UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> what have you done this week.....

7/6/11 10:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been working my garden and orchard and tweaking my irrigation system. Also I'm building another 4x12 planter.
7/7/11 11:06 PM
Ham and Egger
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Building shelves for my food storage room.

Getting my beds ready for fall garden.

Still shopping around for an AK.
7/17/11 2:40 PM
cdmontgo
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hagarules - UPDATE Photos:

Garden 1:

Garden 2:

Salsa Bowls:

Container Wagon:

Gas Grill:

got some strawberries from ashleigh11 and put them in a raised bed:

Nice!

My broccili and beans are ready for harvest,  I have been germinating seeds for spinach and carrots, and I read the square foot gardening book.

I think I'm going to get started on making some railing/window planters so I can grow some basic things year round.
10/8/11 4:24 PM
MoreThanUFC

For me, I reinvested in silver again, got my AR15 just the way I want it, and am looking at cutting down some trees to start a bigger garden.  I'm also thinking of buying some off the shelf LT food.  I am beginning to feel like we are coming to head in this country.  Once Greece defaults, what dominoes start to fall will tell me what I'm going to do with about $5k I have for "emergencies".
10/10/11 1:36 PM
cdmontgo
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm getting started with home brewing. This will make me much more self sufficient.
10/17/11 11:01 PM
alkysmurf
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just racked my first run of peach wine from fresh fruit, im very excitted for it ive got 4 quarts, will open 1 for thanksgiving just to see how its comming allong. im really jealous of the time/money some of you guys seem to be able to put into these activities. anyhow just wanted to say thanks for the sharring of your knowledge and i hope to be able to contribute some of my own as i continue to expand into the "prepper" lifestyle
10/20/11 9:44 PM
hagarules
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haven't done sh*t in last month or so. the garden was pretty shitty this summer and pretty much neglected it for last 3-4 weeks :(

i found that my main problem with my container experiment was not baking the plants in the small chunk of soil. hard to keep them from going through extremes of total dry to well watered for a bit then BONE dry/baked the next evening.

this summer was a: B-
10/20/11 9:50 PM
hagarules
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

now i am more worried about food prices, mainly meat. i would like to take my 1st deer ever this season to put in the freezer.

ashleigh and i were talking to a guy at work about buying 1/2 a cow from him. he was telling us that he had just sold a pig a few days ago for $700 and had pretty much had that in him in grain etc, I asked him how much it would have sold for last year and he said $400!!!
11/20/11 7:40 AM
hagarules

i just got my 1/2 of a pig that ashleigh and i went in on from a girl at work. she sold us our last pig that we split.
my 1/2 was $250.00.

another guy at work was talking about $700/pig, but i don't know how big of a pig it was he sold but for some reason i think it was a pretty big one. anyways i am going to start getting a minimum of 1 dozen eggs/week from him.

if nothing else if SHTF ashleigh and i have developed some good contacts/ties with local farmers that we work with for meat/eggs.
11/20/11 9:17 PM
cdmontgo

Five gallons of Holiday Ale (9% ABV) fermenting:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bywag93EZ44/Tshsx87z9NI/AAAAAAAADG0/n9-ADvG9XEc/s800/20111119180006.jpg
11/20/11 11:00 PM
cdmontgo

I've brewed a couple of times with friends, but this is my first batch on my own (well, with my roommate and this is his first batch).

There is a kickass home brewing store around me:
http://www.brewbrothers.biz/

I'm not sure how they will stack up for those who require shipping, but locally they are awesome. Nice people full of knowledge, and I can't find a better price!

My brewery:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WX9zMvNuymA/TsnJ6giL6aI/AAAAAAAADHs/iij7YrxRjzI/s648/brewery.jpg
11/21/11 2:34 AM
BJ Pencil
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went fishing and landed two nice redfish, 38 and 36 inches, two flounder, and a mess of white trout. Cleaned the fish and chopped the waste up real good with a machete and buried it in my future garden spot. Raked leaves and cleaned out my flower bed and ran that over with the mower a few times. Took some leftover fencing material and made a 3x3 hoop to compost that down. My chickens aren't laying yet, probably because two of them are roosters! About to build a rabbit hutch and get three more bunnies, two does and one buck, for meat. Winter garden is looking great, should be harvesting the greens any day now, a few more weeks for the broccoli, kohlrabi, Brussels sprouts, carrots and beets. Deer season should be kicking off soon. Hope I can bag two or three for the freezer.

That's it in a nutshell.
11/25/11 11:06 PM
hagarules

Edited: 11/25/11 11:06 PM
11/25/11 11:32 PM
hagarules

kvr29 -  how many lbs of meat did you get? 

the girl we got our pig from said our pig had a hanging wgt of 297 lbs
11/27/11 11:10 PM
hagarules

Congrats !!!!
to ashleigh who just harvested a healthy 9# baby boy out of his wifes crotch
11/27/11 11:28 PM
cdmontgo

That's a solid crotch there. Congratulations, ashleigh11!
11/28/11 8:27 AM
ashleigh11
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol hagar. i'm holding him right now.

registry at cabellas and mmawarehouse. he needs his own sparring gear.
11/28/11 8:38 AM
ashleigh11
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

michael garreth. 9#6oz. 21 inches. born at home yesterday morning at 0418. midwife arrived at midnight, water broke at 2, baby at 4.
12/10/11 1:14 PM
MoreThanUFC

Just bought and installed a 7 cu ft freezer. I lost 7 40 lb bags of rice to those little bugs. ( I think I told kvr they were 50s but they were 40s ). I only froze the rice before storing them for a week last time and that clearly wasnt enough. Going for a month this time.
12/12/11 4:48 PM
EasyTapper
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robert Wynne -  helped myself to 3 ziplock bags full of salt and pepper and honey packets,  and wetnaps from K.F.C. :)

So you're the fucker!!!! I've always wondered why these fast food places (KFC especially) keep ketchup, napkins and salt under lock and key like Fort Knox. And all along, it's because of you.

j/k

12/12/11 4:51 PM
EasyTapper
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where as most people here are trying to become self sufficient and get off the grocery store's teat, I'm trying to get off the restaurant's teat. We eat out 90% of the time, and the first step towards self sufficiency is cooking and preparing our own food.

Baby steps, baby steps.
12/13/11 6:56 AM
CR1chard

EasyTapper - Where as most people here are trying to become self sufficient and get off the grocery store's teat, I'm trying to get off the restaurant's teat. We eat out 90% of the time, and the first step towards self sufficiency is cooking and preparing our own food.

Baby steps, baby steps.

Go to foodnetwork.com or allrecipes.com  - search for something you'd like to make. Find an appropriate recipe with the highest rating (with the highest numer of ratings as well). Make sure you read through the comments, as the recipe you're viewing might be perfect except for one flaw, which the users will adjust for (and comment on). Follow the recipe. As you get more comfortable executing the techniques and seeing how certain ingredients jive together, try to make something without a recipe. It will probably suck, but then you'll adjust it, and it won't suck as much. Keep working at it, sooner than later you'll be cringing at paying a restaurant to make something that you can make better at home.

/FRAT

12/14/11 4:47 PM
EasyTapper

Thanks for the advice. Since Saturday, we've eaten at home probably 95% of the time. The only lapse was Sunday when I went to the Raven's game.

I'm determined to start banking all this money I/we've been spending on fast food and eating out. It's a little adjustment.
1/4/12 3:22 PM
EasyTapper

So for the past month, we've been dining in 75% of the time, which is great for us. Before this we used to eat out 90-95% of the time.

I've made my first (small) purchase of silver. Got some kennedy halves off ebay. Paid too much, but you live and learn.

Started my stockpile of food. We easily have 3-4 weeks of food on hand now. Still learning, etc. Baby steps. Right now, a lot of that is frozen stuff. I do want to move away from frozen goods and more into dry/canned goods in the event of long term power outages. Right now, I'm mostly purchasing stuff we'll eat anyways.
1/4/12 4:39 PM
cdmontgo

^ Hit up the bulk foods section in your local grocery store. Anything you see there which you use is a good item to stock your pantry with (rice, beans, lentils, pasta, nuts, dried fruit, etc.).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.