UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> K. Kizer Responds to Garcia-Phan Dec. Controversy

12/6/10 6:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
robnashville
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

“If Joe Rogan wants to get on the air and call people names, that’s his business. I’m not going waste my time responding to that.” says Keith Kizer, head of the NSAC.

Briefly addressing Rogan’s criticism, Kizer points to hypocrisy on Rogan and the UFC’s part:

“They always say that ‘the UFC has nothing to do with judging.’ Well guess what, they’ve got a big fight coming up in Canada called Koscheck vs. Georges St. Pierre - the UFC and Marc Ratner are flying Tony Weeks up there as a judge. C’mon, Joe. How about some honesty? They’ve taken 90% of our officials overseas with them, as they should. That’s not a knock on Dana [White] and Marc [Ratner]; they know what they’re doing.”

Although Keith feels strongly that Joe Rogan addressed the issue in an inappropriate way, he does acknowledge that there are fair criticisms to be made of the score cards presented by NSAC-appointed judges Tony Weeks and Adelaide Byrd who scored the fight 29-28 for Garcia.

“Yeah, I have a problem with how they scored the third round. Definitely. I mean, they’re both very good judges which makes it all the more surprising.” Kizer himself attended the event and scored the fight 30-27 for Nam Phan.

Jon Luther has more with Keith Kizer at
http://www.mmafa.tv/news/blogs/commissioner-kizer-responds-to-garcia-vs-phan-controversy-points-out-ufc-hypocrisy.html
12/6/10 6:38 PM
hmb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/6/10 6:38 PM
jjj2121

Very fair response.

Stop saying it's not up to you Dana, you employ these incompetent assholes at shows not overseen by the NSAC?

How was Doug Crosby able to score Edgar-Penn I 50-45?  Because Zuffa put him there.

They are willing bedpartners.
12/6/10 6:40 PM
NonstopRocker03

Dana specifically said he scored it 29-28 for Rampage and that there would be NO rematch for that sole reason.

LOLkizer
12/6/10 6:42 PM
HexRei

Well this fight was in Vegas so the excuse doesn't pertain to this event.

BUT, let's face it, Dana brings those established judges because it's better than picking random folks he likes which would elicit all kinds of cries of corruption. Imagine the field day reporters would have.

But I also think Kizer's reponse was generally reasonable, at least he acknowldged the terrible decision which is a start.
12/6/10 6:43 PM
Kostakio
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1st Phone Post
12/6/10 6:44 PM
HOWtasteMYbigPP
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn good point by Kizer, I actually never even thought about that before now. But, why doesn't the UFC just bring-in their own judges unassociated with any athletic commission for shows not in the United States?
12/6/10 6:45 PM
charms434
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sooo Kizer won't address the real problem. He got his feelings hurt by Joe Rogan so instead of acting like the face and head of a public commission, he instead took his ball and went home. .... Joe may have insulted you but you insult the fans. Phone Post
12/6/10 6:46 PM
NonstopRocker03

inb4Rogan calls him a faggot
12/6/10 6:47 PM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

this is SO accurate...

Maybe they are full of some self-hate, some self-pity... maybe that's Rogan's piece as well."
12/6/10 6:48 PM
dunchurrn
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Keith, the NSAC was thrust into the position of being the leading athletic commission by economic virtue and nothing else. You shouldn't point to a former executive director proliferating the old boy's network outside your borders as evidence of success or excellence.

Your state's judging has issues because of a long history of cronyism and YOUR OWN PERSONAL PRACTICES HAVING EFFECT ON THE SCORING. Judges are scared to score 10-10 rounds because you berate them afterwards and blacklist people. Now, maybe my memory isn't what it used to be, but last time I read the unified rules I could've sworn that there were no references to your name.

Your commission is in a position of power and responsibility whether you like it or not. Other commissions follow your example, and your example is a terrible one that has an adverse effect on the quality of judging.
12/6/10 6:48 PM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

Edited: 12/06/10 6:49 PM
charms434 - Sooo Kizer won't address the real problem. He got his feelings hurt by Joe Rogan so instead of acting like the face and head of a public commission, he instead took his ball and went home. .... Joe may have insulted you but you insult the fans. Phone Post

no, it's more like joe acted like a 14 year old kid, completely abandoning professionalism of any kind and should be blasted for it just as badly as anyone.

right or wrong isn't the point. it's the junior high approach that is, and he's dead right.
I like rogan, and he's by far my favorite voice of mma. but that was completely unacceptable at every level.
12/6/10 6:49 PM
OmegaPoon
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - Well this fight was in Vegas so the excuse doesn't pertain to this event.

BUT, let's face it, Dana brings those established judges because it's better than picking random folks he likes which would elicit all kinds of cries of corruption. Imagine the field day reporters would have.

ding ding ding
12/6/10 6:49 PM
orcus

RickMartelsArrogance -  <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); ">“A lot of people were saying that about the Rampage vs. Machida fight. Even Dana White said that. You get people who love to overreact. Obviously there are people who want to feel superior than others, trash others. Maybe they are full of some self-hate, some self-pity… maybe that’s Rogan’s piece as well."</span><div>

<font class="Apple-style-span" color="#999999" face="Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 20px;">when did Dana EVER say Rampage vs Machida was a robbery?  more lies as usual from Kizer.</span></font><br style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; " /> </div>

He probably meant Shogun/Machida I.
12/6/10 6:50 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HOWtasteMYbigPP - Damn good point by Kizer, I actually never even thought about that before now. But, why doesn't the UFC just bring-in their own judges unassociated with any athletic commission for shows not in the United States?
Because it would make it appear as if the UFC had a hand in particular decisions, and would bring about talk of corruption. Say, for example, there's a close decision on a Canadian card, and the 3 judges are brought in by the UFC. And we'll say the decision is between...I dunno, GSP vs Koscheck, and GSP wins the decision. Even if the decision is rightfully GSP's, people will argue it if it's even remotely close, and say that he won the decision because he's the UFC poster boy. 

K-Dub-"T"

EckY
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is what annoys me about Kizer, his constant stick his head in the sand and hope it goes away line of thinking is total bullshit.

He does bring up a good point though, UFC bring these fucking retarded judges with them to the overseas shows.  PRIDE had the right idea with using ex-fighters as judges and having a scoring system designed for MMA.
12/6/10 6:51 PM
NonstopRocker03

Rogan didn't abandon professionalism, he spoke the truth.

He's 100% right about the phrase "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" being unfortunate.

People shouldn't have to worry about getting robbed and having to finish the fight.

People should just be able to fight and not have any thoughts like that enter their mind.
12/6/10 6:52 PM
Zaromskis

ummm if the ufc is EMPLOYING THESE PEOPLE then HOW THE FUCK do they get to complain?

stop employing them

and rogan can stfu. it was unprofessional as hell
12/6/10 6:53 PM
K-Dub-"T"

Zaromskis - ummm if the ufc is EMPLOYING THESE PEOPLE then HOW THE FUCK do they get to complain?
Just a guess: Because they cannot hire anyone else who isn't licensed by the commission.......

12/6/10 6:53 PM
jbapk

"I mean, they’re both very good judges which makes it all the more surprising.”

They're fucking awful judges who constantly screw up in MMA and Boxing.

Keith Kizer is a drone who doesn't want to rock the boat and take some responsibility for what's happening on his watch in case is bits him in the ass.

The UFC should take a stand against these awful judges, but I bet the reason they fly guys like Weeks in is to maintain continuity with Nevada and other states.
12/6/10 6:54 PM
Fake Rassler

dunchurrn - Hey Keith, the NSAC was thrust into the position of being the leading athletic commission by economic virtue and nothing else. You shouldn't point to a former executive director proliferating the old boy's network outside your borders as evidence of success or excellence.

Your state's judging has issues because of a long history of cronyism and YOUR OWN PERSONAL PRACTICES HAVING EFFECT ON THE SCORING. Judges are scared to score 10-10 rounds because you berate them afterwards and blacklist people. Now, maybe my memory isn't what it used to be, but last time I read the unified rules I could've sworn that there were no references to your name.

Your commission is in a position of power and responsibility whether you like it or not. Other commissions follow your example, and your example is a terrible one that has an adverse effect on the quality of judging.

+1 billion and I wish I could say more
12/6/10 6:55 PM
BlackLesnar

Seems....off
12/6/10 7:00 PM
Zaromskis

Edited: 12/06/10 7:01 PM
delete
12/6/10 7:01 PM
goku

kizer why dont you just fucking admit that there are problems to correct instead of deflecting criticism back to rogan? do your f-ing job and make some changes..christ...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.