UnderGround Forums

Jen >> It's official...

11/24/10 6:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's official: After many years of hiding out in my Fortress of Solitude, I am going to be returning to teaching the public. I'm going to be teaching BJJ 5 days a week at a new 5000 sq. ft. facility in Sunnyvale, CA. Joining me in this will be my black belt, Seo Perales.

My goal in this venture is to offer high quality instruction, classes that are very affordable to the average person, and have a training atmosphere that is conducive to positive learning for everyone.

For those looking for a definitive system, I'm going to be teaching all my systems and through them, give my students a clear path on how to get from point A to point B in their development. For those students who enjoyed the videos I have put out recently and are looking for such a scientific approach to BJJ, you're going to be able to get it in person.

More details coming soon....
11/24/10 11:56 PM
rmenergy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is awesome!!! Can't wait to check out the new gym when I'm up in your neck of the woods Bolo.
11/24/10 11:58 PM
rmenergy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BTW, what caused the change of heart. I know you were frustrated(tired) of dealing with the public in the past. What is the reason for the return & what do your current students think?
11/25/10 1:21 AM
Bolo

Edited: 11/25/10 1:29 AM
First, I have always enjoyed teaching, however, I really disliked the business and sales part of running a school. Much of what I disliked about dealing with the public tended to be related to that somehow. Now, I was presented an opportunity in which I only need to concern myself with what I enjoyed doing and I don't have to have any concerns with the business and sales side.

Second, I feel that the view of the BJJ community has changed a lot over the years. People seem much more receptive to my views now and the community as a whole has changed a lot.

Well, my current students are looking forward to this because they are going to be able to pay a lot less money and have a lot more classes to take! :)
11/25/10 2:58 PM
rmenergy

Nice to hear you will be able to focus solely on your passion.

I agree with you that the community has been changing. There are people that I work with now(professional people) that are now VERY receptive to the idea of studying BJJ.

I wish you the best in your new endeavor & hope you receive the same amount of satisfaction your students do.
11/28/10 1:28 PM
swiftnhbfighter

Good luck, Bolo! That is good news! What will you guys be charging a month for classes? Glad to see you so motivated again!
11/28/10 10:36 PM
Bolo

The gym is still deciding on exact pricing but I'll make sure it's very affordable. We hope to have classes start by the second week of Dec., so I'll be letting people know really soon. Thanks for the support!
11/30/10 4:29 PM
paw
1315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best of luck! 
12/2/10 6:43 PM
Robin Ashe

That's cool to hear. I really like your ideas and I look forward to seeing them spread.

Any chance this also means you'll start doing instructionals again?
12/2/10 9:50 PM
Bolo

I haven't considered making instructional DVD's again. At the moment, my main focus is to make the BJJ program at this new school successful as well as working on this book that will talk about the science of BJJ through postural alignment principles.
12/3/10 12:52 AM
Robin Ashe

Hey, a book is great too!
12/3/10 2:47 PM
Bolo

I'm going to be teaching Mon. - Thurs. at 7pm and Sat. at 10:30am. The weekday classes are going to be gi and the Sat. class is going to be no gi.
12/3/10 7:23 PM
Bolo

One of my brown belts said he would be willing to head a 6am BJJ class at our new school in Sunnyvale. Obviously getting up & having a class that early is no easy task, so he would only do it if there is a decent number of people interested. If you or anyone you know wants to be part of an early class, e-mail me at mjen@pacbell.net. If there's enough people, I'll start helping him to get the ball rolling on it!
12/4/10 12:07 AM
Bolo

My black belt, Seo, said he up for joining my brown belt for an A.M. class. I hope there are some early birds who are interested in taking advantage of this!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.