UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Arnis vs Taekwondo????

12/1/10 8:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
eskrima
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJtuXHGJT84

what the hell?!
12/2/10 9:16 AM
Willybone
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Philippines seem like a magically crazy place.

Pretty solid effort on the TKD guy's part.
12/2/10 4:39 PM
Missing Glove Tape

That was awesome. But no fucking way should the arnisador be wearing protection. I mean, he's the one holding the fucking WEAPON!! lol
12/26/10 7:24 PM
phauna

The stick guy can only seem to get off one strike before the other closes with him. If he was aiming for the head it would be a different story, I suppose. It would really help the TKDer if he didn't have to go in and out and just enter once, clinch and ground.

So if you can weather one shot on the way in, you're good. This supports my own half-arsed stick sparring. TKDer got a hold of him once but didn't know what to do after. The stick guy was retreating very linearly which didn't help him.
1/2/11 6:06 AM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 01/02/11 6:07 AM
IMO, the real value of having a 'stick' in your hand in a sudden confrontation is NOT as a club - it's as a keep-away - you put the stick out - tip between you and the perp (but do it suddenly and deceptively) and he runs into it. Brace the punyo with your other hand and even stick your butt out (like a combat pistolcraft position).

In the time it takes to raise or chamber the stick, the opponent is on top of you. (same deal with a walking cane).

"Position (here: distance) before submission" (technique).

Then, when he's 'bounced off' of your 'stick teep', you can chamber and strike.

Assuming an aggressive non-fighter, unarmed, etc. for simplicity sake. Even if the perp has a knife - if you have a 36" stick he can't reach you. Note, I'm not talking about leaving the stick waving in the breeze - hit has to be a dynamic 'teep' motion, then you deploy other weapons, move, etc.

$0.02

1/2/11 8:13 AM
Missing Glove Tape

^I agree.

Robert Paturel shows some similar defenses in his canne video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV-59EwzIMQ

Badguy can't hurt you if he can't cover the distance through no man's land. Pop some holes in their belly, maybe crack some ribs, and gtfo!
1/3/11 10:18 PM
Roger AK47

Man. That is some bullshit fucking non-realistic crap.
3/22/11 4:11 PM
HULC
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It depends what type of stick it is. If it was heavier, or weighted towards the end (like a baton or even a hammer) then it would hit with a hell of a lot more force than a than a padded rattan stick.
8/3/12 11:59 PM
supersaiyan

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.