UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> How Do The Thais Fight So Damn Much?

11/20/10 3:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DevinS
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was in Thailand some guys were fighting every other week, sometimes even more. They take some heavy, heavy kicks and some even get cut w/ elbows, yet they still fight again in almost no time. Its crazy to me. I had one fight in Thailand and could barely walk for days after the fight b/c so many of my kicks were blocked. I couldn't have imagined fighting again the week after. What's their secret?
11/20/10 6:23 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What gym were you at where the Thai's were fighting every other week?
11/20/10 6:28 PM
Bryan72
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive seen some of the kids fight with little time between fights. And I saw one upper level guy who had been retired, making a comeback, score a ko in Lumpini, then took off up country for a fight a few days later. But this wasn't a usual occurance.

I think with the kids, it's more common. Less damage, etc. But then again, money talks, so I understand why it happens.
11/20/10 6:50 PM
DevinS
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It wasn't actually the gym I was at, Ryuku. I went to Surin with one of the trainers and he took me to some fights out there. Someone would get knocked out, and he'd tell , "no problem, he fight again next weekend." He told me he did the same thing growing up. Its just so casual to them.

I also saw a Ramon Dekkers interview where he talked about sometimes fighting in Europe on a Wednesday and then flying to Thailand to fight on Saturday. Nuts!

But even Bee from TrueBee Gym, barely three weeks ago he fought and got a huge cut on his head and just last night he fought again. Its crazy to me. In the states people are fighting twice a year.
11/22/10 5:46 PM
DevinS

^^ def true. I'm just amazed they're physically able to do it. Their lives are unimaginably hard. So much respect.
11/22/10 10:24 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kids in typical boxing gyms go through stretches of fighting every week or two too. It's not a unique phenomenon. Partly it's the hardcore culture of the camps, partly it's their young age, and partly it's being in great shape constantly.
11/23/10 1:35 AM
DevinS

Are you talking about American boxing? Don't they wear headgear in amateur fights?
11/23/10 9:17 PM
OneScoup

Yes, American boxing. They wear headgear, but they get hit in the head far more. Boxing is far worse for the brain than Muay Thai.
11/23/10 9:56 PM
DevinS

That's true, but I have a hard time believing they feel as physically beat up as kids who are taking kicks on the shins and knees to the ribs. I believe the Thais also fight with 8oz gloves.
11/24/10 2:24 PM
Normal MT

He's right though Boxing is far worse for the brain, with the head being 90 percent of the target.
11/24/10 9:05 PM
OneScoup

I'd be willing to bet when the Thai kids get really beat up in a fight they take the time off. Same as boxing gyms. You can't always do it, but it's possible and certainly done.
11/25/10 5:37 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

amature boxing? maybe 20 years ago, today its a slapfest

11/25/10 11:04 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gokudamus stole my name - amature boxing? maybe 20 years ago, today its a slapfest

Not at all. In fact I see bloddy noses at almost every single USA BoXing event I go to.
11/25/10 11:49 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im not sure about USA boxing. But olympic rules boxing is a slapfest mainly because of the scoring system. I dont really think its comparable to 9 year olds fighting with elbows in Thailand

And i suspect that if you do get KOd in a USA boxing event, you wont be allowed to compete again anytime soon. Thats not really the case in Thailand, most of the kids were left at the camps to support their farming families, and having to take time off means no money to the family

11/26/10 5:06 PM
OneScoup

Edited: 11/26/10 5:38 PM
So you've competed in the amateurs or olympic rules and can tell us how the punches don't hurt and our boxers are soft?

9 year old kids don't hit that hard compared to teens or adults. And while it's true USA boxing won't allow you to fight for 2 mos after a knockdown (I believe), it happens in unsanctioned events and in sparring between sanctioned fights, and they compete anyways.

And in practice elbows usually cause cuts not KO's, I don't see how that makes them so different for the basis of this comparison.
11/27/10 11:18 AM
Gokudamus stole my name

Im not sure who "your" boxers are. And you seem to be very insecure. I never said "your" boxers are soft. I said olympic rules is a slapfest. Not because the boxers are soft but because the scoring system rewards the fighter who lands the most clean punches but not always the hardest punches.

"9 year old kids don't hit that hard compared to teens or adults. And while it's true USA boxing won't allow you to fight for 2 mos after a knockdown (I believe), it happens in unsanctioned events and in sparring between sanctioned fights, and they compete anyways."

a 9 year olds brain is much more susceptible to brain trauma than an adults. I dont know what unsanctioned bouts have anything to do with this.

"And in practice elbows usually cause cuts not KO's, I don't see how that makes them so different for the basis of this comparison."

If you meant training you dont spar with elbows. If you meant elbows usually cause cuts in MT then i honestly dont know what you are doing on this subforum as you dont seem to know what the hell you are talking about

11/28/10 7:46 AM
Normal MT

I'm personally not a real big fan of Oly or USA boxing as I've watched the ref's over legislate the competition.
Due to the judging the boxers are almost turned into points sparring at times IMO.
11/28/10 1:10 PM
OneScoup

Ours = American

I'm not insecure. I find it annoying when non-fighters come on forums and talk crap about fighters and what it's like to fight when they don't know what they're talking about.

In boxing and I'd guess Muay Thai (not sure though) you're more likely to see the younger kids fight weekly because they heal faster and don't hit each other as hard.
12/3/10 3:22 AM
Jesús X
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull_in_chinashop - 
Gokudamus stole my name - amature boxing? maybe 20 years ago, today its a slapfest

Not at all. In fact I see bloddy noses at almost every single USA BoXing event I go to.

me too ,I used to go to DG boxing gym in westminister and there events were brutal, 2-4 bloody noses each time.
12/3/10 4:00 PM
DevinS

a bloody nose doesn't really mean anything though. I can get popped with a jab and my nose will bleed. I'll forget all about it an hour after sparring.
12/3/10 5:38 PM
Normal MT

I finally got fed up with USA, one of my guys would bleed at the drop of a hat. One ref called his fight in the first 30 seconds and we didnt even know the fight was over until I saw him collecting scorecards. We always looked at a bloody nose as just getting started.
12/5/10 12:21 AM
OneScoup

Sometimes it's tough for the ref to tell the difference between a guy with a broken nose and one of those guys whose nose swells up and bleeds all the time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.