UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> New guitar time-wat to get?

12/1/10 11:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had my mexi strat for a few months and I have played the hell out of it.  Although it needs some upgrades, it is an ok guitar.  But I need more that 21 frets and certainly better pickups.

So I have a student that is going to buy my next guitar in exchange for lessons( which I don't even do private lessons so this is the only way he could get them out of me.lol)

I do have a bit of a budget. but here are the ones I am thinking about

Ibanez S series prestige

Charvel So CAl

Sterling jp50( cheaper but could put pick ups in and then I could get a good amp too)

Orville by Gibson Les Paul( kind of heavy but I want something that iss versitile)

American Strat-  Probably with two humbuckers,.  I really don't like/don't need a middle pick up

Help me decide.I implore you
12/1/10 12:50 PM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone?
12/2/10 12:18 AM
DonkeyKick215

Charvel So CAl

12/2/10 8:36 AM
JasonKeaton

You play one?  I heard a demo of one and may check it out.  The pickups are the ones I want already in it, stock
12/10/10 1:22 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/10 1:30 PM
 Buy this:

One of a kind Rex Guitarworks Koa Special.

24.75 " scale(like most Gibsons) , 24 frets on a quilted Koa neck sporting a Pao Ferro fingerboard.

A one piece solid Hawaiian Koa body, aged 20 years and hand carved by yours truly. Tone Pros lightweight wraparound bridge with locking studs. Gotoh staggered height tuners(no need for string trees).

Electronics are Seymour Duncan pickups(Jazz neck position, Production Floor Custom SH-55(slightly modified Seth Lover model)bridge position) master volume, three way pickup selector, and Stellar Tone ToneStyler control(16-position tone control).

For $1695.00 I will include a Gator case and set up the guitar for your strings and playing style.

Just for comparison, if you were to find a one piece Koa body on Warmoth.com it would be $1000 by itself with a clear finish.

PS this guitar is LIGHT. All up it weighs 6.5 lbs.

If you favor a certain pickup I can change them.

Think about it.

12/10/10 1:28 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ebony control cover
You can see the awesome quilted grain of the neck here.
Salvaged ivory nut(legal, purchased from a cutlery maker in the 1970s), gold leaf logo with pinstripe highlight. You can also see the staggered post height on the tuners.
12/13/10 3:23 PM
Racer X

up
12/16/10 12:18 AM
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

very nice rex
12/17/10 11:33 AM
DonkeyKick215

Much better than the so cal, espicially with the hardtail
12/19/10 11:54 AM
Racer X

DonkeyKick215 - Much better than the so cal, espicially with the hardtail
It's also one of a kind and will remain so.

It's the latest in my MONOBLOCK series, the fourth,actually.

All the MONOBLOCKs have one piece bodies. No glue joints means unimpaired resonance through the grain of the body. How much difference does it make? I don't know, but it looks cool as hell! ;)

12/19/10 11:56 AM
Racer X

Another MONOBLOCK:

12/19/10 11:58 AM
Racer X

And one more:

12/19/10 12:17 PM
DonkeyKick215

nice tele
1/31/11 5:15 PM
Rawbass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice guitars Racer X. Post more when you make them!
1/31/11 11:29 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

those are baddazz Racer
2/2/11 5:28 PM
Racer X

Hey, Shootozen! Your guitar is just about done,buddy. I had to set all the frets with cyanoacrylate glue to keep them from shifting around while leveling. The result is going to be just what we want, level solid frets.

I'll let you know when I'm shipping it. Next few days for sure.
2/3/11 10:55 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Racer,...wow, really? sliding all over huh?...can't believe that- either I got what I paid for or there is some terrible QC at ESP...oh well, I completely trust your awesome work...thanks! and let me know-

2/4/11 11:31 AM
Racer X

Truth is I'm doing the same operation on another ESP/LTD, a George Lynch Tiger.

Loose frets are pretty common. Too tight and the neck back bows, something that these companies can't afford happening too often.
2/8/11 2:41 PM
JasonKeaton

I actually love that flame top guitar.  I would be interested if I can get a thin, flat neck,  two humbuckers, and a piezo in one.
2/9/11 11:43 AM
Racer X

JasonKeaton -  I actually love that flame top guitar.  I would be interested if I can get a thin, flat neck,  two humbuckers, and a piezo in one.

No problem.
Hell, if you want the peizo system could have a synth output as well.

Shootozen, to be clear, they are not "sliding". Some frets were bowed up in the center and others at the ends. The slots aren't tight enough to keep them well seated, so I bleed adhesive under them and clamp them in place while the glue cures.

Most importantly, I'm finishing your guitar today and shipping it ASAP. I'll give you a call later today.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.