UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pierson faces ultimatum, cop or UFC fighter?

12/15/10 12:19 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Sean Pierson has two budding careers ahead of him, but he gets to choose only one.

The mixed martial arts champion was recently hired by the Toronto Police. But the force says Pierson, 34, must choose between becoming a cop and becoming a famous fighter.

“I’ve been told I have to pick a dream,” he said. “I’m being asked do I want to fight or do I want to be a police officer?”

Pierson has been fighting professionally for more than a decade. And he spent four years working to become a police officer — a boyhood dream.

read entire article...

12/15/10 12:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
piratepirate
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, tough call if you really wanted to be a cop.

But honestly, you can always go back to law enforcement somewhere.
12/15/10 12:21 AM
D3structo
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/15/10 12:21 AM
Be a fighter. He can always become a cop but to be a UFC fighter is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
12/15/10 12:29 AM
MuayTy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a dilema I'd say fighter follow the decade long dream cop can wait Phone Post
12/15/10 12:36 AM
inf0
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighting in the UFC is only going to be a huge boom to his MMA teaching business. Being a cop, while a very respectable job, also puts his life in danger. He's got a family, at least a little 2 year old from what I read and this has to be a consideration. You might get beat up pretty good in the UFC but you're not coming home in a box even if you have an extremely bad day, being a cop, even in Canada, this is always a possibility.

12/15/10 12:37 AM
Hessian
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

T.O. could use more police.
12/15/10 12:55 AM
figure four
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i guess this is a SOP...

He would be the 2nd fighter forced to quit since joining the force...

Rob Macdonald (TUF Season 2) quit after he joined PEEL Police
12/15/10 12:57 AM
KC007

This is a real tough decision. Everyone who's saying he can go back to being a cop anytime, it's not that simple. Of course getting a shot at UFC is huge but so is being a cop in Toronto especially if it's been a boyhood dream. It won't be easy for him to get back on the force if he turns this down. Phone Post
12/15/10 1:04 AM
figure four

My mistake...

Rob Macdonald was a PEEL Policeman (Mississauga) first...
Quit the force to go on Season 2
Pursued his dream of MMA
Joined Toronto Police - I guess PEEL wouldn't take him back
12/15/10 1:05 AM
figure four

How about Forrest - wasn't he on the police force?
12/15/10 1:57 AM
Sinatar
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The odds of actually making it in MMA and securing your future financially are pretty slim. Being a cop is the smart play here.
12/15/10 2:30 AM
DanTheWolfman

yes Forrest served on two dept, quite to go on TUF, worked out pretty well for him, said he wanted to get back into it when I interviewed him just after TUF, wanted to go into DHS, but don't think he knew how well things would work out
12/15/10 2:31 AM
Reggie Warren Jr
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reggie Warren Jr, The Man
 I like this guy. Talked a little bit with him backstage at the event...really cool guy and a damn good fighter. His little jump spinning axe kick friend was fucking staring at me though...I would've fought him, but didnt' want to get him thrown out of the UFC.
12/15/10 2:59 AM
sgotwalks
1075 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of people can go on to become cops if they put their minds to it. Very few can fight in the UFC........very few, and for this reason alone it is a no brainer. Now add to this the fact that the pricks are laying down the ultimatum when there is such a rare opportunity sitting in the palm of this guys hands, he can't be a cop now. Not if it means giving up the ultimate dream of being a professional athlete on one of the worlds brightest stages, because if he did sacrifice this opportunity he would surely become a bitter disgruntled cop, and bitter disgruntled cops are not good for the cop business. They're not good for any business. Any cop is not good for my business for that matter. That's a joke. Don't make me change my IP address.

12/15/10 4:39 AM
El Ninja
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one thing folks may not realize is that cops in Canada make pretty good cash: within a few years a TO copper with a little overtime could make over $100k/year, something to give serious consideration if you have small children i would think.  good luck to him.
12/15/10 7:12 AM
bonersaurus
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El ninja is correct. Cops are paid very well in Canada. It is legitimately a tough choice. Phone Post
12/15/10 7:17 AM
MAG

Not to be a dick - but he doesnt have what it takes to be a top MMA fighter - especially if his skills are where they are at now at age 34. Which means he will be fighting for pennies...

In T.O. he can earn $100k/year (as someone already said). Very stable income, great pension plan.

Sure it mot be living his dream, but like another person said - at age 34 how much of a career does he have left? Most guys are considering leaving the sport at that age - not beginning a UFC career.

It's a harsh reality - but sometimes timing is not on your side. If he was 21 it would have been a different story.
12/15/10 7:30 AM
sgotwalks
1075 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hear what you guys are saying, and I posted in a thread he was in the other night that he would need to climb the ladder very fast at his age. Therefore, I suggested his ultimate goal should be getting on that Toronto card and having an experience that will not be matched by anything else life is likely to bring his way. If the force would deny him the opportunity to fight on that one card in five months from now than he might want to come over to the dark side, because that would be fucking cruel.

This is providing it is even an option for him to fight on that card, but being from Toronto and coming off a fight of the night performance.......I would imagine his chances would strong.
12/15/10 7:33 AM
sarcotraps

He is not a big name so i don't think he will get paid that well.If the cop job pays that good he should take the cop job.I would think the cop job also comes with benefits and retirement if that is how it works in Canada.
12/15/10 7:50 AM
sewich
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lets see

fight on a undercard every 4-6 months for lets say 20k to be very generous, only a few years left to be realistic, no retirement plan and if you get a career ending injury you are fucked

stay a PO and get paid very well, benifits,retirement and pention plan

its not that hard of a decision if you look at it logicly
12/15/10 8:03 AM
figure four

get it out of your system...

you are 34 and your window is closing - Go for it!

Then go join PEEL or another force...

Like mentioned above you don't want to be disgruntled all your life and you don't want to resent yourself for not giving it a go...
12/15/10 8:06 AM
SteamRolledbyMcOracle

"Police spokesman Tony Vella did not comment directly on Pierson’s case but said every police officer who has paid “secondary employment” must first clear it with the force. Requests for secondary employment can be denied if it constitutes a conflict of interest, Vella said. He did not elaborate on what type of job would constitute a conflict."

This is TOTAL BULLSHIT!!

Fuck you McGuinty, Blair and especially that cocksucker Haper!

-“anti-authoritarian” client
12/15/10 8:13 AM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

sewich - lets see

fight on a undercard every 4-6 months for lets say 20k to be very generous, only a few years left to be realistic, no retirement plan and if you get a career ending injury you are fucked

exactly. this isn't rocket science. it's not like he's a superstar.
12/15/10 8:19 AM
figure four

humphrey sphinctermuscle - 
sewich - lets see

exactly. this isn't rocket science. it's not like he's a superstar.

The Man maybe 34...But he has a chance to live out his dream
Go for it and don't look back - Another Police force will take you in
12/15/10 8:23 AM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny, they didn't force Rob MacDonald to choose between professions when he was in the UFC. It's probably because of all of the press Pierson is getting in T.O.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.