UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> what have you done this week.....

1/5/12 4:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EasyTapper
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cdmontgo - ^ Hit up the bulk foods section in your local grocery store. Anything you see there which you use is a good item to stock your pantry with (rice, beans, lentils, pasta, nuts, dried fruit, etc.).

The majority of the grocery stores here don't have bulk foods. That was a fad that passed in the 80's/90's (here at least).
1/5/12 4:56 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EasyTapper -
cdmontgo - ^ Hit up the bulk foods section in your local grocery store. Anything you see there which you use is a good item to stock your pantry with (rice, beans, lentils, pasta, nuts, dried fruit, etc.).

The majority of the grocery stores here don't have bulk foods. That was a fad that passed in the 80's/90's (here at least).
Then you need to hit up an ethnic market Phone Post
1/5/12 6:26 PM
cdmontgo
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EasyTapper - 

Weird. Every grocery store in my area has a bulk foods section.
1/6/12 11:36 AM
MoreThanUFC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kvr, do you think you need the mylar bags to store rice?
1/6/12 3:17 PM
Bluegrass
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MoreThanUFC - Kvr, do you think you need the mylar bags to store rice?

I can't speak for KVR, but I say YES. The Mylar bags will seal air tight, using oxygen absorbers. This will greatly increase the rice shelf life. White rice has a normal shelf-life of around a year. Sealed air tight, 30 years.
1/7/12 9:22 PM
BJ Pencil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I finished up my chicken coop a couple of weeks ago, and figured it was big enough to put more chickens than just my 4 silkie chicks. Got with a friend who gave us two laying hens (1 leghorn and 1 buff o). They terrorized my silkies, so I butchered the leghorn and separated the buff. The same guy is thinning out his flock so he gave me two araucanas. They suprized me and started laying the same day I got them! Gotta love those green eggs! Now, I have to extend my chicken run, and I'm thinking about adding an additional coop built from some leftover pallets I have. It's going to be another busy week, but with the weather in the seventies, its gonna be alright!
1/10/12 3:12 AM
Ham and Egger
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just moved to a house on 1.5 acres. We still have our house in the city and are going to rent it out for a while. We didnt have money for much food the last two months so we used a good bit of supps that we had. Gos to show though, it doesnt take a disaster to realize its a good idea to be prepared.

Going to a big fruit tree sale this month, they have a class along with it. Since I have more land now planning a small orchard, building a chicken coop, reading all I can about bee keeping and of course planning the spring veg.

Also gotta restock quite a bit of stuff. Gotta get the pressure canner working this month!
1/11/12 6:05 PM
MoreThanUFC

My mylar and O2 absorbers are due tomorrow. Gonna spend all day repacking rice, beans, etc.

Do you think that if the bugs have hatched and died in my rice, that rice might still be good? I could care less about a few bug carcasses. I cant say I'm Bear Grylls, I wont drink my own piss, but I am down with Les as far as eating creepy crawlies. Doesnt bother me in the least.
1/12/12 8:22 AM
EasyTapper
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MoreThanUFC - My mylar and O2 absorbers are due tomorrow. Gonna spend all day repacking rice, beans, etc.

Do you think that if the bugs have hatched and died in my rice, that rice might still be good? I could care less about a few bug carcasses. I cant say I'm Bear Grylls, I wont drink my own piss, but I am down with Les as far as eating creepy crawlies. Doesnt bother me in the least.
I wouldn't think it's a problem. Just some xtra protein. Phone Post
1/14/12 11:44 PM
MoreThanUFC

Yup. The rice went in 12/15/11 and is still sitting there. The mylar bags havent showed yet.
2/2/12 10:24 PM
cdmontgo
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cracked open my second batch of beer today. It's an American IPA, and it is freakin' delicious!

Hops:
1 oz Horizon
1 oz Centennial
1 oz Glacier
0.48 oz Northern Brewer
1. oz Cascade

It was suppose to be about 7% ABV, but I screwed up and used too much grain and ended up closer to 9%. Darn.
11/9/12 2:21 AM
hagarules

ttt
5/5/13 2:42 PM
hagarules

Yesterday I moved 3 yards of topsoil and 2 yards of woodchips for wife and her landscaping shit.

Today I threw 5 lbs of grass seed on lawn in spots that needed it.

Now I am starting to put in vegetable garden.

gonna risk that I am safe from another frost. I'm in Michigan.
6/29/13 4:50 PM
hagarules

Went to U-pick strawberries and just got done cleaning, cutting and vacuum sealing a flat.

$24/flat isn't bad price is it?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.