UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Thoughts on punch choke?

11/12/10 1:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pitbullxyz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure this is the correct term, but what are your thoughts on the choke from top of closed guard, in which you drive your opponents collar into his throat to uncross the ankles? Do you find it to be ineffective guard opener when you pop to your feet and drive down? Also what is a good way to prevent the armbar? Thanks.
11/12/10 3:06 PM
Bolo

I don't see anything wrong with trying to open the closed guard with such a technique. I personally don't do it because I want my game to work gi or no gi and I don't think there is an equivalent to that for no gi besides grabbing a guy's throat Road House style. :)

When you do things like that there is always a risk. Just as Bita and Joe Moreira's method of uncrossing ankles has a risk. The more knowledgeable one becomes, the more one realizes there are weaknesses and risks to every method. The more advanced practitioners use that risk to their advantage. By the way, I believe in Mario Sperry's early vale tudo video, he advocated standing up and grabbing your opponent's throat/neck. I think actually wanted the opponent to try to go for the armbar and he was use that opportunity to pass.
11/12/10 3:22 PM
pitbullxyz

LOL! So Mario was a fan of Road House! Thanks Bolo, it does seem like the greater the risk, the greater the reward when it comes to guard passing and opening. I'll continue working on this opening and finding out what I need to do to prevent the armbar. Thanks again.
11/12/10 3:39 PM
Bolo

Yes, there are times in which someone has a very good ability to maintain the closed guard and therefore you have to "give" him something in order to get the guy to uncross.
11/12/10 3:40 PM
Bolo

By the way, I got the e-mails you sent me. The problem is that they were not twisting their opponent's. They just folded them. Since there was no counter rotation and only flexion, their opponents were able to sweep them.
11/12/10 5:25 PM
pitbullxyz

Thanks as always
11/16/10 11:45 AM
Andrew Yao

I like to do it as a counter to the cross collar choke or any move where the guy on bottom is trying to pull your head down.  The more he pulls, the more he drives his own collar into his neck.  Since I only do it as a counter to the collar choke, I don't worry about gi or no gi since I'd only be doing it if he was using MY gi against me.
11/16/10 12:11 PM
Bolo

I agree with Andrew. If they are doing a move that is solely a gi move, I will use their gi against them.
11/16/10 2:08 PM
pitbullxyz

Good point, great to have another practitioner of your system helping out!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.