UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Best Boxing Instructionals?

11/24/10 8:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I boxed when I was younger and still play around a bit to keep sharp and stay in shape, etc, but was actually thinking about getting serious again and maybe taking a last run at a golden gloves title.

Nothing replaces good coaching, I know, but I've always used instructionals as pre/post training references, so I figure I might drop some coin on a quality boxing set. Just didn't know there were so many to choose from these days.

I was kinda thinking about title boxing's 23 dvd set, Kenny Weldon's first set, Freddie Roach's set(though, I think it's included in the title set), or maybe even the John Brown set if it's worth the money. Anyone have any/all of these sets? Opinions?
11/24/10 11:31 PM
OneScoup

Kenny Weldon

You're welcome.
11/25/10 12:06 AM
Missing Glove Tape

Edited: 11/25/10 12:06 AM
Thanks. I'll probably end up going with the Weldon set simply because it focuses on the basics and has always been highly regarded. I was considering the title and ringside(John Brown) sets because they cover the widest range of topics and have some really good names sharing their knowledge, but I'm actually thinking the information overload will be distracting as opposed to helpful. I mean, I'd rather put my time in the gym then sit home watching instructionals all day! lol
11/25/10 2:40 AM
DevinS
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you don't mind me asking, what's so special about Weldon? I've been hearing a lot of buzz about him.
11/25/10 6:02 AM
DevinS
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm watching some of Weldon's stuff and I don't really understand the "rhythm" thing. To me it just looks like bouncing around. I can't recall a whole lot of fighters that fight like this either. The man has obviously accomplished a lot as a trainer though, so maybe someone can weigh in on it?
11/26/10 11:42 PM
OneScoup

You have to develop a rythm before you can break it. To really learn to box you need to be extremely coordinated when it comes to syncing your feet, head movement and punches. Weldon will teach you that.
12/7/10 11:23 AM
Peckerwood

Don Familton's "Superior Boxing" is super.

12/7/10 9:39 PM
OneScoup

Peckerwood - Don Familton's "Superior Boxing" is super.

That's my #2 choice. Also excellent.
12/7/10 11:00 PM
Missing Glove Tape

^I actually found the Familton set online the other day. Had some issues with the audio quality, but the material covered is excellent. Credit to SBGI.

I'm still gonna pick up the Weldon set though. It's just too cheap not to.
12/29/10 6:02 PM
Marco808

I got Kenny Weldon's "Becoming a Better Boxer" volumes 1-3 for Xmas, and tore thru them. Good stuff. I wish I had had these 10-15 years ago, when I was a kid.

Does anyone have any experience with Christopher Getz's instructionals? I couldn't find any other instructionals on amazon except for his, and am a little reluctant to pay $200 for his set, unless I know they're worth the price. Couldn't find Familton's set anywhere.

I'm planning to use them for myself, but also to teach my kids and nephews when they get a little older.
12/29/10 8:53 PM
OneScoup

Familton was produced by an MMA school/chain called Straight Blast Gym, see their store:

http://www.straightblastgym.com/store.htm

Never heard of Getz's instructionals. If somebody's seen them I'd love to hear a review.
12/29/10 11:23 PM
Marco808

OneScoup - Familton was produced by an MMA school/chain called Straight Blast Gym, see their store:

http://www.straightblastgym.com/store.htm

Never heard of Getz's instructionals. If somebody's seen them I'd love to hear a review.

Cool. Thanks very much. I just ordered it.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's gotten the Getz set, too. A lot of things Weldon taught were similar to how I was taught at my old gym when I was a kid, but there was a lot of things that I had never heard of or tried before, like his evaluation line drills and the rack. Am planning to hit City Mill tomorrow for some lumber and make a rack in my backyard.
12/30/10 2:48 AM
OKMike

Marco808 - I got Kenny Weldon's "Becoming a Better Boxer" volumes 1-3 for Xmas, and tore thru them. Good stuff. I wish I had had these 10-15 years ago, when I was a kid.

Does anyone have any experience with Christopher Getz's instructionals? I couldn't find any other instructionals on amazon except for his, and am a little reluctant to pay $200 for his set, unless I know they're worth the price. Couldn't find Familton's set anywhere.

I have some of Getz's boxing videos. I would not pay $200 for them. They are not worth that, especially since you already have some of Weldon's videos. They have some decent information, but nothing ground breaking.

Go to youtube and look up Freddie Roach's videos he did for Title. It is hard to beat the #1 trainer in boxing.
12/30/10 12:26 PM
Marco808

OKMike - 
Marco808 - I got Kenny Weldon's "Becoming a Better Boxer" volumes 1-3 for Xmas, and tore thru them. Good stuff. I wish I had had these 10-15 years ago, when I was a kid.

I have some of Getz's boxing videos. I would not pay $200 for them. They are not worth that, especially since you already have some of Weldon's videos. They have some decent information, but nothing ground breaking.

Go to youtube and look up Freddie Roach's videos he did for Title. It is hard to beat the #1 trainer in boxing.

Okay thanks. Glad I asked here before buying it for $200.

I'd probably want to buy Roach's instructionals if I knew where to find them, instead of watching his little youtube snippets. I've been getting really interested in the coaching aspect of boxing, and want full sets from the top trainers to get a better picture of how they run things.
12/30/10 2:59 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Edited: 12/30/10 2:59 PM
Here ya go: http://store.titleboxing.com/freddie-roach-dvds.html

I also really like the 3 dvds Russ Anber did for the title boxing set as well. Solid fundamentals and really crisp/clear instruction.
12/30/10 5:37 PM
Marco808

Missing Glove Tape - Here ya go: http://store.titleboxing.com/freddie-roach-dvds.html

I also really like the 3 dvds Russ Anber did for the title boxing set as well. Solid fundamentals and really crisp/clear instruction.
Thanks, I'll check out the Anber DVDs, but am a little iffy on the Roach ones. He's obviously one of the best trainers, but half of his DVDs seem to be about losing weight and crossfit, which I don't give a shit about. Seems like it's tailored more towards the casual boxing fan...
12/30/10 5:45 PM
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stay away from the Roach DVDs. Very basic and short.

He really should sit down and do a more detailed set! But he's kind of busy...
12/30/10 6:20 PM
Marco808

Yeah, it's too bad he's so busy, cos I'd love a detailed, comprehensive boxing set by Roach, from everything to in-ring strategy to little things like breathing techniques and what knuckles he thinks fighters should be punching with. I'm curious if they differ much from how I was taught.

I find it kinda funny that Roach has boxing crossfit DVDs, though =)
12/30/10 6:22 PM
Missing Glove Tape

I can't speak to the other videos but here's the one on crosstraining: http://video.yandex.ru/users/arunas1971/view/515/

12/30/10 10:51 PM
OneScoup

Roach boxing related DVDs, while not the best, are fine because they're cheap. If you pay $10 and get 5 things from it you got your money's worth. If you can't get 5 things from them you aren't paying close enough attention.
12/31/10 12:04 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The John Brown Ringside tapes are good basic stuff. Don Hamilton is ok. Kenny Weldon is the best for my money. Sean O'Grady not so good. The Emile Griffith set might be good but my copy is so bad that I can't actually tell.

Even better than Kenny though is going to a boxing gym (obviously).

Here's an old review of the Kenny Weldon series (the first series).

global-training-report.com/kenny.htm

12/31/10 2:49 AM
OKMike

Marco808 - 
Missing Glove Tape - Here ya go: http://store.titleboxing.com/freddie-roach-dvds.html

Thanks, I'll check out the Anber DVDs, but am a little iffy on the Roach ones. He's obviously one of the best trainers, but half of his DVDs seem to be about losing weight and crossfit, which I don't give a shit about. Seems like it's tailored more towards the casual boxing fan...<br type="_moz" />

I second the Russ Anber videos. Since you are interested in the coaching aspect, Anber has one on working a fighter's corner. Jeff Fenech has some videos with Title that would fit the bill as well. If you know where to look, all the Title videos can be found online.

Yes, Roach has some weight loss and conditioning videos, but he also has how to hit the heavy bag and basic and advanced boxing skill videos.
12/31/10 1:42 PM
Marco808

OKMike - 
Marco808 - 

Thanks, I'll check out the Anber DVDs, but am a little iffy on the Roach ones. He's obviously one of the best trainers, but half of his DVDs seem to be about losing weight and crossfit, which I don't give a shit about. Seems like it's tailored more towards the casual boxing fan...

I second the Russ Anber videos. Since you are interested in the coaching aspect, Anber has one on working a fighter's corner. Jeff Fenech has some videos with Title that would fit the bill as well. If you know where to look, all the Title videos can be found online.

Yes, Roach has some weight loss and conditioning videos, but he also has how to hit the heavy bag and basic and advanced boxing skill videos.
I'll look into the Anber vids for sure.

I don't doubt that there's some good stuff in the Roach videos. But when half of the DVDs in his set are about crosstraining and losing weight and they're only 30 minutes each, it makes me think they're pretty basic and not really what I'm looking for. I've been to boxing gyms and know how to punch. I'm more interested in how  other trainers/gyms teach fundamentals, the drills they use, their philosophies, etc. I'll still probably end up buying one or two of them.

12/31/10 2:20 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Here's some clips of Anber's title videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ-u_jVgQro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM3sDqN8s9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YisGE4HiwMQ

^Like I said, solid fundamentals, crisp/clear instruction, and a relatively good production value.

As well, there are more clips of Anber's videos as well as clips of just about everyone else(including Roach) on the title set. There's even some clips of Don Familton's set.

Speaking of Familton, if you're interested I can post links to his set later on.
12/31/10 2:29 PM
Missing Glove Tape

^Forgot to mention. Anber has another set he did that seems to be pretty good as well. I think you can buy it from titleboxing.com

You can see clips here: http://www.youtube.com/rivalbox

My only gripe is that the production value isn't as good. Since it was filmed in a gym there's a lot of audio echo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.