UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Enameled Ducth Ovens

11/23/10 8:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/10 8:38 AM

I know there was a thread about these on here somewhere, but I can't find it.<br /><br />Anyway, in June I went out and bought a Lodge enameled dutch oven from Target based on the price, name, and some information from America's Test Kitchen. The pot was nice and I used it pretty frequently - once or twice a week - and always hand-washed it. I figured that it was just as good as a Le Crueset that's 5 times as expensive. <br /><br />Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Last night, my girlfriend pulled it off the shelf to make pasta sauce in and we noticed that there were several bubbles in the enamel on the bottom. I pressed one and the fucking thing popped like a zit scattering little flakes of enamel all over.<br /><br />So, it looks like I'm in the market for an LC dutch oven because Lodge's enameling process is a fucking joke.

Edited to add that I can't spell 'dutch'.
11/23/10 4:32 PM
Bitters
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have one by mario batalli that has been quite good
11/25/10 9:31 PM
manny99
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you knowingly bought a cheap dutch oven, used it quite regularly for an extended period of time, and are now mad because it needs replacing?

Buy the better one you mentioned in your own post and you shouldn't have any problems.
11/28/10 10:51 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks, man.  I've had a Lodge enameled dutch oven for 7-8 years and I know 4 other people who have used them with no problems.  I use it at least once a week and I've had no problems with it.  They rate just as high as Le Creuset.  Sounds like you just got a bum one or weren't cleaning it correctly or something.  You weren't using metal utensils, were you?  That will ruin any enameled product, no matter the brand.  
12/5/10 9:31 PM
Mit
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really want to get one of those.
12/7/10 2:21 AM
ilovetortillas
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

me too!
12/10/10 2:33 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sent pictures to Lodge, they're sending me a new dutch oven.

Good on their customer service.
12/10/10 4:17 PM
alpo

Keep in mind you're generally not supposed to use enameled cast iron past medium heat, especially if it's empty.  The iron will expand and can cause fissures in the enamel which will rust the iron underneath, over time.  

If you want a stainless knob, I've bought a couple of these and they fit perfectly.  

http://www.amazon.com/Creuset-L9403-45-Stainless-Steel-Replacement-Knob/dp/B0014JRN0Q

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.