UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Why both VB and C#?

12/19/10 6:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
azmatt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done  a decent amount of php development. I've recently been placed in a situation where I need to learn the .net environment.

What seems really weird it, why do instructionals found at lynda.com and other places seem to go back and forth between vb and C#. It seems to me like you would be better learning one before checking out the other, but maybe there is a good reason? Any experianced .net developers have suggetions for a good book or resource that stays focused on vb?

12/20/10 11:16 AM
reagan123
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are many different flavors of .NET. I do recommend learning just one of the syntaxes for now. Once you know one it isn't tough to transition to another.

My guess for Microsoft having both, plus others, was to provide a transition path for VB6 developers and C developers. It does seem like most examples nowadays are in C#, but VB is definitely still relevant.

As far as a book, there are plenty out there that focus on Visual Basic specifically. What is it you're trying to do? Once we figure that out I can try to provide a resource if I can.
12/20/10 4:14 PM
azmatt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most of what I do is simple stuff, pulling data from a db, cleaning it a little and either displaying out html results or taking the results and spitting out xml (kml, gpx, xml for flash charts etc.). that with a few simple forms for entering and manipulating data. Maybee C# is the way to go, I'm not married to vb.

I just transfered to a new office, and while web development is not the main part of my job, I find it's easier and much quicker to make what  I need rather than ask. My last office just used php and mysql, my new office is a .net shop. Any compelling reason to go with C#?

Thanks for the feedback,

Matt
12/20/10 8:31 PM
reagan123
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say no, not really. The language is just syntax, but it all gets compiled to MSIL behind the scenes.

The bigger thing, in my opinion, is to make sure you choose the right technology for the job. If it's web, are you going to use ASP.NET or Silverlight?

Based on the description from above, i'm assuming you just want the easiest way.

Here is a decent resource for ASP.NET.

http://www.asp.net/web-forms/fundamentals

This may be too basic, but there is a lot of info there.
12/21/10 3:49 PM
azmatt

I'm pretty sure the bottleneck will be whatever .net version they are running. I saw a very highly reviewed book on amazon using .net 4. Hopefully I won't shoot myself in the foot by learning things that I won't be able to implement.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.