UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> 5 Ways of Attack--How Applicable to MMA?

11/28/10 11:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoundforPound
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In your opinion is this an effective way to categorize attacks in mixed martial arts? Or is it incomplete and more suitable just for striking/standup arts?
11/30/10 3:54 AM
Robin Ashe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIRC, those methods were in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and as such I'd imagine for Bruce they were a working hypothesis rather than something absolute. Do they cover everything for standup arts even?
11/30/10 10:10 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
They cover everything for standup arts, groundwork, and any mix of the two.

Were they a final draft? Probably not. They are also pretty much entirely stolen from fencing. BUT they still work awfully well as a classification system.
12/15/10 7:08 PM
WidespreadPanic

The five ways of attack are not a blueprint for fighting. They're just one way to provide a framework for helping to analyze what you're doing - an overlay, as it were.

If your favorite combo is a leg kick, jab and cross, look at it for the presence of faking and set ups and timing, break it down, make it more effective and then put it back together again. 

Likewise from a defensive point of view you can analyze an attack coming at you in terms of the five angles (or ways) of attack - say in a post fight video.

You can watch a video of your favorite fighter and 'structure' it according to the five angles of attack to help you understand why it was (or was not) effective. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes less helpful. Maybe it succeeds more by timing and counter fighting.

What you're trying to do is reduce the 'chaos' of an attack by having a conceptual framework, but is this what you do in 'real time'? Probably not. Notice what you "see" when an attack succeeds, and figure out ways to lessen the chaos. One great method is to use a takedown - it puts the opponent (hopefully) on the ground and you on top and the chaos is greatly reduced because (for the untrained attacker) it reduces his options.

The key is to have fast seeing, be able to quickly structure an attack and use the right methods to counter or neutralize. The best method is to move out of range (either jam or run, for example). If you jam you are out of range for a long attack. If you run, a medium attack won't reach you. (by 'run' I mean evade, etc.).

$0.02
12/16/10 4:14 PM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKDU--MMA For The Street, BJJ, Kali, President
I use the five ways of attack to help Chris Leben with his approach to MMA in all the ranges. He has made great progress since I have had him implement a more complete approach.
12/17/10 10:17 AM
WidespreadPanic

twinkletoesCT - They cover everything for standup arts, groundwork, and any mix of the two.

Were they a final draft? Probably not. They are also pretty much entirely stolen from fencing. BUT they still work awfully well as a classification system.
I have been searching for the source of the 5 'angles' of attack (not really angles, per se), and have not been successful. I've looked in fencing books and other sources. In addition, on one message, I found a few others which extend the list, but I can't find that post ATM. Probably based them on the addition of grappling.

If you have the source of those, I'd like to read about it.

12/17/10 4:13 PM
PoundforPound
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know about any 5 angles of attack, but the 5 Ways of Attack are:

1. Simple Angular Attack
2. Attack By Combinations
3. Attack By Drawing
4. Progressive Indirect Attack
5. Hand Immobilization Attack
12/17/10 5:17 PM
Radd

Trivia: Many Bruce Lee friends and students never heard of the five ways of attack until the publication of the Tao. Bruce never made much mention of a lot of his thoughts and ponderings publicly.
12/18/10 9:39 AM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
Here's one version of it, over the years, from fencing.  This is a slightly different idea, expressed in this photo, than the 5, but it has some overlap:

In this picture, each type of attack is countered by the next one (moving clockwise).  A simple attack is defeated by a parry-riposte.  A parry-riposte is defeated by a compound attack (feint-attack).  You get the idea.
12/18/10 4:43 PM
PoundforPound

That's pretty cool, Twinkletoes. Thanks for posting it.
12/28/10 1:08 PM
Stickgrappler
1494 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5 "Angles" of Attack as in FMA's "cinco teros"?

1 is a caveman, one side of the "X"
2 is the opposite, backhand diagonal down, other side of the "X"

3 is horizontal slash to left
4 is opposite, backhand horizontal slash to right aka dodger
5 is thrust forward
1/8/11 3:31 AM
K-Dub-"T"

ABD & ABC are quite common.

SAA is a little too common that it should be... imo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.