UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> "The Pace Choke" from UFC last night - GIF

12/5/10 12:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caposa
1655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Pace defeats Will Campuzano via sub at 4:32 of Round 3

guess its like a triangle/guillotine?

in the post fight it was christened "The Pace Choke"
12/5/10 12:33 PM
BuddyRevell
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice move.
12/5/10 12:34 PM
GrayKickass
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was wonderful
12/5/10 12:35 PM
Fake Rassler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRE - day 1 stuff, textbook Helio.

the only difference is that helio would have let campuzano break his arms and legs before applying the hold as a way to prove a point about the effectiveness of GJJ
12/5/10 12:42 PM
CagePotato
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IRISH ARE INFERIOR TO GREEKS - how did that not get sotn

Pace missed weight. It's punishment.
12/5/10 12:47 PM
CombatAthLeteXX
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/10 12:48 PM
Not sure where Pace trains, but this is not new, he did not invent it. I've seen it in tournaments and regularly in training. It's simply a variation of a triangle. Lets end this "Pace Choke" nonsense now. I guess we should call it "The Silva Choke" instead? Blue namer please if you would:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/projectmayhemx/AndersonSilva.jpg
12/5/10 12:49 PM
BuddyRevell
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arm positioning looks different.

12/5/10 12:52 PM
HuskersBlowDick
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BuddyRevell - Arm positioning looks different.

in the gif the choking arm was grabbing his foot... he probably didn't actually need the second arm
12/5/10 12:57 PM
stabmasterarson
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit, thats the coolest sub Ive seen in a while
12/5/10 1:00 PM
CombatAthLeteXX
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be honest, it's a pretty low percentage move. Looking at the gif it should be pretty easy to defend since Pace's left leg isn't free. A savvy Jiu Jitsu guy would see this coming and pass to the right over Pace's left leg. I dunno, is it just me or does it look like Will could simply push Pace's heel up to relieve pressure and spin to the right to get out of this choke? My guess is Will was tired, didn't know what he was caught in, and was taken by suprise. Props to Pace for pulling it off, but I don't think this is going to be a high percentage "signature move" and it definitely shouldn't be named "The Pace Choke" considering it's probably been around longer than Pace is alive.
12/5/10 1:16 PM
anunaki
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i leaned that joke (in the gi) 11 years ago because my guard kept getting passed.

we called it the the Helio choke. instead of grabbing your foot, you grab your opponents collar
12/5/10 1:29 PM
John Clarke
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice move, without a doubt. This choke has been around for a while. I've seen it called the "invisible collar choke". You are reaching across your opponents neck to grab your shin like you would set up a collar choke. Pace added extra pressure by using his other arm to help pull his leg down.

Certainly not a new move.
12/5/10 1:33 PM
DJLastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's what we call an armless triangle. Right leg behind the head, right foream under the chin, right hand PALM UP under the right shin. I try this when my opponent traps my other leg and I can't close the triangle.

CombatAthleteXX - you're right about how to get out of the armless, but doing so allows the trapped leg to come free and close a real triangle.

It's a legit move but it requires flexible knees. I used it to trangle the guy that taught it to me a couple weeks after he showed me. IMO - far better as a setup move...but nasty if you can finish it.
12/5/10 1:36 PM
caposa
1655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/10 1:36 PM
great info

Rogan said he never saw it before

12/5/10 1:57 PM
kungfugrip

yeah got solid ground sub while on the back. Not seeing much of that anymore
12/5/10 2:05 PM
Robin Ashe

joe bruce - i dont see how he got both sides of the neck

You don't need to, one side is good enough. It's not about the carotid arteries - you shouldn't believe what someone who isn't a physician says about anatomy. Basic observation skills and deductive reasoning reveal that blood flow from the brain is restricted rather than to the brain. Talking to a graduate or post-graduate biologist and taking a look at cross-sectional slides of the neck will make things more clear.
12/5/10 2:18 PM
CompanyBlue

Yeah the move has been around, probably first saw it in 96 or 97, but it doesn't work very well. I think Nick Starks might have even put that move on his old instructionals, which were somewhat of a joke.
12/5/10 2:41 PM
Brian Rule
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man that's sweet, i'm def gonna try that

that said i kinda dislike the recent trend of old moves being named/renamed in post-fight interviews. don't get me wrong -- i think it's awesome pace pulled this off, and obviously it's a super unusual move -- but like the 'mr wonderful' guys have probably been doing this for decades
12/5/10 2:48 PM
thebrownbison

Pace's right arm (the one applying the choke) is inside of his leg around the head whereas Silva's left arm (applying the choke) is outside and around his leg. Pace's version allows him to grab the underhook on his own leg (as DJLastCall is describing) while Silva has to grab his own forearm to complete it. Otherwise, same exact choke. Phone Post
12/5/10 3:05 PM
Kostakio
494 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done that move before on a white belt once because he was about to pass my guard after he defended my triangle attempt. I was like, "Oh sh1t..." and then slapped that on. haha Phone Post
12/5/10 3:51 PM
anunaki
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in the gi or the way pace did it, you have to stay TIGHT, give no space and be in perfect positioning. you also need to CRANK it. Its def. low percentage.

but in rd 3 of a tough fight, it looks like a good option.
12/5/10 4:01 PM
White347LX

As others on this thread have pointed out, this is one of those things that only works against someone who has never seen it before. I got tapped with it once about 7 years ago and it'll never happen again. Like a calf crunch, bicep slicer, or rubber guard it's easy to avoid.
12/5/10 4:02 PM
BJJkilla
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cerrone was trying for this in his first fight with varner. not a easy sub to pull off.
12/5/10 4:04 PM
FrancisMH
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

should be called "The Pacemaker"
12/5/10 4:29 PM
FogDude

lol@ these guys claiming they invented these moves. I learned this as a white belt 5 years ago. Looks like an armless triangle to me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.