UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> HELP! (Win 7 folder permissions problem)

11/22/10 1:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pustak
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, I did something quite dim. I accidentally removed all access permissions to my admin account's desktop from that account. It's the only account I use and loads automatically at Windows start, so right now my computer is booting to a blank screen, since it cannot load the desktop. Starting in safe mode does not help. Is there any way for me to unfuck this situation?
11/22/10 3:14 PM
Ho Kogan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if it'll work, but if you get a command prompt, you can try the following to reset security settings to their defaults:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

Even though it's a blank screen, can you still run Task Manager? Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up Task Manager and then see if you can run Cmd.exe from there. Or explorer.exe.

cacls is another command line program that you can use to modify security settings.
12/1/10 7:06 PM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is also a way to take full ownership ---- somewhat complicated but google should give you an answer if you search hard enough.

12/1/10 7:23 PM
Pustak
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I done fixed it. I forgot that one could run system recovery from the safe-mode menu. That did the trick.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.