UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Your favorite throw?

11/30/10 7:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
quijote
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am wondering what everyone's favorite throw is and what their little detail/trick is that makes so good. A detail/trick that most other people don't do, or better yet don't know about.

11/30/10 8:30 PM
Robin Ashe

Tani otoshi, as soon as they turn for a hip or shoulder throw I sink into it. Pretty reliable against fresh opponents, always reliable against tired ones. I think the only thing I really do differently is use it as a counter rather than an attack, and it seems most people don't do that, otherwise I wouldn't have so much success with it. There isn't really a detail or trick to it.
11/30/10 10:54 PM
leothelion

Frankly, any throw that works...the throw that I am most often able to hit is a Harai Goshi where I essentially clothesline my opponent...My judo is not pretty...but it can be very effective...
12/1/10 11:01 AM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At our level most of us do not know/developed "tricks". World Class players on the other hand have developed "tricks" that have allowed them to be successful. My favorite is uchimata. I try this throw early on with the idea of doing saesae to the opposite side ( lapel hand) later on in the match to score yuko/wazari. Usually works most of the time for a score.
12/1/10 11:25 AM
khd29

Not really a throw but DeAshi Barai. Foot sweeps are so difficult but the rare times I get it, esp for ippon, it feels good.
12/1/10 11:37 AM
quijote

^^khd29, what is it that makes it a special sweep for you, is it a cool detail/trick or it just clicks for you?

For me, I really like Hizagaruma, it works well for me because I like to set it up with kosotogari to create movement to my right side and then go for hiza. Not really a trick or detail but a combo that works well for me. For sure my highest percentage ippon and pretty much the only thing that I can get black belts with.
12/1/10 12:12 PM
khd29

I never really thought about a trick. I 'feel' the opponents especially from the grip. Most of my training partners are bigger than me in height and weight, I think they want to toss me in the air and they forget about the little stuff. Just a guess.

12/1/10 11:25 PM
nowaydo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uranage
12/2/10 7:27 AM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quijote: good "trick" Mine is similar where I pull the opponent in a circle to my (right)lapel grip side, attempt a foot sweep on the trailing leg(opponents right leg)then do a quick saesae on the opponents forward left leg with my right leg. It has to be a quick move (1/2) since his sleeve hand can counter and grab my right leg.
12/2/10 2:52 PM
Missing Glove Tape

judoblackbelt - At our level most of us do not know/developed "tricks".

Agreed. Even though I've been in judo for years there's still nothing I know about the art that is not common knowledge.

Nevertheless it's hard to narrow down a favorite throw. In shiai I'm primarily a harai-goshi/soto-makikomi player, but even so I've always enjoyed ashi-waza and sutemi-waza. Okuriashi-harai and sumi-gaeshi are, imo, two of those most beautiful throws in judo and they remain throws I will continue trying to master as long as I stay in judo.
12/2/10 6:34 PM
judoblackbelt

Okuri ashi harai where you sweep both legs can be done in randori by pulling the opponent in a small circle with your lapel grip hand and and pushing into him with your sleeve grip hand and sweeping both legs in the direction of the circle movement. practice this setup/throw.Sumi Gaeshi is easier learned from opposite stances (rt vs lft or lft vs rt) and from a cross grip of the sleeve. One of the most spectacular throws I have witnessed at an A level event is tomenage. The setup for this (right stance vs right stance)is a "fake" kouchi gari to the sleeve grip side (kick the leg out), fall down at a right angle to the opponent with your left leg on the hip and pull the opponent down with your hands and push up with your (left)leg.
12/2/10 7:51 PM
judoinmotion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tomenage. The setup for this (right stance vs right stance)is a "fake" kouchi gari to the sleeve grip side (kick the leg out), fall down at a right angle to the opponent with your left leg on the hip and pull the opponent down with your hands and push up with your (left)leg.

Using my right leg only, I like to push hard for a fake o uchi followed up with a kouchi, depending on the angle, I can go for a tomoe or a modified yoko tomoe. I use the same set up for one knee drop seoi.
12/3/10 7:13 AM
judoblackbelt

judoinmotion- both use kouchi as the main set up. And what I described is like you said more of a yoko tomoe nage. The tecknique I described I learned from a 2001 world judo champion from 6 months of training with him.
12/3/10 11:01 AM
judoinmotion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - judoinmotion- both use kouchi as the main set up. And what I described is like you said more of a yoko tomoe nage. The tecknique I described I learned from a 2001 world judo champion from 6 months of training with him.

It is a great combo! Hard to defend when Tori does it firm and fast.
12/3/10 11:03 AM
Empire
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaiMai DarLing
12/3/10 5:52 PM
TBoy2
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uchimata baby!

Ouchi Gari to Uchimata or vice versa.

12/4/10 6:38 AM
judoblackbelt

I was randoring with a similar skilled opponent last night, competition fighting. And he was catching me with the combination ouchi gari- Osoto. I fight from a left stance and he fights from a right stance. This was very effective against me. He stiff arms me a lot and this negates my throws. So I have to grip fight to prevent/break his lapel grip. Another perspective on what works against you.
12/5/10 3:44 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so... you think there are "tricks" to a technique that other people do not know about???? news to me.

12/5/10 12:25 PM
quijote

ya I do. In every sport I have ever done in my life, you can take the simpliest maneuver/technique and the best person on the team how they are so successful at it and he will tell what he does to make it the best on the team. Whether its emphazing a certain movement, adding a movement not normal, or leaving out a movement that is basic mechanics.
It is the little things that sets everone apart. 
12/5/10 9:35 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tai Otoshi. Not enough people drop into the fit in the tsukuri and have the "spring" when it's time to kake. 
12/5/10 11:11 PM
quijote

Bull_in_chinashop -  Tai Otoshi. Not enough people drop into the fit in the tsukuri and have the "spring" when it's time to kake. 

I really enjoy pulling of a Tai Otoshi. I can't wait until it is good enough to be a go to move.
12/6/10 1:34 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as a left forawrd guy, the key for me was developing a very good ouchi gari, ouchi is my judo equivelant of a boxer's jab, i can go hard as a single attack or use it as a setup in about 6 other throws. (uchimata, harai, taio, osoto, kouchi, hane, o goshi, seio etc..
12/6/10 10:41 AM
quijote

I'll try that type of approach. I like the versatility that one move can create.
12/7/10 6:31 AM
judoblackbelt

To Bull in a china shop- Is ouchi your main setup if you fight another lefty? I like attacking the lead leg (left)with kouchi gari/kosoto gari/saesae to the sleeve grip (right)side first. I do not try ouchi gari ( or I am not good at) for like stances ( rt vs rt or lf vs lf). Thanks,
12/7/10 10:46 AM
Bull_in_chinashop

Not typically. vs. another lefty I like kouchi (set up with hard backstep) into o soto gari or a sasae, which seems to get lefties to square their feet up a little more and immediately into another attack.

chain attacks.. that's the key to real judo imho. it's never the first attack, it;s the 2nd, 3rd etc.  The first attack just gets them moving.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.