UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Possible fake Black Belt

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

24 days ago
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matthew Godden
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Buffalo, NY

I forgot. Even Erie has a blackbelt or two,

24 days ago
BriggsSeekins
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am very curious how he hooked up with Lang. Lang has definitely done a ton of outreach to PA, though, and has been doing so for years. The guy claimed to MMAGuy he has known Lang for "nine years" which extends back beyond when Lang was even frauding in MMA. That goes back to his Car Part days, pretending to be a car expert. This guy is a heavy duty Christian, so they might have originally met through some Christian youth program or something.

He has a black belt from Eric Paulson that Eric Paulson confirmed yesterday to one of MMAGuy's contacts. I think he was a wrestler with no knowledge about BJJ. That is who Lang specializes in duping.
24 days ago
Matthew Godden
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Buffalo, NY

Did Paulson actually say he is a black belt under him in BJJ? I thought I remember (and I could be wrong) that Josh Barnett is his one and only BJJ black belt.

24 days ago
Matthew Godden

Black Belt, Buffalo, NY

Also nothing really comes up with this guy when you search his name and wrestling...

24 days ago
BriggsSeekins
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I assume MMAGuy's friend asked Paulson directly if he is a black belt. He spoke highly of him.

It looks dodgy but I have dealt with enough legitimate people who have been conned by Lang at this point to hold off on condemning this guy out of hand. I sent him a message on FB this morning. I can't access FB at work, so I don't know yet how he has responded.

I'm trying to present the most favorable possible interpretation of him at this point because I don't want the UG mob to go after him and drive him back to Lang before he's truly had a chance to come to terms with the fact that he's been conned.
24 days ago
KidJustice
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He may have gone thorough the CSW coaching process. Paulson does not give out many blackbelts, but he does certify CSW instructors and he watches them pretty close. The guy would have to at least have verified skill for Paulson to allow him to rep CSW.

24 days ago
Matthew Godden

Black Belt, Buffalo, NY

He's not listed as an affiliate on the CSW page.

24 days ago
Tio Te
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, San Diego, CA

I think Mike Demeko is lying about his black belt too.

23 days ago
mysticdragonblackbelt
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something definitely doesn't smell right here.

We're 100% certain Lang is incapable of getting anyone to blue belt let alone brown. If someone came to your school with a fake brown, you wouldn't promote them until they had progressed all the way through and, first, you would have to break it to them that they weren't a real brown. At that point any loyalty they had to the previous teacher would have been shattered.

I still agree with Briggs that he should get some benefit of the doubt for now. Perhaps the message/translation got jarbled somehow.
23 days ago
NCAA92
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems this Mike guy spells his name in various ways like Lang

https://www.facebook.com/events/911195742226649/permalink/934596643219892/
23 days ago
TalkShowOnMute
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Birds of a feather Phone Post 3.0
23 days ago
Lionpaws
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What horned to MMAguy Phone Post 3.0
23 days ago
marrilia
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And the plot thickens. ....dud dun duuuuun Phone Post 3.0
23 days ago
BriggsSeekins

Well, that name change is odd. If you are trying to build a legitimate reputation, it doesn't make sense.

This is the message MMAGuy sent me, sent to him by his friend who is close to Paulson:

"Listen buddy I just got off the phone with Eric. Eric says he is 100% legit his wrestling is legit his grappling is legit his school is legit and his competition record is legit. Eric knows of his past and knows he's not involved he said "Mike's a great person and if there's any more question to roll with him yourself."

It doesn't confirm that Demenko is actually a BB under Paulson. Also interesting is "Eric knows of his past"

Another curious thing about what Demenko said to MMAGuy is that he's known Lang for nine years or so. That means he knew Lang at the very start of all this fuckery. This is from a very extensive timeline that Lang's first wife wrote for me, detailing his general history, year by year:

"2005-
Posted online that he was beginning to train in martial arts.
April- No longer working for the J.M. Murray Center.
July to October- Worked at Groton Pizzeria in Groton, NY.
November- Dave's son was born
Worked for a month or so for Rent Way as a "repo man" as he put it.
Posted online that he had mastered boxing and Krav Maga and was starting to learn Brazilian Ju Jitzu."

Lang wasn't even making claims about BJJ until 2007. So if Demenko has really known him for nine years, he's known him through all the various black belts he was claiming.

Lang can't tell a coherent story for longer than a couple of months under the best of circumstances.

Demenko also claimed to MMAGuy that he had visited Lang's Ithaca school in 2010. That's a very suspicious claim, because Lang was definitely repping Ismael in 2010. He was never mentioning Giba (or Franca) even as old training partners.

23 days ago
Mr Bungle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mysticdragonblackbelt - Can we get someone (UG, Sherdog, Iole from Yahoo, etc) to write a story on this? Perhaps get quotes from Ismael and others?

Oh. I posted a threat on this to Sherdog. Giba deserves whatever publicity this gives him.

Fightland covered Dave in an article titled Martial Arts Pretenders: A History of Snake Oil Salesmen. They even mentioned how the UG tried their hardest to bring him down yet he's still out there fooling people, albeit in a much smaller capacity.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/martial-art-pretenders-a-history-of-imitators-and-snake-oil

Fightland doesn't have the reach, nor is it the type of investigative style like Iole at Yahoo Sports, or someone at Sports Illustrated.

21 days ago
TalkShowOnMute
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Mike has some skills but seems shady, wouldn't be the first time...

*Cough* Keith Owens *Cough* Phone Post 3.0
21 days ago
The Green Bastard
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BriggsSeekins - Well, that name change is odd. If you are trying to build a legitimate reputation, it doesn't make sense.

This is the message MMAGuy sent me, sent to him by his friend who is close to Paulson:

"Listen buddy I just got off the phone with Eric. Eric says he is 100% legit his wrestling is legit his grappling is legit his school is legit and his competition record is legit. Eric knows of his past and knows he's not involved he said "Mike's a great person and if there's any more question to roll with him yourself."

It doesn't confirm that Demenko is actually a BB under Paulson. Also interesting is "Eric knows of his past"

Another curious thing about what Demenko said to MMAGuy is that he's known Lang for nine years or so. That means he knew Lang at the very start of all this fuckery. This is from a very extensive timeline that Lang's first wife wrote for me, detailing his general history, year by year:

"2005-
Posted online that he was beginning to train in martial arts.
April- No longer working for the J.M. Murray Center.
July to October- Worked at Groton Pizzeria in Groton, NY.
November- Dave's son was born
Worked for a month or so for Rent Way as a "repo man" as he put it.
Posted online that he had mastered boxing and Krav Maga and was starting to learn Brazilian Ju Jitzu."

Lang wasn't even making claims about BJJ until 2007. So if Demenko has really known him for nine years, he's known him through all the various black belts he was claiming.

Lang can't tell a coherent story for longer than a couple of months under the best of circumstances.

Demenko also claimed to MMAGuy that he had visited Lang's Ithaca school in 2010. That's a very suspicious claim, because Lang was definitely repping Ismael in 2010. He was never mentioning Giba (or Franca) even as old training partners.

"if there is any question, roll with him yourself"

I didn't follow this part of the story line at all, but man thats the same thing lang tries to say, and barvo tried to say, and pretty much anybody legit or fake.
21 days ago
jcblass
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/13/15 9:40 PM

We need to admit defeat here. Lang has fucking won. No one stepped up to him and dealt with him. The BJJ community has enabled him over and over. This fat fuck shows up at tournaments wearing a black belt and "coaches" his students from the mat, yelling stupid shit like "watch out of the key locks" and no one calls him out on it.

If this guy was a fake Navy SEAL showing up at military events he would have had his ass handed to him. Even if this existed in the blood and guts era of Martial Arts, putting on a black belt you didn't earn meant you got your ass kicked. There was honor in that belt. Yet Lang is all over the place bragging and showing off his 3rd degree blackbelt despite videos from Wallad and so forth.

Hell, he was even featured on VICE! This thread alone has been seen 2 MILLION times, yet he still walks around unabated at BJJ tournaments, BJJ schools, posing with fighters, holding championship belts and getting shout outs from established fighters, yet everyone acts clueless. 

The biggest sin in all of this stems from his close proximity to children. He is someone with child sex offenses in his past yet uses his black belt to train and hang around kids. People were up in arms that Matt Bravo and that  "Jam Man" idiot made a few webpages, but never did anything beyond that. This pedo is interacting with kids and no one does anything. 

21 days ago
bartatua
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think that guy actually talked to Erik Paulson....

He isn't spelling his name right and Demenko reeks of shit
21 days ago
The Green Bastard
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jcblass - 

We need to admit defeat here. Lang has fucking won. No one stepped up to him and dealt with him. The BJJ community has enabled him over and over. This fat fuck shows up at tournaments wearing a black belt and "coaches" his students from the mat, yelling stupid shit like "watch out of the key locks" and no one calls him out on it.

If this guy was a fake Navy SEAL showing up at military events he would have had his ass handed to him. Even if this existed in the blood and guts era of Martial Arts, putting on a black belt you didn't earn meant you got your ass kicked. There was honor in that belt. Yet Lang is all over the place bragging and showing off his 3rd degree blackbelt despite videos from Wallad and so forth.

Hell, he was even featured on VICE! This thread alone has been seen 2 MILLION times, yet he still walks around unabated at BJJ tournaments, BJJ schools, posing with fighters, holding championship belts and getting shout outs from established fighters, yet everyone acts clueless. 

The biggest sin in all of this stems from his close proximity to children. He is someone with child sex offenses in his past yet uses his black belt to train and hang around kids. People were up in arms that Matt Bravo and that  "Jam Man" idiot made a few webpages, but never did anything beyond that. This pedo is interacting with kids and no one does anything. 

I think you are right, this is really bad for BJJ, not just this case, but it shows how quick so many "big name" black belts are to selling out. It is just going to get more and more watered down until it is no different then any TMA.
21 days ago
jcblass
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Green Bastard - 
jcblass - 

I think you are right, this is really bad for BJJ, not just this case, but it shows how quick so many "big name" black belts are to selling out. It is just going to get more and more watered down until it is no different then any TMA.

Where are the legit black belts or organizers who see Lang walk in the door and whisper to each other "Dude, that is the fat fuck Wallid made the video about, why is he here?"

It isn't like he is being talked about on a little known message forum, 2 MILLION people have viewed this thread, Wallid and the other guy made videos that slam this case shut. Vice News has featured him and Briggs has published all about him and contacted close associates.

Yet, Lang has not had to prove himself, or defend his actions face to face with someone with clout.

I understand maybe not wanting to get involved, however this guy has child rape accusations behind him and post photos teaching little kids. Ethically allowing him to go around peddling his lies is wrong. If he ever touches a kid, or rapes a teen, or commits a felony while "Acting" as a black belt...There should be hell to pay to any one of these black belts and tournament organizers who give him an essence of credibility.
21 days ago
TKD LOL
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let me EVER get a black belt in BJJ.  I am, ufortunately, a bit of a confrontational dude, always have been.  If i EVER saw him at a tournament, believe i'd at the very least have words for him.  no BS

21 days ago
Little EagleYoshida
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

https://www.facebook.com/295490203840106/photos/a.553277681394689.1073741827.295490203840106/814177075304747/

Here is Mike receiving his Black belt from Erik Paulson.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.demko.9?hc_location=ufi

That is another Facebook page for him which happens have no trace of lang or his other cronies. Did mmaguy talk to this guy on the phone or on facebook. Just seems odd to me that he has one facebook with all of Lang's followers and one with none of them. Is Dave catfishing the fuck out of everyone?
21 days ago
Must
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Palo Alto, CA

This is very confusing. How can a guy that self-admittingly says that he got his blue, purple and brown belts from Dave Lang go to Erik Paulson and recieve a legit bb from him? Obviously Dave Lang isn't capable of developing into a legit blue belt, let alone training someone else to bb level. It's so fishy with the multple fb accounts and so on. It's starting to feel like they somehow pulled one over on ole Erik Paulson.

21 days ago
marrilia
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.