UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Seth Petruzelli: 'Im a mental midget with the UFC'

11/28/10 6:12 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Pro MMA Now: I’m sorry that it’s under these circumstances that we’re talking, Seth. However, you just confirmed with us you just got off the phone with Joe Silva and you indeed have been released by the UFC. If you don’t mind me asking, what was that conversation like, what was said and did it sound as if they left the door open for you?

Seth Petruzelli:
The conversation was fine, he told me that due to WEC merging with UFC that he had a lot of people to let go and that since my last loss I was one of those people. My name is always on his list he said, so I’m assuming that means win more outside UFC and I”ll be back.

PMN: In the past, often times fighters have gotten released after three losses in a row. I know there’s no set rule or anything. In fact some guys get released after one fight. Did they give you any indication of why now and not one more?

SP: I’m guessing cause he has only a set number of allotted people per weight class he can keep cause of the merger and I guess two losses was enough to seal my fate.

PMN: Only one of your 12 victories have come by decision. You knocked out 10 of the 12 and submitted the other one. You definitely have an exciting style. You have great striking. And you have won almost all your fights outside the UFC. What do you think it is about fighting in the UFC that has been the biggest challenge for you; Is it just the level of competition or is there more to it?

SP: No, it’s mental, it always has been mental. I do fine in the training room with top level guys. I guess I’m a mental midget with the UFC and the pressure it puts on me. Either that or I’m cursed… and I don’t believe in curses ...

... I feel cursed and blessed at the same time. Blessed that i could do all those things when 99% of people can’t. And cursed cause I could never make anything happen when it really mattered in the UFC.

Read entire interview...

11/28/10 6:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShanTheMan
810 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bummer
11/28/10 6:24 PM
jkd4200
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been saying for a long time now... lawlor and petrazooki are guys that belong in lower level (local) shows.

Fighting has to be number one in your life to fight in a show like UFC these days...

Jason Miller is another guys that comes to mind...
11/28/10 6:33 PM
JustPeed
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Seth and ttt for Orlando.

Seth will be back.
11/28/10 6:53 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seems like seth just gasses, then loses. work on that cardio.
11/28/10 6:54 PM
Fake Pie
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Seth but is it possibly just the better competition?
11/28/10 7:24 PM
daniel f
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

someone call tomas rios the silverback just dropped the M word!
11/28/10 7:41 PM
bruceleesspirit
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Seth
11/28/10 7:44 PM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

it's not mental, and it's not rocket science to figure it out. he's simply not a top tier fighter. Period
11/28/10 7:46 PM
BuddyRevell
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder who are the top level guys he does well against in training.
11/28/10 7:52 PM
tempus

Hes delusional if he thinks 99% of people can't do what he does? O_o
11/28/10 7:56 PM
Caleb R
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember thinking that he was not pacing himself well in his last fight. Hopefully he can improve that part of his game and make it back, he's always makes good fights. Phone Post
11/28/10 7:56 PM
Bad Monkey
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tempus - Hes delusional if he thinks 99% of people can't do what he does? O_o

He means sustain a career as a professional athlete.  Can you do it?  Neither can 99% of the population, Jackwad.
11/28/10 7:57 PM
Caleb R
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of know it alls on this site! Phone Post
11/28/10 8:02 PM
King Baer
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seth is the man.. he belongs in the UFC for sure. Bullshit that you can be released after only one poor performance. But that's the nature of the company I guess so you can only take it in stride and do the best you can.
11/28/10 8:07 PM
Fake Pie

King Baer - Seth is the man.. he belongs in the UFC for sure. Bullshit that you can be released after only one poor performance. But that's the nature of the company I guess so you can only take it in stride and do the best you can.

Wat?
11/28/10 8:08 PM
Fake Pie

Loss Karlos Vemola TKO (Punches and Elbows) UFC 122 - Marquardt vs. Okami 11/13/2010 1 3:46
 Loss Ricardo Romero Submission (Straight Armbar) UFC 116 - Lesnar vs. Carwin 7/3/2010 2 3:05
11/28/10 9:01 PM
newbyfan

jkd4200 - I have been saying for a long time now... lawlor and petrazooki are guys that belong in lower level (local) shows.

Fighting has to be number one in your life to fight in a show like UFC these days...

Jason Miller is another guys that comes to mind...

i havent read past this yet but guessing this comment may make this thread intetresting
11/28/10 9:31 PM
hermanitor

Seth seems like a nice guy, but he has had a lot of bad performances in the UFC. Come to think of it, pretty much all of them....
11/28/10 9:42 PM
newbyfan

Yeah seemed like a personal thing. As Lawlor has a few huge wins.
11/28/10 10:10 PM
Poindexter
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he can work his way back.
11/28/10 11:59 PM
jkd4200

newbyfan - Yeah seemed like a personal thing. As Lawlor has a few huge wins.

Petrazeeki and Lawler are the same people to me.

annoying as shit... I would hate to show someone what MMA is all about, and have these guys be the first people they see.

Jason Miller comes to mind.
11/29/10 12:41 AM
molsonmuscle360
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cuts like this is why I think if the UFC wants to really keep the hearts and minds of these mid level fighters they like to bring up to the big show they need some kind of feeder league. I think if they promote it and have all the cards for it be Spike or Versus and have the fights in the smaller market cities. Have the UFC cards in cities like Toronto, New York, Vegas, LA etc and have the feeder league cards in places like Edmonton, Columbus, Memphis and Winnipeg.

This would allow the UFC to hold a lot of fighters under contract. And give them a place to make money of exciting fighters when they go on tough runs (J Mac, Petruzilli, Cote)
11/29/10 1:11 AM
Jweinberg
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nervous energy will drain you very quickly -the mental game of competing is just as important as diet and cardio- Phone Post
11/29/10 10:15 AM
soldierdad5417

Justinmacd - Just goes to show how incredible guys like Fedor, GSP, Anderson, etc. are.

To consistently win the big fights is not just about being the better athlete, mental toughness is massive.

That actually has nothing to do with Seth being an awesome fighter and the fact that he's been cut from the UFC. What the fuck is wrong with the people on here lately?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.