UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> shin box

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/17/02 10:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shawn Mozen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jan-02

We often hear things like pliability, range of motion, and suppleness on this forum. ROSS is full of exercises that develop these characteristics and their importance once felt by the practitioner will open new worlds to their training. I thought I would share my experience with ROSS's shin box in the hopes of sparking a thread where others will join in and talk about their findings with ROSS. After playing with the shin box and various ground engagements related to it, I have become aware of the beauty and usefulness of this movement. At the outset there are those that will examine such movement and claim that "they have seen that before", or "thats nothing new I know someone who does that as part of their training also." The folly with this logic is that what is new is not the movement of the body but rather the application and focus of such a movement. I know several professional dances who quiet often can be found sitting in a shin box. Are they doing ROSS or is ROSS doing ballet? Both and neither! The dancers are being ROSSful and ROSS much like dance is exploring the body and increasing its practitioners "body awareness." What is remarkable is how ROSS creates the training platform and inspires the student to learn and examine. As I continue to play with the shin box I realize that this new (not really "new" but rather something old that I had lost) range of motion has had a profound effect on my martial skill and movement in general. As I learn to engage the ground from a standing position to a shin box and up again I remove some preconceived notions of how I "think" the body can move and replace them with how ideas about how my body "does" and "can" move. This awakening has drawn my attention to other areas of body movement and has allowed me to allow my body to move with greater easy, and suppleness. The relaxing effect has improved my grappling, throwing and striking through challenging old notions and spawning new experiments. Often martial artist will tense up as they feel their bodies moving in an "unnatural" position. This tension eats away at performance and itself can cause injury. Through examinations of such movements as the shin box we learn that what might have felt as unnatural is really not only possible but normal, and with our range of motion recovered our fear of certain movement is lifted and we are allowed to flow and adapt as our bodies as we were meant to do. ROSS moves from the simple to the sublime. If you are thinking about training in ROSS or have purchased any of the tapes, look at them with "fresh eyes", play with the material.... you may be amazed at what you can allow yourself to learn. Shawn Mozen
1/17/02 11:26 AM
tysaw
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shawn, a couple of months ago someone asked a question about the gtb and its relevance to bjj. That is my art as well and I shared some ideas that I felt I learned from the gtb. One of them was the utility of the shin box. Using the shin box plus the low squat, I really made my armbar from the mount and 1/2 mount VERY tight and fluid. The drills of switching the shin box, coming up to squat position and down to re-engage the ground, and standing engagement from the shin box all are applicable to obtaining armbars from mount/knee on chest. I used to have a lot of gaps or spaces as I moved to take the armbar...now I can move almost in slow motion and still get the arm because I never lose control throuhout the entire movement. Plus, if I have to switch to another attack I am ALWAYS in balance when I move. Because I am moving more efficiently, I expend less energy accomplishing my moves. Scott said in the gtb that the shin box is a position of great mobility AND stability at the same time...I didn't really get the meaning until I started to play with the drills and also dissect my base bjj moves to try to make them more efficient. Something as simple as sitting up from guard to take the hip bump sweep or guillotine or kimura armlock became much more efficient by just noticing that the final position is a shin box...this led to me inserting the drill where you sit up to one side in shin box/lay down and come up to the other side shin box drill. When I meet resistance as I sit up to take the neck/arm/sweep I will instantly swing to the opposite side to attack...ie I switch the shin box. This is a simple, basic move but the transition was made much smoother and fluid by drilling that move solo. Hope this makes sense.
1/17/02 11:31 AM
Shawn Mozen

Tysaw, Great example! Thanks for sharing, I hope people interested in ROSS visit this thread and get something from what we have shared and I hope that others will share their experiences. Shawn
1/17/02 5:57 PM
ajn

I had pretty much the same experience with armbars from the top. The ability to move and spin in position 1 really helps keep them low, controlled and tight. One of the shinbox/ground engagement drills has direct application to the crossover guard defense. Rising shin rolls have been a great boon in learning butterfly sweeps. Leg threading has made a big difference to my escapes to knees and some armbar counters. The "rock climbing" drill where you crawl backwards and forwards on your stomach has IMO increased the effectiveness of my side control positions. I used to tweak my neck at least every third or fourth BJJ session. While regular practice has conditioned my neck and I've learned to use it more efficiently, I feel the neck roll sequences have accellerated this process. I can't remember the last time I tweaked my neck, but I know it hasn't happened in several months of BJJ training 2 or 3 times a week.
1/24/02 8:37 PM
KENWINGJITSU

Edited: 24-Jan-02
Sweet thread. How about the Scarf hold escape using the shin box? I just happened on this one last week. I couldn't believe it. Guy has sidemount, you start to escape, he switches to scarf hold, you push up on his neck & hip out a little to create space, oompa up, & before he comes back down, you drop your legs to shin box away from him, which lets the momentum bring you up & him down. You now have sidemount on him. It's so easy, & energy efficient, it makes me giddy.
1/24/02 12:00 AM
sovann

Edited: 24-Jan-02
ttt

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.