UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Night terrors / sleep paralysis

12/16/10 2:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many of you have ever had night terrors or episodes of sleep paralysis? What do you think is the origin of these phenomena, supernatural or natural, physical body / mind processes?

If you have had an episode of either, did it influence your worldview or change your thinking about life / death in any fundamental way?
12/16/10 4:03 PM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tend to think it is spiritual in nature. Possible demonic oppression.

I also think it depends on the circumstance.
1/15/11 7:48 PM
Lahi
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it depends too. I've had both, a lot more night terrors. Most of both for me I would say were not directly supernatural, but a couple I think were.
1/17/11 1:25 AM
Lahi
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I can ask what do you think Grakman? I'm not sure how typical I am, but for me supernatural stuff doesn't seem to have a big impact on my worldview, at least practically. If I'm not working to surrender my life to Jesus, loving God and loving man, I seem to loose any kind of spiritual focus pretty quick. I've seen a fair number things that I'm convinced were supernatural, but I think even without those I would probably still be a Christian because of the other less obvious experiences I've had.
1/17/11 6:57 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no..sounds scary...if true and not just some kind of delusion, then i would cast my vote with the demonic possesion answer.
1/17/11 7:03 AM
Sliced
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not demonic at all. Night terrors are a parasomniac disorder caused from your brain leaving slow wave sleep and getting caught between sleeping and waking. Happens all the time.
1/17/11 7:11 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

prove it
1/17/11 10:10 AM
Grakman

Lahi, I've had a couple of them. The first one was years ago, it had all the elements  - auditory, olfactory, and visual sensations (hallucinations?). I read everything I could about sleep paralysis on both the supernatural and natural side, and one thing I noticed that is not addressed in the natural, material explanation is the sense of overwhelming evil that was present. It isn't just fear like a nightmare, it isn't just fear from not being able to move... there was a real feeling of evil and dread present before I realized I could not move. The natural explanation explains the paralysis, but it doesn't explain why sleep paralysis only occurs during nightmares (if it does, I am unaware of it.)

I brought this up because I have had two other episodes more recently, and again there was the sense of evil and dread before I realized I could not move.

I am not sure if it's all in the mind or if it's supernatural, but regardless the only way I was able to go back to sleep was through prayer, whether by placebo effect or actual effect on the 'supernatural.'

If you've never had an experience like this... I don't know I can just tell you the natural explanation falls very short lol.
1/17/11 10:59 AM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman, I've experienced similar stuff. Scared the living daylights out of me. Only relief I found was crying out to Jesus.

I remember one clearly (I remember others but this one stood out) when I was younger. I was completely awake, a sense of dread and fear completely surrounding me. I was totally aware of my surroundings. My mom actually walked in my bedroom, checked on me, picked some clothes up off the floor, then went to turn off a light I had left on in the bathroom. I watched her the entire time. I tried to call out to her and move and couldn't. I was scared out of my mind. Starting praying and everything returned to normal and I went back to sleep.

I asked her about the next morning and she said that yes, that is exactly what she did but when she checked on me I was asleep with eyes closed and how did I know what she did. Couldn't explain it, but it was certainly real and happened.
1/17/11 11:52 PM
jimmy23
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

could be as simple as a physical cause

if it is more, then focusing on the problem tends to feed it and make it worse. Instead, as Lahi said, focus on communion with the god of your understanding, at most perhaps asking to learn what it is you are supposed to learn from these experiences with grace.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche

1/18/11 2:30 AM
Sliced
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robert Wynne -  prove it

Prove what? That it's not a demon? I'm offering a perfectly rational explanation. Do a little research and find out what causes night terrors. I don't need to prove anything.

You're the one saying there's some demon coming out of the underworld that's scaring the shit out of you just for fun. You prove it.
1/18/11 6:56 AM
Robert Wynne

Sliced - It's not demonic at all. Night terrors are a parasomniac disorder caused from your brain leaving slow wave sleep and getting caught between sleeping and waking. Happens all the time.

NO..prove this!
1/18/11 7:06 AM
Robert Wynne

Sliced -

You're the one saying there's some demon coming out of the underworld that's scaring the shit out of you just for fun. You prove it.
No, i never said no such thing, so you've now proven yourself to be a liar, or incapable of reading basic english.

1/18/11 4:06 PM
Sliced

Robert Wynne - 
Sliced -

No, i never said no such thing, so you've now proven yourself to be a liar, or incapable of reading basic english.

You did say such a thing.
I would cast my vote with the demonic possession answer
There you have it.

Night terrors usually occur in stage 4 of sleep. We don't know exactly what triggers them but it can be brought on by stress or heavy meds. Here's some resources

http://www.nightterrors.org/

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/night_terrors/article_em.htm

:)
1/18/11 4:51 PM
Lahi

I've never had the sleep paralysis with the feeling of evil, but I have heard others talk about that. I used to get it a lot, but it was just being aware of what was going on around me, but not being able to make myself move and get up.

With the night terrors, I think most of them were caused by unresolved stuff I'd buried. I think they are fairly common for people who have experienced trauma, and haven't properly processed it, which was the case with me.

What's weird is I've had sleep paralysis in a "dream within a dream," where the sense of evil was present, on two occasions. One of those I believe was supernatural, that's another story though.

I don't see any reason why there couldn't be something supernatural involved. As much as I don't like to dwell on that kind of stuff, and believe we can have complete freedom from it in Christ, I also believe its real and out there.
1/18/11 5:38 PM
Grakman

"There is more things in heaven and earth, Sliced, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." ;-)
1/18/11 6:11 PM
jimmy23
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

of course , something supernatural would have some physical effect, such as measurable brain wave deviations from the norm, if nothing else in the reaction to the event

to think that the ability to measure one aspect of the experience means you know all about it is a bit small minded, dont you think ?

1/19/11 12:28 AM
Sliced

jimmy23 -  of course , something supernatural would have some physical effect, such as measurable brain wave deviations from the norm, if nothing else in the reaction to the event

to think that the ability to measure one aspect of the experience means you know all about it is a bit small minded, dont you think ?

<br type="_moz" />

No, but to postulate unfounded assertions about supernatural phenomena that we can neither measure or observe, and therefore have no proof of, is irrational.

Look, I'm certainly not saying I know everything, but look at what we know about night terrors: Happens in sleep stage 4, induced by stress, certain medication, sleep deprivation, and fever. It usually begins 90 minutes after sleep begins. It is most common in children 3-12, and usually peaks around 3.5 years. It is usually resolved after adolescence.

Knowing what we know, what is more likely? That there is a physical cause that affects children that are under stress or have taken medication or that there is a demon coming to possess the child's body for a minute or two then leave? Remember Occam's Razor.

Yes, it's terrifying to those who have experienced it, but there is no reason to consider supernatural causes.
1/19/11 6:36 PM
Ranticidal Guy

Sliced you are absolutely correct but these guys are very closed minded to anything that doesn't support their world views. Phone Post
1/19/11 11:09 PM
Grakman

Ranticidal Guy -  Sliced you are absolutely correct but these guys are very closed minded to anything that doesn't support their world views. Phone Post
lol

1/20/11 2:38 AM
Robert Wynne

Sliced -

"You're the one saying there's some demon coming out of the underworld that's scaring the shit out of you just for fun."

Once again. no. i did not say this, you are trying to put words in my mouth.
1/20/11 3:11 AM
Ranticidal Guy

These things do not exist.... God, Satan, Demons, Ghosts, Spirits, Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, The Boogeyman. It's all bogus and I feel sorry for kids who's parents push this crap on them. Phone Post
1/20/11 2:02 PM
Grakman

Ranticidal Guy -  These things do not exist.... God, Satan, Demons, Ghosts, Spirits, Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, The Boogeyman. It's all bogus and I feel sorry for kids who's parents push this crap on them. Phone Post

From: Ranticidal Guy Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile
Posted: 19 hours ago
Ignore | Quote Event.observe("warnAdmin-32918680-down", "click", castVote); | Vote Down | Vote Up Event.observe("vote-32918680-down", "click", castVote); Event.observe("vote-32918680-up", "click", castVote);

Sliced you are absolutely correct but these guys are very closed minded to anything that doesn't support their world views
1/20/11 7:23 PM
Ranticidal Guy

I don't have to be open minded when dealing with complete and utter non-sense. The burden of proof is on you and your supernatural beliefs. I don't believe in unicorns either but it's not because I'm close minded. It's because they don't exist. Are you able to comprehend that? I'm thinking probably not... Phone Post
1/20/11 9:16 PM
Grakman

Ranticidal Guy -  I don't have to be open minded when dealing with complete and utter non-sense. The burden of proof is on you and your supernatural beliefs. I don't believe in unicorns either but it's not because I'm close minded. It's because they don't exist. Are you able to comprehend that? I'm thinking probably not... Phone Post

Not really.. it doesn't matter to me what you believe Ranticidal. I'm not out to convert anybody to my way of thinking. I don't need that validation. I'm merely amused by the irony.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.