UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Keith Berry: "Herschel Walker an embarrassment"

11/16/10 2:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keith Berry Calls Herschel Walker “An Embarrassment,” Wants To Fight Him In Strikeforce

Keith Berry

Keith Berry

While much of the MMA world is enamored by former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker’s transition into the sport, there are a few fighters who would love a shot at the 48-year-old former NFL running back.

Enter Keith “KO Kid” Berry. A WEC and King of the Cage veteran, who is facing former Affliction fighter Brett Cooper this weekend in California, hopes that Strikeforce is listening because he’s got a very simple message

He wants to fight Herschel Walker.

“I’d love to fight Herschel Walker, but they’d probably never give me that fight because they only want to give him the wins,” Berry told MMAWeekly.com.

Walker returns on Dec. 4 at Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu 2 against Scott Carson in St. Louis, and there has been some criticism of the promotion’s choice of opponents for the 1-0 football player turned fighter.

Berry believes it’s Strikeforce’s desire to build Walker up and not give him a real challenge, which he’s disappointed about when looking at how competition works in MMA.

“I think sometimes Strikeforce they build up these guys like Herschel Walker, like the last fight I saw him in, he fought a guy that was 1-1 and he just looked bad,” Berry said about Walker. “I just thought he looked really bad, and his hands were so stiff and I just thought if I gave him one good overhand right, he would just go down.”

Currently riding a three fight win streak of his own, Berry would be happy to test Walker if both fighters are successful in their upcoming campaigns. Berry wants to derail the Herschel Walker hype train, once and for all.

“Guys like that have a little bit of hype on them and I don’t think he’s a real MMA fighter. He trains at AKA with some good guys, that’s cool, but I don’t think he’s anything special,” Berry commented. “I saw his fight and it was embarrassing. A regular guy, a journeyman could smash him. That’s just my opinion.”

Before Berry gets any sort of shot at Walker down the road, he’ll first deal with Brett Cooper this weekend in California, a test he’s not looking past.

Berry also points out that if he’s successful against Cooper, he may try to get Strikeforce to bite on the Walker fight or maybe make another run at the UFC’s “Ultimate Fighter” reality show.

“Brett Cooper’s no joke either,” said Berry. “He’s fought a lot of tough fights, and he’s been around. He’s a good fighter. I’m looking to take him out and then move on to bigger, better things.

“I got an offer from Strikeforce for some things, but it was just too short notice. Hopefully after this I’ll get another offer from them. I tried out for ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ and that was a little bit political, but I might try out for that again.”

Whatever the future holds, Berry isn’t afraid to let his opinion be known. He’s ready to put his fists to work to back-up any talk from his mouth. Keith Berry faces Brett Cooper this weekend in middleweight action in California.

mmaweekly.com/keith-berry-calls-herschel-walker-an-embarrassment-and-wants-to-fight-him-in-strikeforce

11/16/10 2:51 PM
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see it! 

UG member Keith "KO KID" Berry vs Herschel Walker would be awesome!!!
11/16/10 2:53 PM
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JFC I hate when anonymous fighters attention grab for headlines.  Weaksauce.  

No fucking shit you want to fight Herschel Walker, so do 40,000 other nobodys who want their shot at the big time in what they consider the easiest way possible. 
11/16/10 2:53 PM
knockoutfighter

Hell yeah! Now that's how you make MMAWeekly headlines bro!!!

Good one Keith!
11/16/10 2:56 PM
B3LI3VE
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's probably going to get some heat for this from the anti-UFC shills around here, but you're right, this is how you make headlines the week before your title fight!
11/16/10 3:00 PM
fabes
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calling Keith a pussy is straight up retarded. Phone Post
11/16/10 3:01 PM
jjj2121

fabes -  Calling Keith a pussy is straight up retarded. Phone Post

Calling out Herschel Walker when you are a KOTC local level middleweight is equally retarded.
11/16/10 3:01 PM
NHB USA

StoutGapedTheQueen -  Makes you look like a bit of a pussy when you call out a 45 year old man with very little actual MMA training.
Really?  He's up there training with the UFC HW Champion, Cain Velasquez.  All the AKA members talk very highly of Walker,  Berry is just trying to get another big fight, and he's not the only one calling out Walker, half the MMA community wants to fight him! 

11/16/10 3:03 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

But the thing is, Walker isn't out there claiming hes a top 10 fighter, or even a top fighter in any respect. Strikeforce isn't marketing him like he's a top fighter either; so I really don't get why people come off and diss the guy.

11/16/10 3:05 PM
Jamon Shakur
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MEDIA, do you know how it works ?
11/16/10 3:05 PM
jjj2121

NHB USA - 
StoutGapedTheQueen -  Makes you look like a bit of a pussy when you call out a 45 year old man with very little actual MMA training.
Really?  He's up there training with the UFC HW Champion, Cain Velasquez.  All the AKA members talk very highly of Walker,  Berry is just trying to get another big fight, and he's not the only one calling out Walker, half the MMA community wants to fight him! 

Sure they do, everyone wants the path of least resistance to stardom.  Nobody thinks Herschel Walker is some sort of killer.

What did beating Kimbo get Seth Petruzelli long term?
What did beating Lashley get Chad Griggs?
What did beating Johnnie Morton get Bernard Ackah?
11/16/10 3:06 PM
jjj2121

Jamon Shakur - MEDIA, do you know how it works ?

It's embarrassing that MMAWeekly would even waste their time with crap like this.
11/16/10 3:21 PM
NHB USA

jjj2121 - 
NHB USA - 

Sure they do, everyone wants the path of least resistance to stardom.  Nobody thinks Herschel Walker is some sort of killer.

What did beating Kimbo get Seth Petruzelli long term?
What did beating Lashley get Chad Griggs?
What did beating Johnnie Morton get Bernard Ackah?

LOL dude relax.  It's just a few sentences Keith said about Walker that MMAWeekly took and ran with it, and turned it into a front page article.  Keith is just trying to get a big fight, and as you can see he'll fight anyone, anytime, even Terry Martin when your 18 years old for the WEC LHW title!  He's not looking for "easy" fights at all or he wouldn't be fighting Brett Cooper this Fridaythat not too many people even knew about.

11/16/10 3:27 PM
BillyRayChubbs
587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why do people hate on Hershel for fighting a guy who was 1-1, and it was Hershel's FIRST MMA fight?
11/16/10 3:31 PM
Dragon X

I'd watch that fight. bring it
11/16/10 3:45 PM
frankiscool
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, what BALLS on Berry...he's calling out a 1-0, 48 year old fighter!

Who the fuck do they want Walker to fight?  Rogers?

The guy wants to train and loves MMA...his coaches said he was ready to make his debut against a guy with similar length of training.   Where's the problem?

Someone sounds jealous.
11/16/10 3:45 PM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/16/10 3:46 PM
was an embarrasment to the sport when Herschel donated his entire Strikeforce paycheck to charity. only complete a--holes donate to charity.
11/16/10 3:47 PM
frankiscool
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love that he said they gave Walker a guy who was 1-1...Walker was 0-0.

Dumb
11/16/10 3:49 PM
frontrowbrian

Good job by Keith to get his name out there. This is a heel turn. I know Keith, he's a natural baby face but turning heel at this point is a good business decision. Any Heat is good heat.

If he picks on someone no one has ever heard of, we wouldn't be talking about it. 

11/16/10 3:56 PM
1TitoTooMany
1571 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for my good friend Keith Berry
11/16/10 4:02 PM
stlnl2
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BillyRayChubbs -  Why do people hate on Hershel for fighting a guy who was 1-1, and it was Hershel's FIRST MMA fight?

BEcause SF put it on TV.....

TV isnt for 1-1, or 0-0 guys. Its for either a) proven guys fighting proven guys or b) a guy who isnt proven willing to risk it all against a proven guy. Its not for "building careers".
11/16/10 4:02 PM
Ironclad

Edited: 11/16/10 4:04 PM

WEAK!

It's not as if Walker is making himself out to be the next big thing in mma. He's doing it because he enjoys it. Not once have I seen Walker talk trash about the sport.

The fact of the matter is he's a guy in his mid 40's with one professional fight who happens to get quite a bit of media attention due to his accomplishments in football.

Berry stated that Walker's last fight was embarassing. Was Walker, who's in incredible shape for his age but obviously past his prime, supposed to look like a world beater in first pro fight? The only thing embarrassing here are Berry's comments.

11/16/10 4:04 PM
JimmersonzGlove
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Walker has been nothing but class. That's a low rent column, IMO
11/16/10 4:07 PM
stlnl2
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carl Weathers - 
stlnl2 - 
BillyRayChubbs -  Why do people hate on Hershel for fighting a guy who was 1-1, and it was Hershel's FIRST MMA fight?

BEcause SF put it on TV.....

TV isnt for 1-1, or 0-0 guys. Its for either a) proven guys fighting proven guys or b) a guy who isnt proven willing to risk it all against a proven guy. Its not for "building careers".
Unless they are Brock then it's ok right???

Brock wasnt OK, but, Brock did have to fight a proven guy pretty early............so you really cant use him. He didnt get a "build up".
11/16/10 4:14 PM
Brian Rule
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Walker > no name douche

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.