UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> ATTN: Crow

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/14/02 4:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Crow1981
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jan-02

Thanks Scott. Ok I've copied, pasted and added to the questions below. Does anyone here use a method of using soft focus of the eyes to see opponents attacks quicker helping to reduce reaction time? I'm just curious. It's mention in the 'book of five rings' when I was skimming through it. It mentions that there are two types of vision. One vision sees the surface and external appearance and the other vison, 'kan' sees the essence of things. I think the logic behind it is that it bypasses the limited conscious mind, so the information provided by the opponent is processed preconsciously. I could be completely wrong. Any thoughts or suggestions? And what about fixing your point of attention behind and hovering above your head, imagining looking from there or something similar? Could it increases your peripheral vison and also create time distortion (perception of time changing for the individual)? I've heard that this helps create a state of relaxed alertness. Has anyone tried this during sparring? Looking forward to comments!!!
1/14/02 10:47 AM
paradigmer
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow! Excellent post/question/thoughts. [Does anyone here use a method of using soft focus of the eyes to see opponents attacks quicker helping to reduce reaction time?] Sport specificity may be a factor here. For example, training in BJJ, I find that my primary representational system is kinesthetic. There is a degree of visual acuity, but the majority of the information is received/edited/coded through tactile reception. Training in Muay Thai or Vale Tudo where striking is a factor, I find that I rely more on visual acuity. Now, having said that, I think there is really something to explore here with this idea of "soft focus." Visually, there is a lot of information to try to keep up with while engaged in a combative or sporting situation. I think it would be almost impossible to maintain a "hard focus" that is, conscious awareness of EVERY bit of visual information available to us. Consider this, we have available to us, an approximate 180 degrees of visual information to process at any given time. To receive, edit and filter ALL of that stimuli would be impossible; if not, at least detrimental to our immediate goals. To quote George Miller, the distinguished Princeton Professor of Psychology and originator of the 7 bit, plus or minus two theory on the span of immediate memory, "There is a clear and definite limit to the accuracy with which we can identify absolutely the magnitude of a unidimensional stimulus variable." The term he coined for this limit was "the span of absolute judgement." Of course, cognitive science is still in it's early stages and the best theories we have on consciousness are still yet but models. We may not completely agree with the specifics of the plus or minus 7 bits theory, but we at least have a useful model to go by. To coin a phrase, "selective sensory reception" may benefit us in certain sportive and combative scenarios. Of course, there will also be situations where non-discriminatory reception will be appropriate. There is also a comparison I want to make with vision and nighttime shooting, but I don't have the time for now. I would definitely like to see the questions and experiences in this thread explored. I think there is a lot of good that will come out of this. This type of discussion and application to training is, as Claude Debussy said, "the space between the notes." Great thread!
1/14/02 10:05 AM
DC8BALL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crow1981, I can offer the results of my experimentation, After reviewing Fisticuffs, I decided to try this during driving using the soft eyes, wide attending vision, I found that I had a more ejoyable and more sucessfull drive. I had an easier time switching lanes got to my destination faster probably because I was playing the "how many cars I can I pass before I get there?" game(lol). I also seemed to have more response-ability. I was able to have more of a feeling of control as opposed to the complacent "waiting on people to let me in" mentality. Mostly just a general overall feeling of control it became an experience with prereflection(Flow). I am going to add this to my DPP(Daily Personal Practice). Another side note just recently I got a ticket for speeding 56 in a 45mph zone. I was taking some movies back to the video store and thinking about all the stuff I had to do the next day(internal focus). I didn't notice the Patrolman until he was right on top of me! I certainly learned alot from the experience I thanked the officer warmly for the expensive education. :) Limit your options, limit your survival. Dani'l Chomycia

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.