UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Securing Rights to Music

11/29/10 4:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mige
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when I write, I usually listen to a shit ton of music that is similar in tone to the story I'm trying to tell. I have recently had some interest from someone wanting to make one of my scripts and I would love to have one of the songs I was listening to included in the final version (the song is written into the script)if it ever gets made. The type of music is not anything like Eminem, but the singer has been successful (not with these songs). Kind of a vague question, but I'm wondering how they go about landing songs. Anyone have insight?

I know the producer should know how to do this, I am asking out of curiousity. I think the rights would break this guy's budget.
12/5/10 9:40 AM
BarkLikeADog
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes you can save a little &/or expedite the process if you personally know someone in the band or otherwise part of their team. Outside of that, you'll need to contact the label's copyright clearance department & negotiate a deal. Expect to play hard or go home.
12/5/10 10:06 AM
BarkLikeADog
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couple obvious side notes:

-If you are working for or distributed by one of the major media corporations, it's much easier to get anything from any of the subsidiary labels.

-Do not shoot to or cut around something that you do not own yet; it takes away your all your ability to negotiate as it forces you to take whatever offer they give.

-Try to leave yourself with as many options as possible. If you go to a label with a request like "I was thinking about something like YOUR ARTIST A or YOUR ARTIST B, maybe even SOME COMPETITOR'S ARTIST C, something with that vibe, what can you do for me?" it basically neuters the negotiation & puts them to work looking for the best matchup for the both of you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.