UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Controversy looms between Lauzon, Sotiropoulus

11/19/10 9:56 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Lauzon effectively feels that Sotiropoulos is flouting a loophole in the rules prohibiting grappling pants; Sotiropoulos says he's doing nothing wrong and that many others have used the same equipment before him.

Lauzon's concern is that Sotiropoulos' fight gear provides extra grip to aid in submission tries.

"I've asked the commission what my choices are, if I can even stop him from wearing it or not," said Lauzon. "In the past, all the commissions I've dealt with, it's always been OK for them to wear something as long as the opponent agreed. If they agreed, it's all fair. People say I'm calling him a cheater? I'm not. It's a thing where he was given a choice, he decided to wear it and the opponent could have stopped him. If the opponent didn't want to stop him, that's fine. But if I choose to stop him, I will if I can."

"It's well within the rules what I'm doing," Sotiropoulos later said. "Lots of fighters have done it. Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Frank Mir, Tim Sylvia, just to name a few. It's well within the rules what I'm doing. It gives both fighters some kind of an advantage. It gives him grip and it gives me more grip. That's part of the reality of wearing any sort of fabric on your body. Does it give me any advantage over my opponent? No, it gives us equal advantage. It gives us both a level playing field and that's really the bottom line."

read entire article...

11/19/10 9:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EckY
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it is such a big advantage why dont all grapplers do it?

Why dont all BJJ guys in Japan wear tights?
11/19/10 9:58 PM
SchwarzerPanter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Sotiropolous destroys lauzon ..
11/19/10 10:06 PM
brahmabull81
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dontbehatin - if he's NOT trying to gain an advantage, why doesn't he just wear normal shorts?

George isnt arguing his side well. Hes trying to fight to say that the same friction that it gives him, his opponent gets to use as well. I guess it basically makes it easier to grapple for both guys (in terms of the user being able to grip with his legs and his opponent being able to very easily grip his legs)? George is just going "they said i could," so hes not defending it well.
11/19/10 10:07 PM
KC007

J. Lo will murder his ass. I'm serious, he'll do that. Phone Post
11/19/10 10:07 PM
Doem
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you cant hate on lauzon for bringing this up
if you ban tights then you should be banning this as well, plain and simple.
but bringing it up weeks away from a fight you already signed for is both the wrong time and the wrong venue
11/19/10 10:24 PM
Ghost of Retard
712 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been saying they should just fight naked like back in the day and end all the controversy

11/19/10 10:27 PM
edock02
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SchwarzerPanter -  I hope Sotiropolous destroys lauzon ..

11/19/10 10:27 PM
AceAtGSU
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Joe wins, I think George will, but in any case he is wearing way to much stuff. He has his feet wrapped all the time also, its like he is trying to cover everything he can for advantage.
11/19/10 10:29 PM
Body Shots
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lauzon will finish him! Phone Post
11/19/10 10:30 PM
bee rad

I think this is etting blown out of proportion. 
11/19/10 10:53 PM
Poindexter
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It looks ridiculous (which is beside the point), but the commision should be consistent and already have the ruling in advance to avoid situations like this.
11/19/10 10:59 PM
cajunselfdefense

gives Joe more grip when / if he decides to go for a leglock.

no forked tongue speak goin on here.

George gonna steam roll J-Low
11/19/10 11:00 PM
nyhcloyalty
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kind of sucks there's already a built in excuse post-fight.
11/19/10 11:05 PM
rockwell
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is getting silly now.

The AC need to just say that it's legal or illegal and that will be the end of it.

If they say it's legal then expect others to follow George S's lead.
11/19/10 11:06 PM
Buck 65

I miss the old days where fighters didn't whine or complain about small things, they just go in there and fight
11/19/10 11:11 PM
orcus

For the love of god, would someone please ask Joe why he doesn't wear the same stuff if he feels it provides such an advantage?

11/19/10 11:23 PM
bhamill
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh Please. It provides George an adavntage because more grip plays to HIS area of strength.

Maybe all of Junior Dos Santos' opponents would like to wear headgear too so they can't be knocked out too easily, but its okay cause they can both wear it... it can't possibly be an advantage or unfair....
11/19/10 11:33 PM
osiriss
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^thank you... Lol Phone Post
11/19/10 11:49 PM
Master Tang

this would be easily settled if they all just fought completely naked
11/20/10 12:11 AM
orcus

Maybe all of Junior Dos Santos' opponents would like to wear headgear too so they can't be knocked out too easily, but its okay cause they can both wear it... it can't possibly be an advantage or unfair....

How can it be unfair if both guys do it?
11/20/10 12:23 AM
Emphatik
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

How can it be unfair if both guys do it?

lol, exactly.

a big bunch of bitching and nothing more.
11/20/10 1:33 AM
PirateJax

Is there a rule against it or not? If not, why is this even being discussed?
11/20/10 1:46 AM
rockwell
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm there isn't a rule against. But there also isn't anything saying it's ok.

Some Commissions say it's ok if the other fighter says it is.

What we need is for the Commission to just be firm and make a statement clearly.
11/20/10 2:00 AM
Ew0k187

g-sot : JUST LET ME FUCKING WEAR IT EVEN THOUGH IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING

lmao

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.