UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kimbo boxing debut delayed until who knows when

11/19/10 10:06 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Kimbo Slice's ballyhooed jump from mixed martial arts to professional boxing will be delayed until at least early next year, promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

"Right now he's vacationing in Florida. He went home for Thanksgiving. His pro debut will be put off until at least the beginning of next year. He needs more work and more sparring."

"I had him in California sparring and in real training with (boxing trainer Clemente) Medina and (S&C coach Darryl) Hudson. He was given all the tools, but he continues to get offers from MMA and offers to be in movies and it's hard to keep him focused on training camp. That's the story more than anything else."

"I'm hoping he will turn pro. People of all ages recognize him, so when you're with him it's like you are with a huge star, but he's never been in a boxing ring for a real fight.

"It's like with Mike Tyson and Manny Pacquiao -- when they walk into a room, they own the room. When Kimbo walks into a room, Kimbo owns the room and it's all about Kimbo.

"When everyone recognizes you and you believe you are a huge star, and you get all of these offers, it's hard to go to a gym and work like you're a rookie. But he's coming back to California to train after the holidays. Hopefully, he means after the Thanksgiving holiday."

Read entire article...

11/19/10 10:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He got cast in Survivor I think, Gary probably isn't allowed to say that...
11/19/10 10:13 AM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

no, it's NOTHING like tyson or manny. it's like a clown show with kimbo. he's never accomplished a thing, and is famous as a backyard fighter. he has nothing in common at all with those two
11/19/10 10:58 AM
Lunchbox101

That's an insult to Tyson and Pacman's skill set.

They "own a room" for completely different reasons. Kimbo made a name for himself fighting Joes behind burger kings and in someone's backyard. Tyson and Manny made names for themselves beating the living hell out of the best in the world, and making it look easy.

Kimbo comes off as a humble man in his interviews, so I don't want to spend too much time talking down about him... but he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same league as those two gentlemen.

Gary Shaw has proven himself an idiot many times before - this is just another ladle full of gravy for the biscuits.
11/19/10 11:02 AM
Hired Gun
534 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a bum and Gary Shaw is a crook.
11/19/10 11:46 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
Hopefully this means

Kimbo boxing debut delayed until never

11/19/10 11:47 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
juggalo4lyfe - kimbo is one of the sport's greats 

You're one of the worst trolls here.  Go back to Sherdog.
11/19/10 3:02 PM
grkblood

anyone care about kimbo anymore?
11/19/10 3:07 PM
HaoleBoy
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how old is Kimbo?

got to be getting close to 40
11/19/10 3:13 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did chuckle at the title...
11/19/10 3:25 PM
Marco808

I don't see him doing that well in boxing. I guess it depends on how they bring him along, but his age doesn't really allow him to slowly work his way up the ranks. They pretty much have to just throw him in there. And I don't know know how many rounds his fights will start out at, but 10 rounds of boxing is pretty brutal. Even those 4 or 6 rounders are tough. Most people don't have the ridiculous gastanks that Manny and other elite boxers have.

But I wish him luck.

11/19/10 3:30 PM
Poindexter
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shaw is a turd.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.