patches on a few leaves. Not sure what it is, may have burned it with the sulfur I layed down, may be over watering it, dog might be pissing on it. Growing blueberries in Texas may have been overzealous. I got a variety that is supposed to do well here but we will see.

Josh, you should be ok with blueberries.  Especially with using sulfer to change the PH.  Two things that affect blueberries the most are aphids and fungus.  Look on the underside of the leaves for aphids and along the stems.  Another good way is to hold a piece of white paper under the plant and give the plant a good shake.  See what appears on the paper.  That's a good way to discover spidermites, as well.  Use a simple soap spray to combat those.  Also, I'm not sure how your weather has been down there.  If it is like it's been here in Illinois, lots of moisture and humidity in the air.  Believe it or not, one of the leading causes of blueberry bush decline is over-watering.  Just take a look and make sure the plant has a chance to dry it's feet every now and then.

All the best!
4/23/11 4:15 PM
Ham and Egger
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bluegrass - 
Josh Gibson -

Josh, you should be ok with blueberries.  Especially with using sulfer to change the PH.  Two things that affect blueberries the most are aphids and fungus.  Look on the underside of the leaves for aphids and along the stems.  Another good way is to hold a piece of white paper under the plant and give the plant a good shake.  See what appears on the paper.  That's a good way to discover spidermites, as well.  Use a simple soap spray to combat those.  Also, I'm not sure how your weather has been down there.  If it is like it's been here in Illinois, lots of moisture and humidity in the air.  Believe it or not, one of the leading causes of blueberry bush decline is over-watering.  Just take a look and make sure the plant has a chance to dry it's feet every now and then.

All the best!

Thanks a lot. Did as you said. No bugs. I pruned the rusty leaves and am letting it dry out a bit. Also laid a bed of pine needles around it. Might help keep the beagle away and continue helping the soil.
4/25/11 5:34 AM
hagarules

in the last week i started new vegetable seedlings, built a cold frame, planted a blueberry bush and bought 1/2 a pig that was raised by a coworker that i will put in the FREE deep freezer we got from the neighbors.
5/6/11 8:41 PM
ashleigh11
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this week i planted out cool weather vegetables-peas, spinach, chard, broccoli, cauliflower, kale. it looks like we have no more frosty nights in the forecast so i'm going to gamble this weekend and plant out most of the garden. we are planning on moving soon, so i won't be doing my normal ambitious garden and no csa this year.

i bought the other half of hagarules pig. and i've been playing around with making yogurt and yogurt cheese. aged cheese is next.

i also threw out 24 bottles of wonderful blackberry vinegar that i had bottled a few months ago. i talked the the local wine and beermaker shop owner and he thinks i didn't clean my syphon well enough. i got it from a friend. the shop owner said it needs to be cleaned before and after bottling. if it sits uncleaned after use it can be tough to get clean. oh well, i still have fruit in the freezer so i can start over.
5/7/11 1:25 PM
LakerGirl

Finally go the Berkey and just set it up. Waiting until there is enough filtered water to try it.
5/12/11 2:54 PM
Bluegrass
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/12/11 3:10 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/bgrassboy/IMG_1039.jpg

SGL-31

Finally got her! Gotta protect my garden from the zombies :)
5/20/11 8:59 PM
hagarules

i got the garden in today. i planted: cucumbers (regular/pickling), cantaloupe, japs, 2 kinds of yellow peppers, red peppers, green peppers, celery, potatoes, bush beans, missouri beans, snap peas, golden peas, tomatoes, onions, bulb carrots and rhubarb.

Garden 1 - http://i51.tinypic.com/1zbze5i.jpg
Garden 2 - http://i55.tinypic.com/29n9g14.jpg

and i am also trying a few things in pots with ideas inspired from other threads.

Salad Bowl - http://i53.tinypic.com/303ls1l.jpg
Salsa Pots - http://i53.tinypic.com/spj7g5.jpg

5/21/11 2:48 AM
hagarules

oh and cauliflower, broccoli and spinach.

the Salsa Pots have: 1 yellow pepper, 1 jalapeno, onions, oregano and cilantro. i will just grab the tomato from garden when needed to make salsa.

5/22/11 4:47 PM
hagarules

Since i seem to be a whore on this thread, here are some more containers that i planted.

Tomato in milk jug and a snap pea plant and cucumber (pickling) in a kitty litter jug. testing to see how these work out.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2w529zn.jpg

i converted our broken gas grill into a planting box. i have a pumpkin plant and a watermelon plant. i plan on moving the grill box to the ground when they start to grow over the sides.

on the 2 side boxes i have carrots (fingerling/round bulb)
http://i51.tinypic.com/20s93x3.jpg

** these are all experiments and i am not sure if i did good at plant selection for these containers, but i will find out.**
5/22/11 9:28 PM
MoreThanUFC

I learned and cooked frybread today.  I have the pics up on my FB page, but too tired and lazy to upload them here right now.  The stuff is fucking awesome and easy to make.
6/20/11 10:00 PM
hagarules

UPDATE Photos:

Garden 1: http://i53.tinypic.com/2q2pt12.jpg
Garden 2: http://i56.tinypic.com/szu4i1.jpg

Salsa Bowls: http://i56.tinypic.com/dc3moh.jpg
Container Wagon: http://i55.tinypic.com/2yjvc0o.jpg

Gas Grill: http://i54.tinypic.com/4uxem9.jpg

got some strawberries from ashleigh11 and put them in a raised bed: http://i56.tinypic.com/3x6c6.jpg

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.