UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Any biomechanics people here - help needed

12/13/10 9:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
groundfighter2000
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering if you could help me out. I need help on how to calculate joint reaction forces, ground reaction force and torques.

Basically I'm doing a mini project on runners with a forefoot strike vs. heel strike for my biomechanics class. I have two pictures of the same runner one doing a heel strike, and one doing a foot strike. I've made free body diagrams of them, (two link models, separating the foot and the lower leg).

And I have an anthropometric table, so that I can measure the segments and use the table to figure out the Center of Mass for the segment.

I guess I'm just not getting where the angles come into play . And I have to put in my own numbers/data cause there is none available. So I am gonna go by the assumption that this runner is 150 lbs.

Here are the pictures:

Heel Strike

Forefoot Strike

1/7/11 8:21 PM
Mocrates
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You need to post free body diagrams with at least velocities.

Then I can figure out if I even remember enough physics to help you.

One thing to consider is that the forefoot strike has more of a roll to it, as opposed the heel strike which is more a true strike with much higher registries on force plates.

Here is a video of the study conducted at Harvard

http://bcove.me/0idl250j

1/7/11 8:25 PM
Mocrates
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After looking at the video, you definitely need the descending velocity vector of the foot to be able to calculate forces and torques.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.