UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Best 3.5 or Under Folding Knife for SD? Under $100

12/5/10 4:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DanTheWolfman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thinking Clip Carry, I tend to prefer half serrated blades if possible-think it is easier to justify during a car stop to cops or later in court. However, I also like Tanto Points. I prefer blades that could be used for stabbing, not just curved slashers, though interested in one of those for off hand carry if it opens on the clothes.

What knives open automatically when you whip them out of the pocket? Saw Crafty had a curved folder that hooked on his jeans and opened all the way on the draw, and that would make a pretty nice off hand/live hand left front pocket carry knife.

I'm used to carrying Blade Down folders with a clip in the front pocket, though many, many yrs ago carried a Spyder Co folder in the back butt pocket too.

Please give recommendations and where you might get it online. Thanks
12/5/10 4:53 AM
DanTheWolfman

Live in Cali, assume most cities laws are under 3.5 or under 3
12/5/10 5:13 AM
DanTheWolfman

Looks like all of LA may have a 3" length limit
12/5/10 8:44 AM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spyderco waved delica. 2-7/8" blade. The wave hook works great for RGEI work as in this video (not a delica, but the knife is setup pretty similar and the draw is the exact same): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-p4YmUJ4PA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sk7B-XXCJY

runs about $70

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SP11PGYW
12/7/10 5:27 AM
Willybone
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huge fan of the CRKT M16 series.

It's perfect, IMO.
Lightweight, fits in the pocket well, strong as heck, innovative positive locking system, and the flipper makes it a breeze to open fast. It's also small and thin enough that people don't get freaked out when I pull it out like some of my larger knives.
$50 from them.
But, you can also get it at Walmart for twenty something bucks.
12/8/10 3:56 AM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never seen a M16 for under $50. Most of them have a longer blade than the OP is looking for though (4").

While they are nice utility knives, I've never been a fan of the liner locking system they use for a fighting/self defense knife, I've seen them fail too many times, not just CRKT, but pretty much every knife company that uses a liner lock. I still have scars on my hand from a benchmade with a liner lock that failed while I was doing some cut testing.

Honestly, I've never seen a folding knife that opened as fast as one with the Emerson Wave hook. It's almost literally as fast as a fixed blade knife. I say almost because you have to adjust the grip once it's open, but as the video above shows, you can make that a part of your draw.
12/8/10 10:56 AM
Willybone
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/10 8:34 PM
Skpotamus - I've never seen a M16 for under $50. ... longer blade than 4"...I've never been a fan of the liner locking system they use for a fighting/self defense knife
You may want to revisit the series. First, the price has dropped significantly (I paid $60 for my first one). The suggested retail of the M16 is now $50, and Walmart sells it for much less than that. The M21 series is the larger one, but the M16 has a blade of only 3" with several different configurations.
And lastly, the lock system has changed to be much more secure and positive. When the knife locks open, there is a spring loaded safety that locks the liner in the "closed" position. If the knife shifts rotationally in your hand, your fingers will be unable to move the liner in the open position until the release lever is pulled at the same time. It's pretty freakin' clever, really.
I'm not saying it's the perfect knife.
But it might be the perfect $30 knife.

But I do dig the wave opening, too. S'cool. I had an Emerson knock-off with it. I liked it.
12/8/10 5:21 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Always preferred spydercos but I'm actually becoming a fan of blackhawk's crucible knife designed by Kelly McCann.

3.25 inch blade, available in plain edge and partially serrated, G10 handle, and a tough, ergonomic design. I've seen them as cheap as $56 online, but never more than about $64-67 with shipping, so they're well worth the money.

Only thing I wish they'd do is switch from AUS-8 to S30V steel.
12/11/10 9:08 AM
Skpotamus

Sweet about the M16's coming down and getting a better lock. All the ones I had seen recently had been the more expensive ones that were longer.

I'm still not a huge fan of the liner lock, but if it's more solid than the benchmade liners, then it'd be worth looking into.
12/22/10 4:47 PM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 12/23/10 12:10 AM
All these 'knife laws' and gun laws are so freakin' stupid...Let's say I'm a 'knifer' and learned to shiv people in the joint and I live in England now and can't have a knife:I get one of these:

...or if that's too short, get one of these with a shank of 4". Get the most innocent-looking screwdriver with a pocket clip and voila you've got an icepick. Just carry it in a pocket protector and don't sharpen it.
/rant

Anyway, I'd go with Benchmade.
12/23/10 6:52 AM
wisdomseeker76

Check out Bram Frank's Spyderco's "Gunting" or his Cherusker Messer "Lapu Lapu Corto"
The Lapu is much easier to obtain, fairly cheap ($120 ?? and comes with a trainer)
I have both, I prefer the Lapu. Easier to manipulate b/c its a bit thinner. Both are 3". The Lapu has a Persian style blade, great for cutting. Not as good as the Gunting when it comes to stabbing. The Lapu sits high out of the pocket & has little teeth and striking points that are great for kubaton work until you can open the blade using the "kinetic" technology in your furious fit of violence. I don't like any knives that have a deep pocket style. Then again it does'nt really matter what kind of knife you have, as long as its sharp and you know how to use it. Tiger Woods would destroy me with the cheapest piece of crap golf clubs. Why? Because he knows how to play. You could buy the most expensive coolest killing knife man has ever seen, and go to the jungle in the philipens and be easily killed by some old man with a small stick. Why? b/c he knows how to play.

Sorry for the rant.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.