UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Alternate testing?

11/13/10 7:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is the method of testing for next rank by demonstrating technique and what not.

But I know there is another method where someone has to fight a number of the higher rank and beating them all in a row. I was talking to someone today about it and I couldn't come up with the name of that method.

Any help?
11/13/10 10:30 AM
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first method you are referring to is called a promotional examination that is used for each promotion for rank white belt up thru 1st degree brown belt by USJF. The second method I have been told (by a USJA sensei) is the randori method where the student fights in succession a number of class mates at that next rank and higher to "test" their skills for promotion. I hope USJA instructors can explain this method more.
11/13/10 2:20 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LetsTalkItOut - There is the method of testing for next rank by demonstrating technique and what not.

But I know there is another method where someone has to fight a number of the higher rank and beating them all in a row. I was talking to someone today about it and I couldn't come up with the name of that method.

Any help?[/quot

there are tournament in which you fight people of the same rank, with the winner staying in untill they are defeated. I got promote to nidan this way; I beat six shodans. You can also compete and earn points for beating different grades (belts); I got promoted to yodan this way. If you are competing keep a record of who you beat and where you compete. You need to look at whatever organization (usji, usjf ,usja) you belong to requirements.Btw, after yodan it depends on who you know!
11/13/10 8:18 PM
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would you guys happen to know the Japanese name of the method where you have to beat a certain number of higher belts in a row?
11/14/10 6:26 AM
Bently
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Batsugun
11/14/10 7:06 AM
LetsTalkItOut

Perfect, that's the one. Thank you
12/1/10 1:54 PM
Robin Ashe

So, hypothetically, if you have one really good throw, you could rank up quite high in Judo despite not having even a 5th of the Kodokan syllabus?
12/1/10 3:58 PM
Bently

Robin Ashe - So, hypothetically, if you have one really good throw, you could rank up quite high in Judo despite not having even a 5th of the Kodokan syllabus?

That would depend on which country you are in and which association is doing the grading. It is not uniform.

Ben

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.