UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Controversy looms between Lauzon, Sotiropoulus

11/20/10 2:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
32Hunter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buck 65 - I miss the old days where fighters didn't whine or complain about small things, they just go in there and fight

11/20/10 2:40 AM
AceAtGSU
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sixteen Tons - 
orcus - For the love of god, would someone please ask Joe why he doesn't wear the same stuff if he feels it provides such an advantage?

Sot is the better submission grappler (as the consensus goes) so Joe wearing them would only give him an advantage from guard (where he does not plan to be) and a disadvantage defending leglocks (which he may have to do). For George, he's always on his back rubber-guarding and therefore the knee and ankle sleeves are a big advantage for him, where they would be detrimental to Joe.

this
11/20/10 7:55 AM
Tkelly647
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cajunselfdefense - gives Joe more grip when / if he decides to go for a leglock.

no forked tongue speak goin on here.

George gonna steam roll J-Low
List of advantages for George:
Much harder to pass from his half guard
Gives him advantage with any sub involving the legs (which is quite alot)
Harder to sherk him if he gets him legs hooked when he has your back
Harder to open his guard (depending on you're guard opening technique )

List of advantages for J-low 
Easier for him to get more grip if he wants to go for that sub he's most famous for, a leglock (heavy on the sarcasm)

J-low gets fewer sub advantages and doesn't get anything else, whereas George has all those advantages. OF COURSE IT'S NOT AN EVEN PLAYING FIELD, do you honestly believe George wears that stuff to make it fair? You're insane. Alot of fighters will do anything to help them to get the win, none of them will do something to help make the fight even.

11/20/10 8:11 AM
rbl
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it's not against the rules, it's legal. 
11/20/10 8:52 AM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the rules are already stacked against grappling
11/20/10 8:53 AM
IatskevichFightClub

All the rubber guard player need extra grip, That's it.

So no extra grip = rubber guard suck. I'm making fun of a guy who use that shit at my gym.
11/20/10 9:09 AM
clattymine
407 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Joe gets subbed and George isn't wearing this shit, holy fuck all am I going to be dissapointed.
11/20/10 12:17 PM
Forssberg

orcus - 
Maybe all of Junior Dos Santos' opponents would like to wear headgear too so they can't be knocked out too easily, but its okay cause they can both wear it... it can't possibly be an advantage or unfair....

How can it be unfair if both guys do it?

Because the advantage that one fighter is generously equalizing benefits both fighters unequally. Headgear is more advantageous to Junior's opponents than to himself; in fact, it would tend to reduce the effect of Junior's punching power and, hence, his true competitive advantage over the opponent.

Same with Sotiropoulus' attire. It enhances George's guard but does not benefit Lauzon's equally, because Joe does not need the added grip to begin with. So the net effect favours one fighter over the other.
11/20/10 12:37 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both Nevada and New Jersey say they don't have a problem with his legwear.

I can't see a fairly new commission like the one in Michigan doing anything different than the two most respected commissions in the sport who were most responsible for making the Unified rules as we know them.

http://www.cagepotato.com/uproar-over-george-sotiropoulos’-legwear-much-ado-about-nothing

The braces helped Joe Stevenson hold onto George's legs.

11/20/10 12:40 PM
michaelkaras
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

get in my guard!

hopefully joe KOs him.

definitely not very fair. i dont even dislike george, i like watching him fight a lot, but his explanation was bullocks. he knows its to his advantage, joe knows, and the commission knows, but they dont have a rule that will make george take it off.

im sure an amendment to the unified rules will take care of it, but after the fight...........

the other problem is that michigan (where im posting from) (and am super excited to see the fights tonight from) is kinda flying from the seat of their pants on this one, rulewise.

regardless, im a lauzon fan so WAR him, hope the extra stuff doesnt F him up
11/20/10 12:42 PM
JasonSB

God I hope George destroys joe in this fight. Maybe he will give him the same treatment as Jon Jones gave to Vera. This is sad cause I used to like Joe, oh well. Also damn I miss Pride; shoe, GI, tights, shit don't matter just show up and fight. These dudes need to learn some budo (WEC fighters excluded).
11/20/10 8:03 PM
Frozenropes

dontbehatin - if he's NOT trying to gain an advantage, why doesn't he just wear normal shorts?

11/20/10 8:27 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Creepy is just playing the head games, he's got this...
11/21/10 2:35 AM
evangelico

up with sotiropoulus!
greater portland baby!!!!
11/22/10 9:39 AM
nyhcloyalty
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cyril Jeff -  Creepy is just playing the head games, he's got this...

Oh really...
11/22/10 10:28 AM
Einar
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let them wear freaking Gi's if they want to. Only wearing a speedo favours some fighters, wearing pants favours others. Why should only the fighters who want themselves and their oponents to be as slippery as possible have the final say?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.