UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Good old Muay Thai rules?

11/13/10 11:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IronMonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/13/10 11:15 PM

So last month I posted the Souwer padwork clip and we had a nice discussion of good old boxing rules generally not adhered to strictly in Muay Thai. What are the Muay Thai/ kickboxing equivalent to those good old boxing rules? I am guessing Muay Thai/ kickboxing probably vary more in the basic points simply due to more technique, different styles involved (Thai vs Dutch vs JPN) and different rule sets. In my experience I don't recall any hard and fast rules being taught to me by my muay thai coach, and I've seen almost all the boxing rules I know broken at one time or another. The only thing that do stick in my mind is he likes to lead a lot of combinations with a front kick.
11/15/10 12:14 PM
Khun Kao
1144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/16/10 11:08 AM
1. Your stance is your defense

2. Always step at an angle to roundkick

3. Step in the bucket

4. When you successfully land a push kick, immediately round kick to the same target

5. When your opponent employs skipping footwork (ala to switch kick), immediately step in and kick through his forward leg.

6. Don't put too much weight on your lead leg.

7. Lead toes straight forwards

8. The Knee Block beats the Round Kick.... EVERY.SINGLE.TIME!

9. Punches beat Kicks.

10. Knees beat Punches.

11. Elbows beat Knees.

12. Kicks beat Elbows.

13. Poker Face

14. Speed > Power

15. Technique + Speed = Power
11/15/10 2:04 PM
chris colquitt
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"always step in the bucket"? can you elaborate?
11/15/10 3:39 PM
Khun Kao
1144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its a reference to how you step when you kick. You need to step prior to kicking on your toes, and you learn to do the motion by imagining that you're stepping into a bucket. Hope that makes sense...

There are YouTube videos of Farangs training in Thailand having their kicking footwork corrected by their Thai trainers, they really emphasize (exaggerate) the motion...
11/15/10 4:20 PM
sevenone

#8 is soooo crucial!
I'm gonna print this list and give it out to new practitioners.
11/15/10 7:06 PM
IronMonkey

Khun Khao, great list. Any good videos you've favourited that show this step in the bucket footwork for the kicking? Do you actually lift your foot up a couple of inches to "step into the bucket" before kicking? Wouldn't this telegraph the kick? I've always imagine myself to spin on my supporting leg like a ballerina twirling when throwing the round kick. Yes it sounds gay :)
11/15/10 11:19 PM
scrappydoo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can you explain the knee block?
11/16/10 9:39 AM
Khun Kao

Edited: 11/16/10 9:39 AM
IronMonkey - Khun Khao, great list. Any good videos you've favourited that show this step in the bucket footwork for the kicking? Do you actually lift your foot up a couple of inches to "step into the bucket" before kicking? Wouldn't this telegraph the kick? I've always imagine myself to spin on my supporting leg like a ballerina twirling when throwing the round kick. Yes it sounds gay :)

It is my belief that the "Step in the Bucket" motion is simply an exercise to train fighters to step properly. In actual fighting application, the stepping motion is much, much, much more subtle.

I'll poke around YouTube to see if I can find an example of what I'm describing...
11/16/10 11:09 AM
Khun Kao

scrappydoo - can you explain the knee block?

Not sure what you mean... Do you mean explain the technique itself, or explain the reasoning behind the rule?
11/16/10 11:10 AM
scrappydoo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Khun Kao - 
scrappydoo - can you explain the knee block?

Not sure what you mean... Do you mean explain the technique itself, or explain the reasoning behind the rule?

both please
11/16/10 12:06 PM
Khun Kao

The Technique:

Raise your knee and point it into your opponents shin when they attempt to round kick you. This works for kicks aimed between the thigh and floating ribs. The important points of this technique are:

1) Raise the knee angled out towards the incoming kick. Do not raise your knee pointed towards your opponent.

2) Block with the actual knee, not with the shin.

The Reasoning:

The knee joint is much harder than the shinbone. Your opponents shin will give before your knee does.

Extra Point:

I have occasionally run across people claiming that blocking with your knee is a cheap, dick move to pull off. If anyone tells you this, please ignore them. This is Muay Thai 101. Even during training drills, you block with your knee. If you are performing a training drill that involves contact, you should be wearing shinguards anyway.
11/16/10 2:59 PM
sevenone

TTT
11/19/10 4:11 PM
Khun Kao

@grachuss...

It really depends, to be honest. I don't prescribe to any one counter being the best because to quote a guy I used to coach with, "Situation dictates response"

In many cases, the straight right will be the best because it the fastest and simplest. Sometimes a skipping kick with the lead leg is best. I sometimes like to walk it into a clinch and knee. It's really going to boil down to how your opponent reacts to the knee block, whats exposed at that given moment, and what is your preferred way to attack the open target.
11/30/10 8:44 PM
Luigipe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.