UnderGround Forums

MMA Photography UnderGround >> Made the jump to Mac.

11/20/10 3:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CombatCaptured
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bought my 1st Mac.

Went with a 17' MacBook Pro.
-Struggled with the 15' or 17' for a long time, but in the end went with the larger 17'
-1st. I work in hotels and at home, so size for portability is not a real probem.
-2nd. I wanted the ExpressCard/34 slot,  and with a 133 MB/sec card reader and a ScanDisk 90mb/s card it's super fast!

Went Antiglare

Went with the 128SSD:
-only $150 for the the 7200rpm HHD.
-Super Fast
-Buring all files (Including LR3 Catalog) then removing from MacBook, worked great with 1st 2 shows so far.

Went with 4gigs RAM:
Bought and installed 8gig upgrade from OWC for only $157, compared to apples $400.

Next upgrade is a 240GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD from OWC to replace the optical drive (since I'll be using an external BluRay/DVD/CD burner)
11/20/10 6:44 PM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

welcome to dark side.

interested to see how ssd affects performance
11/20/10 8:07 PM
CombatCaptured

Edited: 11/20/10 8:31 PM
Was a long thought out decision, even when I bought it I wasn't sure.
And it wasn't till my 1st out of town show that I did discover it was 1 of the best decisions I made for my photography business and my sanity!
I use to drive (2-5hrs) home after out of town shows and then edit when I got in, befor sleeping.
So much nicer to get to the room, edit the shots and get them out, then go to sleep and drive home awake the next day!

As for some stats:
Start up is 19sec
Shut down is 2seconds
Lightroom 3 opens to fully loaded Catalog in just 3.5 seconds
(My PC is 12.0seconds {AMD 3.41 Phenom II Black Edition and 7200rpm HHD, 8g (3.25)RAM}

11.97gigs from CF card to SSD in just 2min 18sec <<<
(usb2.0 on PC is around 35minutes!!!)
This would be a result of SSD the ExpressCard/34slot and the 90mb/s CF Card though.

Everything else is instant - 2sec

Since I'm done with camera equipment upgrade till the Nikon D4 comes out, I'll be spending $$$ on:
Swapping the optical to a 240SSD, and then I'll be changing out the 128SSD for another 240SSD and going RAID
Should be scary fast.

Haven't bothered with any benchmarks as of yet.

11/21/10 11:36 AM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, I've been planning to upgrade my HDD recently, but I've got an old-ass MacBook which might not even accept the SSDs...that's some fast shit.

That CF xfer time is pretty freakin awesome.
11/21/10 2:22 PM
CombatCaptured

Check out OWC, it has upgrades by model/year
3/23/11 4:05 PM
phantomknifehand
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats, now you're fucked. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.