UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Morel Mushroom hunting thread...

12/22/10 10:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VARIOUS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Plan to travel south this year to southern Indiana (Bloomington area) and get an extra week in. 
Last year was great but cut short by a vacation. 

Was lucky enough to find out that a guy listed as a world champion Morel hunter lives in my town and he gave me some great tips.

12/22/10 10:34 PM
VARIOUS

12/22/10 10:36 PM
VARIOUS

12/25/10 8:52 PM
enykamp

Looks delicious but you need to leave the roots, thats what makes them grow back in the same spot..
12/25/10 11:11 PM
VARIOUS

yep
12/31/10 12:07 AM
Aaron J

Sweet, I am going to do some research that sounds interesting.
12/31/10 12:41 AM
VARIOUS

It is fun hunting. I hit a huge area last year and for where I live went about a week too early last year.

THIS:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzg24_8JHDc

12/31/10 12:42 AM
VARIOUS

1/2/11 7:02 PM
Bewts
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My buddy used to make some good cash in B.C picking them. Best place to pick them is where a forest fire happened in the last couple years.
1/2/11 10:38 PM
VARIOUS

I asked the Mad Russian (google Morel Mushroom landscaping Indiana) and he told me to simply find the dead elm trees. The ones that are stripped of bark. The barck falls to the ground and becomes covered and the mushrooms grow out of it. 
  I found the majority of them around the dead elm trees in areas that had heavy leaf liter with moderate to large amounts of sunlight. 

1/7/11 10:38 AM
Nameless1

Edited: 01/08/11 9:37 PM
Im in Indiana....
Definately pluck the shrooms off at the groud, leaving the root/dirt ball in the ground. Also use some kind of vented sack - i.e. onion sack, potato sack, or I made one out of fabric screen cloth.
They say leaving the root ball in the ground means they will grow back. This is not always true, but its good practice.Carrying the mushrooms in a vented sack will also allow the spores to be spread as you walk around.
There are tons of myths and superstitions. They dont always hold true and there appears to be no method to the madness so to say.
Here are some that I have found to be consistantly true, yet also consistantly untrue during periods:
Look on the north side of hills, trees, etc... Less sun on the north side.
Elm trees. Places where fires have been. Logging areas .
Last year I found almost all of mine around ash trees. The ash trees are all dying because of the boring worm, have something to do with it?? Dunno...
I also found the majority on the west side of trees and hills.
Ive noticed the past couple years I have found little to no "peckerheads" , which are the first morels to usually pop up, and remain throughout the "season".
I think there are so many factors involved that its a toss up every year.
I was told once of a spot that existed by an old timer that was right out my back door, about 1/4 mile from the 80 acres I hunt. So I trespassed my ass on over there, and found 27 yellow sponge, the smallest one being the biggest I had ever found. The biggest was probably 12 inches tall and I couldnt fit my hand around the sponge at its base.
Almost all of them were too dry, I was late. On the other side of this spot, I found prob 4 pounds of gray and wood sponge.
I went back early, way early the next year, and continued unil way past season. That was 6 years ago and have not found one single mushroom there since.
There is only 1 spot that every single year has at least 3 (up to 30) large yellow sponge. Its right in the middle of a 4-wheeler trail, on a fence line, on the west side of a huge ash tree. I have been hitting that spot for the past 12 years.
1/7/11 1:01 PM
VARIOUS

Southern Indiana?^^
1/8/11 9:27 PM
Nameless1

Edited: 01/08/11 9:32 PM
No. West Central thereabouts....
1/9/11 4:26 AM
VARIOUS

Ft wayne here. Prob going to hit Bloomington in late April and then here in May
1/10/11 1:16 PM
Nameless1

Let me know how you do.

1/10/11 11:47 PM
VARIOUS

Will come back to this thread for sure in April. 
3/20/11 6:18 PM
von niten
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find almost all of mine around Elm, Cottonwood, Apple and Pines that are dying or have died within the last two years.  I spend more time looking up at the trees than I do at the ground.  Learn what those trees look like without leaves and save yourself a lot of time.   

3/20/11 11:24 PM
VARIOUS

ttt
3/21/11 12:24 PM
Nameless1

My brother in law showed me some pics on his phone yesterday sent from his buddy in southern Indiana . Prob 30-40 yellows and a few grays. Several big ones. We've had some good weather past week or so here in west central Indiana 50-70 degrees and a shit load of rain. Phone Post
3/21/11 7:47 PM
MachetePhil
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

morels pffft

-truffle hunter
3/21/11 7:51 PM
MachetePhil
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

j/k

I do have a question for real. Is there any other mushrooms these bad boys can get confused with.  I'd like to start looking for them when I'm in the woods, but I've never really learned any mushroom ID.  So I usually just see mushrooms and keep walking.

I'm gonna be in the woods a lot here in a few weeks and would like to feel confident I'm not bringing home the wrong thing if I see some of morels. I mean is there kinds you can't eat, what do I need to know about these things?
3/21/11 7:58 PM
VARIOUS

Yes. There are false morels. Do you homework. Alot of good info online. 

3/21/11 7:58 PM
VARIOUS

Look up Morels on facebook. There is a countrywide page with good contacts on it

3/22/11 1:54 PM
Nameless1

Yeah do some homework. There are other mushrooms that do Not look like morels that you Can eat as well as some you can Not eat. I pic alot of elephant ears which are really good. Oyster shells too. Puffballs but there is a window on them. Picked right sliced like a steak and cooked good eatin. Dandelion flowers cooked taste just like morels. Only the yellow flower part not the whole thing. A rule of thumb is, if bugs eat them its edible. You might puke or shit yourself but it won't kill you. Survival rule of thumb only, definitely educate yourself. Some mushrooms will make you hallucinate . Those were the good old days . Nobody believed they could be found in Indiana but just the right time, temp, moisture in the right pile of cow shit there they be ;) Phone Post
4/2/11 9:43 AM
von niten
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, I'm headed out to look a little today in the KC area.  Tomorrow, I hope to have more time.  I'm going to hit South facing slopes.  Fingers crossed.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.