UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Strikeforce not interested in Harris

11/30/10 12:30 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1053 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

"I talked to my guys about it, actually, they talked to me about it," Coker said of signing Harris. "I watched the fight [against Falcao], I didn't know how to judge it. Then they told me about his background and his past and things you are telling me now, that this guy is a tremendous athlete (who) has a ton of potential and just had bad showing or fought very cautious to try and win the fight.

"The only thing right now is we are really committed to the fighters we have under contract now and I want to make sure these guys get in the mix two or three next year. That doesn't mean we can't revisit with him, but for right now, I would say that I want to take care of the roster we currently have."

read entire article...

11/30/10 12:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good, let guys like Shine and MFC sign the UFC rejects, if SF wants to compete they need to develop their own stars with the exceptions here and there like Diaz and Semtex.
11/30/10 12:41 PM
The Destroyer88

So you won't sign a guy that has won 10 of his last 11 fights but you'll make more than an effort to sign these guys like Lashley, Batista, and Walker?

And all because of one fight? Despite him coming off a highlight reel slam KO. A 3-1 UFC fighter can't find a job even in bush league Strikeforce?
11/30/10 12:47 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
 Read between the lines, this is the key phrase:

"The only thing right now is we are really committed to the fighters we have under contract now and I want to make sure these guys get in the mix two or three next year. "

Meaning they can't get the guys they currently have under contract enough fights, let alone sign new talent.
11/30/10 12:47 PM
jjj2121

The Destroyer88 - So you won't sign a guy that has won 10 of his last 11 fights but you'll make more than an effort to sign these guys like Lashley, Batista, and Walker?

And all because of one fight? Despite him coming off a highlight reel slam KO. A 3-1 UFC fighter can't find a job even in bush league Strikeforce?

Lashley-Batista-Walker = proven draws that will bring eyeballs.
Gerald Harris - not so much.

I don't think they want to be known as the org who picks up all of the UFC scraps.  They are pretty careful about who they add.  There is a reason someone like Efrain Escudero is in Shine and not Strikeforce, and it's not because Shine pays more or offers more exposure.
11/30/10 12:55 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herring In A Fur Coat -  Read between the lines, this is the key phrase:

"The only thing right now is we are really committed to the fighters we have under contract now and I want to make sure these guys get in the mix two or three next year. "

Meaning they can't get the guys they currently have under contract enough fights, let alone sign new talent.
Pretty much what I was going to post, but better written.
11/30/10 1:14 PM
Jefe de Jefes
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good for them. Now we can get that Lashley - Walker match we have been dying for.
11/30/10 1:32 PM
Peckerwood

It's very, very well known that Strikeforce can't keep guys busy. Ton's of fighters have bitched about it. No need to add more to the mix...
11/30/10 2:27 PM
lookoutawhale
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can see why Coker would be hesitant too. Anytime someone from UFC becomes a champion in strikeforce, Dana will always call them a 2nd rate organization because they got kicked out of UFC and so their champion is just a UFC washouts.

Dana hates it when you have guys like Fedor where doing MMA math isnt good enough to convince people that UFC has the best out there. Strikeforce needs to build its own stars so Dana cant call them burnouts.

11/30/10 2:51 PM
The Destroyer88

I call BS. I think it's just Coker trying to be polite about saying they aren't interested in Harris. They will have done 15 shows by the end of the year, nine less than the UFC. And the UFC has WAAAAAAAAAAY more fighters under contract and still find a way to get most of their guys 2-3 fights a year. Plus you add in the fact that they have a bunch of heavyweights who don't want to fight or don't want to fight who they should be fighting. Their main stars like Gina and Cung aren't active. Frank Shamrock is retired. They can't put together Mayhem vs. Diaz. Shields is gone. M-1 wants to renegotiate their contract every other week to get a guy that rarely fights more money. Then Strikeforce is more interested in doing a third fight between Gilbert and Josh or a second meaningless fight with Gilbert and Aoki, instead of doing Gilbert vs. Alvarez. And then your three best draws are two pro wrasslers(one who looked terrible in his last fight and the other being over 40 with no fights and no training before this year) and a almost 49 year old former football player.

And your trying to tell me that you aren't interested in Gerald Harris who was 3-1 in the UFC and who won 10 of his last 11 fights because of your "stacked" roster. Right.....
11/30/10 3:00 PM
jjj2121

The Destroyer88 - 

I call BS. I think it's just Coker trying to be polite about saying they aren't interested in Harris. They will have done 15 shows by the end of the year, nine less than the UFC. And the UFC has WAAAAAAAAAAY more fighters under contract and still find a way to get most of their guys 2-3 fights a year. Plus you add in the fact that they have a bunch of heavyweights who don't want to fight or don't want to fight who they should be fighting. Their main stars like Gina and Cung aren't active. Frank Shamrock is retired. They can't put together Mayhem vs. Diaz. Shields is gone. M-1 wants to renegotiate their contract every other week to get a guy that rarely fights more money. Then Strikeforce is more interested in doing a third fight between Gilbert and Josh or a second meaningless fight with Gilbert and Aoki, instead of doing Gilbert vs. Alvarez. And then your three best draws are two pro wrasslers(one who looked terrible in his last fight and the other being over 40 with no fights and no training before this year) and a almost 49 year old former football player.

And your trying to tell me that you aren't interested in Gerald Harris who was 3-1 in the UFC and who won 10 of his last 11 fights because of your "stacked" roster. Right.....
They don't want to be known as the org that signs UFC castoffs.  Think of how many UFC fighters cut in the last couple of years have popped up in SF...Werdum, Daley, Gurgel, there aren't a ton of them.

11/30/10 3:08 PM
The Destroyer88

jjj2121 - 
The Destroyer88 - 

They don't want to be known as the org that signs UFC castoffs.  Think of how many UFC fighters cut in the last couple of years have popped up in SF...Werdum, Daley, Gurgel, there aren't a ton of them.

And what is wrong about signing UFC cast offs? They aren't a major MMA promotion so they need to stop trying to be one and stop having standards and rules about how many former UFC fighters they can have under contract at one time. You don't pass up on signing a 3-1 UFC fighter who could jump in their middleweight division instantly and be considered a cotender.
11/30/10 3:14 PM
Jack Skellington
729 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he should go to Bellator

get him back on tv ASAP & he'd do well
11/30/10 3:15 PM
jjj2121

They are a major promotion, and clearly they want to develop their own stars.  I'm not saying they should or shouldn't sign Harris, but that is their strategy.  They don't want to be the org with failed UFC fighters all over the roster.
11/30/10 3:17 PM
MMAsurvival

jjj2121 - 
The Destroyer88 - 

Your memory is failing you then. Strikeforce's roster is mostly made up of former UFC fighters.
Werdum
Josh Barnett
Arlovski
Dan Henderson
Babalu Sobral
Mike Kyle
Antwain Britt-Made it into TUF house, but was injured
Randleman
Mayhem Miller
Robbie Lawler
Matt Lindland
Trevor Prangley
Scott Smith
Benji Radach
Nick Diaz
Daley
Joe Riggs
Paul Bradley-TUF
Josh Thomson
Gurgel
11/30/10 3:18 PM
Golden Boy
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is one of the champs in Sharkfights. They pay the former UFC guys pretty good.
11/30/10 3:23 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo - I think once Harris has that back injury sorted out they may well sign him, but while he has those back issues and is unable to stand properly and has to lean awkwardly to one side during fights it would be silly to sign him up as he is simply too vunerable and this stage, let the guy get healed up then they can talk.
Everyone seems to be forgetting this point...
11/30/10 3:24 PM
jjj2121

MMAsurvival - 
jjj2121 - 
The Destroyer88 - 

Your memory is failing you then. Strikeforce's roster is mostly made up of former UFC fighters.
Werdum

Babalu Sobral

Daley

Gurgel

Edited for guys SF added in the last year or two and were CUT by the UFC.  Obviously they aren't going to not add a guy like Josh Thomson or Josh Barnett just because they fought in the UFC years ago.  They are avoiding becoming  the direct landing place for guys cut by the UFC.  Even someone like Daley got a couple wins before SF gave him a whiff.
11/30/10 3:48 PM
Unseen
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 -  They are a major promotion, and clearly they want to develop their own stars.  I'm not saying they should or shouldn't sign Harris, but that is their strategy.  They don't want to be the org with failed UFC fighters all over the roster.

Also this tactic can help SF sign better up and comers in the future.  The UFC capatalizes on fighters who all think they are going to be champs.  Well all of them can't be.  But SF is always a backup plan incase you get cut from the UFC.  Well what if SF says we're not going to be your backup plan?  Sign with us or the UFC but once you make your choice that's it. 

For guys with crazy talent like Anderson Silva or fighter/celebs like Lensvar the UFC is a no brainer.  But for guys like Harris SF has an easier path to a belt, you can fight outside of the promotion, they don't mess with you sponsors and they don't cut fighters unless they really deserve it.
11/30/10 3:53 PM
nni
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ender852 -  It sounds like Strikeforce is having money troubles if they can't hire any more talent. Still nothing but crickets on a new Fedor contract or CBS TV deal.

The point. You missed it.
11/30/10 4:41 PM
soldierdad5417

That's funny, the UFC doesn't want him either.
11/30/10 6:05 PM
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I must be missing the hype about Gereld Harris... before he was cut noboddy gave a rats ass about him beside a select few.
11/30/10 6:12 PM
jjj2121

NHB USA -  I must be missing the hype about Gereld Harris... before he was cut noboddy gave a rats ass about him beside a select few.

A couple nice wins against borderline UFC fighters...I don't get the hype either.  He got straight clowned by a guy he was supposed to beat and was armbarred by 0-0 kickboxer Amir Sadollah on TUF.
11/30/10 6:15 PM
JimmersonzGlove
478 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAsurvival - 
jjj2121 - 
The Destroyer88 - 

Werdum
Josh Barnett
Arlovski
Dan Henderson
Babalu Sobral
Mike Kyle
Antwain Britt-Made it into TUF house, but was injured
Randleman
Mayhem Miller
Robbie Lawler
Matt Lindland
Trevor Prangley
Scott Smith
Benji Radach
Nick Diaz
Daley
Joe Riggs
Paul Bradley-TUF
Josh Thomson
Gurgel

UFC HW Champ is Strikeforce veteran Cain Velasquez
11/30/10 6:15 PM
Gullivers Travels
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They just know it will look bad if Harris comes in and does extremely well in the division.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.