UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Anybody do BI (Cognos/Crystal)

8/24/11 12:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dabigchet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LoveToChoke - I agree that it can be hard to break out, but if you work for an organization that changes products, you shouldn't have much difficulty learning a new product. I have worked on Holos, Essbase and the MS SSAS OLAP and it is the same principles for each of them. Even with BO universes you just need a decent understanding of multi dimensional modeling. Phone Post

well, OLAP servers are a bit narrower than enterprise BI platforms. a company might replace an OLAP vendor, but once you have a big BI deployment those just don't seem to get replaced. so, there are OLAP consultants who have good across the board knowledge of different products, but i have never seen a BI consultant who was equally deep in 3 different platforms. does this make sense?
8/24/11 5:58 PM
LoveToChoke

Sure. But if you also work for a consulting company then you will be required to know as much as possible about as many products as possible. And they will call you a Guru, even if you have only done a two day course :)

For myself, I started off with Holos, went to another consulting company and learned Olap Services as SSAS was then called, then went to another company where I learnt Essbase, then switched back after a few years to SSAS. The principles are largely the same for all of those products. I did a BO implementation years later with no training, had BO come in and do a QA and they were very happy with the job I had performed.

So I don't think it particularly matters which suite of products one starts off in, the skills are transferable. Although obviously there is a difference between proficiency and expertise. Phone Post
8/24/11 6:01 PM
LoveToChoke

Okay, I just realized I've simply restated your post in a long winded version. sorry. Phone Post
8/24/11 6:34 PM
roundtwo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holos...wow, haven't heard that since it was torpedoed while I was at Crystal. Phone Post
8/24/11 7:59 PM
LoveToChoke

Holos was a really good product. I started using it in 1996. In 2006 a government department here was looking to replace it and put out a tender. Companies like BO, COGNOS etc performed a proof-of-concept to show they could replicate the functionality and improve on it. At the end of the process, the govt department decided the other products could not compete for functionality and got an extension to their Holos licence and support since they were the last Holos site in the world. Phone Post
8/24/11 8:01 PM
LoveToChoke

Theseanster, MDX is difficult. I once heard it called Mind Destroying eXtensions. Unfortunately DAX is even worse but with less functionality. Phone Post
8/24/11 10:10 PM
theseanster
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LoveToChoke -  Theseanster, MDX is difficult. I once heard it called Mind Destroying eXtensions. Unfortunately DAX is even worse but with less functionality. Phone Post

Yeah, even though I can write some very sick SQL that can make people's heads explode, outside of simple MDX statements I feel pretty lost. The process is usually me spelunking in a list of functions, googling the use, then a lot of learning from mistakes. That being said, getting data out of a cube is disgustingly fast and the power for rollup reporting is simply amazing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.