UnderGround Forums

Jen >> How to defeat the cross face during elbow escapes

11/19/10 1:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ramses II
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I have pretty good control from the mount with guys of my skill level. I am a blue belt, and I am able to shut down all upa and elbow escape attempts from the mount.

One simple thing I do when someone tries to elbow escape is I pinch my knees and crossface the upper portion of their head with my arm using the bicep area. It stops the escape cold and I understand why it does.

My question is if this was done to me I wouldn't know how to stop it. Switching to a quick upa as the cross face is coming doesn't work.

Any ideas?
11/20/10 4:30 PM
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The reason I don't like traditional elbow-knee escape is because the way that it is taught, there is no initial off balance created as soon as you start the movement. As a result, the top person can defend from a structurally strong and balanced position. In my opinion, your initial movement must start to and subsequent movements must continue to off balance your opponent. When someone is off balance, they have 2 choices, balance out or fall over. In addition, being off balance means being misalignment. Being misaligned means you don't have the structural strength to effectively counter.
11/23/10 12:09 PM
Hunter V
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds like a topic for a video!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.