UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo kids 9

12/13/10 4:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoinmotion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/13/10 8:42 PM

Latest judo tournaments. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzhhA-3_pEc
12/13/10 5:53 PM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I couldn't find the video when I did a v=. Also tried to cut and past the complete link.
12/13/10 8:43 PM
judoinmotion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I edit the link. Maybe now it will work. Thanks
12/14/10 6:20 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sure did, watched it 5 times. His deashi against weaker opponents is a nice throw. And his counters against the bigger kids shows he has a complete understanding of the game. Mat work is awesome. I liked his sankaku pin attempt at the 1.42. mark. And his turnover at 1:58 where he has the opposite arm from underneath and grabs the near the leg and turns the opponent for a pin was amazing to watch. He has all the skills for a future champion at the senior level. We have 1 kid in the whole state of Michigan with simlar talent but is younger. My budy's son - Nick Joseph. Nick has one video on youtube at the 2010 US junior open. thanks,
12/14/10 11:43 AM
judoinmotion

judoblackbelt - I sure did, watched it 5 times. His deashi against weaker opponents is a nice throw. And his counters against the bigger kids shows he has a complete understanding of the game. Mat work is awesome. I liked his sankaku pin attempt at the 1.42. mark. And his turnover at 1:58 where he has the opposite arm from underneath and grabs the near the leg and turns the opponent for a pin was amazing to watch. He has all the skills for a future champion at the senior level. We have 1 kid in the whole state of Michigan with simlar talent but is younger. My budy's son - Nick Joseph. Nick has one video on youtube at the 2010 US junior open. thanks,

JBB, thanks for your comments. He is fighting in 2 divisions (11 , 12) (13 , 14). He only weights 84 lbs. Some times he seems taller than the other kids but he is always the lightest, reason that he could,t flip the other kid for the bow and arrow in his last match. We know Nick and his father. From time to time Alec and Nick fight each other. Nick moved to a heavier division.
12/14/10 6:20 PM
judoblackbelt

Alec looks like he weighs more probably when I see him fight the bigger(older kids division). My only reccomendation is when he is fighting the bigger kids and has a side pin (mune/yoko shiho gatame) have him transition to north south pin (kami shiho gatame or kusure kami shiho gatame). Sometimes ( from side control) I like to grab the gi pant near the closest knee and press down for like size opponents. This prevents them from moving their hips to try and escape. Nick is going to Japan this x-mas to train. He has not developed the all around game Alec has.
12/14/10 8:44 PM
judoinmotion

Good for Nick and his father! I love their dedication. We've been "bump" on each other for many years in these nationals.
As for the yoko shiho, Alec should have his right knee on the kid's hip and not the other way around. (some times he forgets stuff). He could have transitioned to Kami shiro, which he is not comfortable in doing it yet for some reason. I should have videos of Alec against Nick. I know that Nick beat Alec once, I am not sure in which nationals. I'll check.
12/15/10 8:26 AM
judoblackbelt

Thanks, one reason I like to transition to kami shiho gatame is the bottom person usually tries to turn into you and as you transition they are on their side where you now can tie up the arm in Sankaku and this opens a pin/choke/sankaku leg choke/sit thru on the elbow. I trainied last night with his Nick and his dad(Rick) and Rick said they know you and your son well. It is sad in the whole state of Michigan, one kid with a lot of upside potential.
12/15/10 12:57 PM
judoinmotion

I understand the transition you mentioned and it is effective.
I would like to extend an invitation to you, Nick and Rick to come to my school and train with us maybe one weekend. Just let me know when! Lately I am thinking in sign my two sons to the BJJ Pan ams in California in February.
12/15/10 3:26 PM
JerseyJoeJitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoinmotion -  Lately I am thinking in sign my two sons to the BJJ Pan ams in California in February.

You totally should. If there's one thing we need at BJJ tournaments it's more people who play the standing game. I'm so sick of guard pulling being okay. 
12/15/10 8:05 PM
judoblackbelt

To Jerseyjoe jitsu- These (2)kids have awesome ground games in addition to their standup. They are no stranger to the submission/BJJ game and do quit well.

Judoinmotion- thanks for the invite, Rick said you belong to a smaller club in Illinois. I know Rick/Nick sometimes travel all over the US to tournaments/training camps. And your comment about the knee on the hip is naothr way to prevent movement. I just like to transition to north-south because of all the possibilities. Especially if you tripod your legs. Key with big fellas is get your arms (around theirs) a little lower than usual.
12/16/10 4:03 PM
JerseyJoeJitsu

judoblackbelt - To Jerseyjoe jitsu- These (2)kids have awesome ground games in addition to their standup. They are no stranger to the submission/BJJ game and do quit well.

My bad, did i sound like i was implying they didnt?  I was being totally serious. I want more judo based guys in BJJ tournaments. The standup at some local tournaments is horrific. 
12/16/10 5:42 PM
judoblackbelt

Not at all. I try not to be "defensive/offensive" with comments like I read on the BJJ forum when both our sports are discussed in tandum. Many clips of his 2 sons fighting in bjj gi/no gi have been posted and these kids just dominate their divisions. IN fact judoinmotion posts his sons videos on the BJJ forum when they compete in gi/no-gi and hardly a pin drops. I tried my darnness to promote what you would like to see here locally in Michigan but judo players do not going to bjj tournaments and getting beat and bjj players do not going to judo tounaments and getting beat. His kids are the exception and are higher caliber players that will be successful whether it is bjj/judo. I think BJJ needs to eliminate pulling guard and mandate a takedown attempt by either player. DO you see this happening in sport BJJ?
12/16/10 9:42 PM
judoinmotion

Judoinmotion- thanks for the invite, Rick said you belong to a smaller club in Illinois. I know Rick/Nick sometimes travel all over the US to tournaments/training camps.

You're welcome. I open my own school about one year ago and we are going strong!
12/16/10 11:50 PM
JerseyJoeJitsu

"I think BJJ needs to eliminate pulling guard and mandate a takedown attempt by either player. DO you see this happening in sport BJJ?"

Not for a long time. It's funny too because at white and blue belt, the person who gets the takedown usually wins. 

The problem is the way BJJ is taught. Until instructors start doing more stand up, people are going to keep pulling guard. Some people say their classes do stand up like, once a week, but I've yet to see it. The only people who train much stand up are active competitors. I get in arguments with guys over it all the time. They're like oh lets do stand up, AND THEY PULL GUARD! I'm like, why did you even want to start standing?

If I ever teach, I'm devoting at least one class a week entirely to standup. 
12/17/10 6:22 AM
judoblackbelt

To jersey joe jitsu- I have been affiliated with one of the local BJJ clubs - trained with them for 10 years. At their recent tournament players who got the takedown won 90% of the time up thru purple belt. Once they hit brown belt level and above a good bottom guard game is a must since there is a lot of strategy, similar skills and long matches. The takedown becomes a much lesser factor. Nice chat with you.
12/19/10 9:05 AM
leothelion

JerseyJoeJitsu - "I think BJJ needs to eliminate pulling guard and mandate a takedown attempt by either player. DO you see this happening in sport BJJ?"

Not for a long time. It's funny too because at white and blue belt, the person who gets the takedown usually wins. 

The problem is the way BJJ is taught. Until instructors start doing more stand up, people are going to keep pulling guard. Some people say their classes do stand up like, once a week, but I've yet to see it. The only people who train much stand up are active competitors. I get in arguments with guys over it all the time. They're like oh lets do stand up, AND THEY PULL GUARD! I'm like, why did you even want to start standing?

If I ever teach, I'm devoting at least one class a week entirely to standup. 

@jerseyjoeJitsu... I hear you, brother, so so true...

I am primarily a Judoka who trains in BJJ.....recently I have had more people approach me in BJJ about Judo takedowns....As BJJ white belt I am average on the ground...but when we start standing the game changes...I am in my world...with the throw...I think part of the problem is that Judo requires that a person know how to take a fall....so many Jiu-jitsu guys I know don't know how to take a fall...consequently they get hurt.....fortunately my BJJ instructor is also a BB in Judo...during standing randori he won't let people pull guard...they have to do a throw...
12/19/10 9:08 AM
leothelion

judoinmotion - Latest judo tournaments. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzhhA-3_pEc

Outstanding Judo.... I showed my son, a Junior Judo competitor, the video....Let him know these are type of competitors he will fight if he wants to compete at an elite level ( which he does)...
12/20/10 5:09 PM
judoinmotion

Thanks allcloser! Leothelion, I officially started training at Carlson Gracie's school in Chicago for about 5 months now. I 've been training gi and no gi in the mornings and I am enjoying rolling with the BJJ guys. I also have a lot of BJJ people approaching me to ask questions about my judo grips, throws, etc. which I have politely declining to talk about any judo while in these classes. I also try not to do anything judo related during BJJ class, but I do find my self sometimes grip fighting against the higher ranked belts there.
12/20/10 8:06 PM
judoblackbelt

Judoinmotion- when is I was training at the local BJJ school (8-10 yrs) I never talked about about judo either. Sometimes they would use me to do throws. They knew I was a judo Brown then Black but my judo bag gave me away to. Plus I competed in their local tournaments and at the Nationals/Arnold. Never won by submission all by throws/points. I am not into all the gi patches and just wore my Mizuno gi. I just trainied and learned but in my fighting I used judo 80-90% of the time since they were not familar with it as much as BJJ. But I did develope a bottom guard game. My weakest point is still breaking the close guard from a skilled bottom guard player.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.