UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> JUDO CLINIC IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

11/19/10 11:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

“A Building Block for Future Champions”
Sponsored by Nanka Judo and WCTC
USJF Sanction #: 10-11-21
What makes a Champion? Come and spend time with past World and
Olympic Champions and from members of the 2010 Jr World Team. Learn.
Work. Improve.
Date: Sunday, November 21, 2010
Times: 9 am to 5 pm
? 9 am to 2 pm – All (Juniors and Seniors)
? 2pm to 5 pm – Juniors (including Shorai and WCTC
members)
12953 Brandford Street
Pacoima, CA 91331
Clinicians: AnnMaria DeMars…… Competition Psychology
Ronda Rousey………... Competitive Edge
Justin Flores………….. Competition Preparation
Kyle Taketa………….. Competition Training and Experience
Amelia Fugentes…….. Competition Training and Experience
David Honda ………… Competition Training and Experience
Vanessa Calimquim…..Competition Training and Experience
Jake Flores…………… Competition Coaching
Clinic Manager: Hayward Nishioka For more information contact phone:
C424-347-7577 or email: nishiokahayward@gmail.com
Fees: ? $10 – Clinic open to all current members of USJF, USJA
and USA Judo.
? Also, invited one instructor and one assistant instructor
from each dojo at no cost if the dojo has at least two (2)
paid students at the clinic.
? Free – Current Shorai and WCTC members and program
instructors.
? $3 – Non Shorai or WCTC juniors who wish to
participate from 3 pm to 6 pm only
11/19/10 2:54 PM
CyborgRoyce
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey gbutts, I recently moved to West LA and I'm looking for Judo clubs. I found Sawtelle Judo online (which I will go try out this evening) but are there any other clubs nearby?

Would love to train at Tenri but it's way too far for me.
11/19/10 5:17 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CyborgRoyce - Hey gbutts, I recently moved to West LA and I'm looking for Judo clubs. I found Sawtelle Judo online (which I will go try out this evening) but are there any other clubs nearby?

Would love to train at Tenri but it's way too far for me.

Nanka website (nankajudo.com) has a list of dojos. When decide to visited these dojo let me know and i'll tell about their worth. We (me and others )also run a training center in west covina on Saturday and Sunday.
11/20/10 2:00 AM
CyborgRoyce
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey gbutts. I went to train with Kenji at Sawtelle tonight. The class was pretty good. he mentioned this event at the end of the class and said that Rhonda was gonna be there (he didn't mention any other names). Thought you might be pleased to know.
11/20/10 6:38 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This sounds like a great seminar with Justin,Kyle and Ronda. This will be a big learning experience even for experience judoka because they show the teckniques they are good at and can be adapted to your game with practice. Not everyone has "ippon judo" so you have to at least have "yuko judo" (used to be called koka judo) and learn new ways to score and combinations that will work for you.
11/20/10 10:47 AM
gbutts

CyborgRoyce - Hey gbutts. I went to train with Kenji at Sawtelle tonight. The class was pretty good. he mentioned this event at the end of the class and said that Rhonda was gonna be there (he didn't mention any other names). Thought you might be pleased to know.

Kenji knows alot of classical judo and he can be help most of the time. There is a bb judo guy who is also a bjj bb that use to train there about a year ago. If he is there try to workout with him as much as possible he is really good on the ground and he has decent standing. The good about southern california is that there is a dojo every 20 miles. I would suggest you visit all the clubs in your area at least three times before you hang your hat.
11/20/10 2:29 PM
CyborgRoyce

gbutts - 
CyborgRoyce - Hey gbutts. I went to train with Kenji at Sawtelle tonight. The class was pretty good. he mentioned this event at the end of the class and said that Rhonda was gonna be there (he didn't mention any other names). Thought you might be pleased to know.

Kenji knows alot of classical judo and he can be help most of the time. There is a bb judo guy who is also a bjj bb that use to train there about a year ago. If he is there try to workout with him as much as possible he is really good on the ground and he has decent standing. The good about southern california is that there is a dojo every 20 miles. I would suggest you visit all the clubs in your area at least three times before you hang your hat.

20 miles is a long way to travel in LA man haha. The other two clubs seem to be near downtown which are shocking for traffic.

What's the name of said bjj black belt? I'm from a newaza-based club myself and would really enjoy getting some good ground work in.
11/21/10 10:33 PM
jayflo145
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I will not be attending. I just found out I was "supposed" to be in attendance while reading this thread 2 minutes ago. Too bad to, I miss LA!
11/21/10 10:59 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Justin... dont you love that.
11/21/10 11:55 PM
jayflo145
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/21/10 11:55 PM
It's my favorite! How's life treating you family-man Resnick? And how's the wrestling team doing so far?
11/22/10 6:40 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any feedback/video of the clinic?
11/22/10 10:04 AM
gbutts

Edited: 11/22/10 10:05 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I will not be attending. I just found out I was "supposed" to be in attendance while reading this thread 2 minutes ago. Too bad to, I miss LA!

I guess Nanka forgot to let you know. Ronda and Crystal are doing a matwork clinic in December in San Diego. Kelly Barnes is looking for another clinician, so you should contact her or AnnMarie. T I believe the clinicians are paid. Anyway, sorry you got the word too late my kids always enjoy our clinics.
11/22/10 10:09 AM
gbutts

CyborgRoyce - 
gbutts - 

20 miles is a long way to travel in LA man haha. The other two clubs seem to be near downtown which are shocking for traffic.

What's the name of said bjj black belt? I'm from a newaza-based club myself and would really enjoy getting some good ground work in.

Sorry, I don't remember his name.
11/23/10 4:06 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Justin... the familia is doing well.. we are starting to relax a bit, had a rough stretch last spring. thanks for asking...

the wrestling team is coming along i suppose. 1st year is always difficult to know what you have or dont have. this weekend is out first taste of other teams at an all levels scrimmage in san clemente. varsity's first tournament is december 11.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.