UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Belting Policy?

11/23/10 2:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Caecus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/10 2:40 PM

Disclaimer: I am not saying this is wrong, or I have more wisdom than whoever the BB was who gave this the ok; I am just seeking the opinion of others.<br />I'm not an expert on belting policy(BJJ) but is it common practice for someone to go to a school, pay a price, and come back with a purple belt and a certificate? Just for a reference, about 8 months prior to this the person (Charlie Cosens) was complaining (after getting beaten in a white belt tournament) about how stupid the gi was and he'd never train in it. Perhaps he has changed his philosophy now, I am just curious as to the input of you folks. For some more insight for you fellas here is his website http://cosensmma.com/index.php <br />Quick insight, all of his tournament wins were in the int. or beg. division.
*Edit, he was not ranked previously, he was a "no-belt"
11/23/10 4:22 PM
StephenL

i'm ok with money for belts, but fuck receiving a certificate.

stephen

11/23/10 4:56 PM
Samuraidog

Not quite sure I understand from your post, but personally I'd be embarrassed to wear a belt that I didn't feel qualified for. To each their own though.

Caecus - Disclaimer: I am not saying this is wrong, or I have more wisdom than whoever the BB was who gave this the ok; I am just seeking the opinion of others.<br />I'm not an expert on belting policy(BJJ) but is it common practice for someone to go to a school, pay a price, and come back with a purple belt and a certificate? Just for a reference, about 8 months prior to this the person (Charlie Cosens) was complaining (after getting beaten in a white belt tournament) about how stupid the gi was and he'd never train in it. Perhaps he has changed his philosophy now, I am just curious as to the input of you folks. For some more insight for you fellas here is his website http://cosensmma.com/index.php <br />Quick insight, all of his tournament wins were in the int. or beg. division.
*Edit, he was not ranked previously, he was a "no-belt"

11/23/10 10:35 PM
Crabnation

No, that's not normal if what you are saying is true. Sadly, I can guess the association who belted him.
11/23/10 11:17 PM
Caecus

Yeah, sorry that post was not too clear and a little in-coherent. Basically a few guys have come back to the area after a "seminar" or some such story and they'd have a purple belt. It wasn't too big of a deal at first because they were nice guys, not "competitive" by any means but they "put their time in" so to speak in the gi, and they got a belt for it, no problem. This particular case though the guy in mention has barely ever trained in the gi. Now I see the other guy at that gym is a 4 stripe purple belt. From my experience 4 stripe purple is pretty serious, and should be pretty dang good. From the other like-ranked people I've rolled with, this guy is no where near that level(I get pretty handily beaten by someone of that level, but not this guy). On top of that, the 4 stripe purple belt is claiming he can give out rank UP to purple. I'm really not trying to be a belt nazi, but, what the heck is up with this? Is it normal?
11/24/10 5:41 AM
Samuraidog

And people complain about the Brazilian's selling out and giving undeserved rank for money?
11/24/10 11:07 AM
SpacemanSpiff

The "belts for sale" monster still haunts the USJA 30 years later.

On the judo mat I've gripped up with black belts that made me think anything from "how the hell did you get that?" "to "oh shit, this is going to hurt. a lot" and every where in between.

Rolling with high BJJ belts on the other hand usually is a very consistant experience. They all know how to tie their own shoes.

If belts in BJJ are going to continue to mean something, those in positions of authority had better get their arms around these types of problems and in a hurry.

11/24/10 11:47 AM
StephenL

why should i care about a bjj belt when i can have the champions belt, in the same weight class, for 8 different michigan promoters?

stephen
12/16/10 1:40 PM
Train Judo

Who cares, BJJ is gay anyway...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.